PDA

View Full Version : looking to get into the electro scene

etjoyride
05-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok like the title says, I'm looking to get a mid-level electro gun (no spyders or piranhas or anything). Right now I'm looking at the Ion or an Evil Omen. However before I decide which gun to get, I thought i would ask you the always helpful AO group what you would think the best gun would be for an entry level electro player that might be getting into the tournament scene fairly soon as well. My price limit will be around $400 tops (unless i can find some one looking to trade their gun for a mag+ cash :) ). Oh and i've been playing paintball for about 4 1/2 years now so its not as if i'm a total noob.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

Eric Cartman
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Thought about Bushies at all? The B2K5 looks nice...

etjoyride
05-26-2005, 03:50 PM
welll i've seen some of the older moldel B2K's and a guy i know had 2 and they both gave him problems, so i think that i'm probably going to avoid those. Thanks for the idea though. Keep them coming guys

ojhspyro89
05-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Go with ICD guns. The problems he had where probably from user error. I dont think any icd marker has problems from other errors other than the user. Most of the errors are from being sloppy with the electronics and not keeping the gun up. All you have to do is clean and lube the gun after each day of play and youll be fine. They are cheap and pretty sweet. They seem to be looked down upon a little bit though. I recently built an older defiant and it shoots sweet. Its amazing how such of a old (being like 2-3 years :tard: ) can shoot so well. Its built the same as a b2k4 or whatever and shoots very very fast. I was keeping up with the higher end electros with my defiant. Thats with the stock board thats capped at 36 or something.

I wouldnt suggest a bko unless you have money to upgrade it. Outa the box they are kind of slow. If ou dump some money into it they can be pretty good though.

In fact, i have the defiant and half a bko for sale lol. Sorry for turning it into a bst though....

You could also mabye pick up a freestyle for that much if you look around for a stock one.

CaptainNeeda
05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I would recomend investing in a used emag. But then again, I cant keep my hands off mags.

etjoyride
05-26-2005, 04:42 PM
every one that was mentioning the ICD guns- I'll look into all the ICD guns a bit.
and as far as e-mags go- I wish i could get one, but the used ones are just a bit out of my price range. Thanks guys and keep the advice rolling in

buzzboy
05-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep. The BKO is the way to go in your situation.

JoshK
05-26-2005, 08:06 PM
I've seen stock emags go for $400...you just have to look around.

Also... is the $400 range for just the gun? Or does that include the faster hopper, hpa tank/system, and all the other stuff that you will want/need to upgrade to?

etjoyride
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
o sorry the $400 dollar price range is for the gun and an egg 2 w/ y or z board (usin a modded 9v revvy right now). Already have a 68/45 tank. so that adds 80-100 i guess. so I'll probably end up going with some sort of B2k or the omen. thanks for all the quick answers guy and keep them coming

Edit: if i found a $400 dollar e-mag though i would problably take it, though i don't currently have that much money. so cough cough like my gun + cash if anyone is looking to get a nice mech mag cough cough

11 Bravo
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Try for the Emag if you can. Have you checked out the Wrath? If you are considering an Ion I would strongly suggest checking out the Wrath. It is a great gun for $269.00. You will need a fast hopper. Its built like a tank (not heavy though) and its reliable.

Jonno06
05-26-2005, 09:09 PM
go with the ICD bushy. i had a 3rd generation bushy awhile back, and i just baught a first generation. i love them.

also, if ANYTHING goes wrong with your gun, ICD has the BEST customer service and they will personally fix your gun for you.

warbeak2099
05-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Definitely Wrath($270) + Tboard($55) + 25g Tswitch($11) + Breakbeam eyes($10). That's a total of $346. And if you want you can get the Ramp chip for the Tboard for another $20.

duby
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Definitely Wrath($270) + Tboard($55) + 25g Tswitch($11) + Breakbeam eyes($10). That's a total of $346. And if you want you can get the Ramp chip for the Tboard for another $20.

Ion comes stock with the 25g switch, breakbeam eyes, and the ramp chip. for 400 you could have a pretty nice ion if you already have tank, loader, asa from the mag. used barrel kit, cp trigger, and feedneck should put you at about 400 or so.

I highly recomend the ion, i was in your same situation...buying my first electro to get into tournies after 7 1/2 years or so. it has worked out great for me, i'm getting out of teh woods and loving it. havent had any prombems with it.

Glickman
05-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Ion comes stock with the 25g switch, breakbeam eyes, and the ramp chip. for 400 you could have a pretty nice ion if you already have tank, loader, asa from the mag. used barrel kit, cp trigger, and feedneck should put you at about 400 or so.

I highly recomend the ion, i was in your same situation...buying my first electro to get into tournies after 7 1/2 years or so. it has worked out great for me, i'm getting out of teh woods and loving it. havent had any prombems with it.

second that, totally not worth getting the wrath with the ion out.

for 280 you can get the ion, all i would suggest it a feedneck, thats all

r-unit
05-26-2005, 09:48 PM
actually, i beg to differ.

i used an ion the other day. yes it is a great gun for the money, however, it seems a little laggish when i was playing xball. it seems to "miss" shots. maybe it was the way the trigger was setup.

etjoyride
05-26-2005, 09:50 PM
i don't think that i'll go with the wrath because i can't test it out at any of the fields around here which i can with all the other guns. so right now it looks like either an ICD gun, E-mag or Ion. Omens are also kind of hard to find where i live to. keep the Advice coming guys, its really helpful. Also if anyone is looking to trade one of these guns for my mag plus cash then please PM me.

RingOfScale
05-27-2005, 12:13 AM
i also suggest a b2k, i currently own an older model b2k, and it has twin palmer hp/lp regs on it now, and a barrel kit. The gun is amazing, even tho its a 4 year old model that has been heavily used during that time ...

GO ICD !!!!

-Ring

(i'm actually selling my older bushy to get a new b2k5+a few upgrades, b2k5s are frikkin amazing deals at only 450 dollars)

Jonno06
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
might as well start calling it the b2k6 because i highly doubt its coming out this year.

etjoyride
05-27-2005, 01:46 PM
ok well i decided that instead of buying a new gun outright, i'm going to try to trade my gun (and maybe some cash) for one of the ones i want. Then i'll use the rest of the money to play more often. since it will be near impossible to trade my gun and some cash for an e-mag, and i decided that i don't want to spend time tuning an omen... I've narrowed my choices down to an Ion or a B2K. however i was wondering if anyone here knows if the Angel LCD's are very good, because theres a chance i might be able to trade for one.
let me know what you guys think.

onedude36
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I vote freestyle. you might be able to get one for 400 it you dont mind filling your tank every few games. A non-he gen 1 freestyle is preety cheap. Get a gen 2 if you can though.

shoot m up
05-27-2005, 02:05 PM
If you get a used emag BE VERY CAREFUL. I did and there were more problems than what the guy said there was. AND HE WONT PAY FOR IT or help me pay for it. Just be careful if you go for used pb guns.

etjoyride
05-27-2005, 02:08 PM
i've bought used stuff quite a bit and i'm always careful. right now i'm leaning towards and 01 angel LCD w/ some ups that i'm gonna trade for my mag + some cash because i'm talkin to this guy who's interested. and i know i like andgels, cuz i've used my friends 02 LCD a bit. however this deal might fall through so if anyone has more advice please let me know

overkill8000
05-27-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah i agree do with icd i know a guy his broke and he sent it back free of charged and got it back with in 2 weeks good customer service and as far as the ion if something goes wrong with it it'll take along time their really back up.

guysdaman
05-27-2005, 11:50 PM
ION....buy one and then sell the mag...i bought one while i was waiting for my devilmag and i have been using it for 6 months now with zero problems...sweet little gun for the price!

etjoyride
05-28-2005, 10:32 AM
right now i'm probbly going to go with an older angel or an ION because it seems to be easier to find people looking to trade them for mags

yakitori
05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I say Ion. Ive got one that I will let you shoot some today if you go to the factory. They really do shoot great. Almost everyone on AO is going to say against the ION, but they say that for the lawsuit reason and the fact that they hate SP. It is a great gun for the price. And w/ the trigger setup properly, you will be glad you got one. Ill bring mine to the field today and you can use it.

etjoyride
05-28-2005, 10:54 AM
well ny the looks of it the guy with the angel is backing out on me, so i'm gonna start looking for an ion ft fo rmy mag. And yakitori i'm 99% sure i'm coming today, and i'll probably be bringing a friend.
THanks for all the help guys

yakitori
05-28-2005, 10:59 AM
well ny the looks of it the guy with the angel is backing out on me, so i'm gonna start looking for an ion ft fo rmy mag. And yakitori i'm 99% sure i'm coming today, and i'll probably be bringing a friend.
THanks for all the help guys

k cool. Ill let ya use the ion some. You can see how you like it.

Mine has a QEV, stiffi, and CP trigger though. A stock one will not be the same, but those parts are not that expensive other than the stiffi. You can go a bit cheaper like a CP one piece though.

Cya there.

maxama10
05-28-2005, 02:16 PM
dont go with an omen

hobbesTZ
05-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Here are my opinions...

I very much preferred my Piranha Evo over my Angel LCD when I had them. Eyes are the way to go.

B2k4s with PDS are an excellent option, and they are cheap. Trouble is that the detents aren't the best for Halos, but I don't really like playing with a Halo because it throws my marker off balance. I would skip any BKOs.

I don't particularly like the Ions design. If you chop it will be a pain in the *** to clean out correctly. It's made with too many cheapy parts to feel truly comfortable with. Skip the Wwrath too, there's plenty of other stuff that have years of history and loads of aftermarket parts.

Every marker has it's ups and downs, but for me the Classic Intimidator covers the majority of what I want...

Eyes
Inexpensive
Smooth shooting
Tons of aftermarket stuff
Flexibility with parts - You can easily go from Classic to Alias style for a lot less than those go for used. You could have a $250 gun all the way to a $600 gun by buying and selling differant parts.
Good efficiency
Runs on CO2 if you need it (You'd still want to take as many precautions as possible, it doesn't take Co2 like a Tippmann)
Simple design

The only real problems are the high maintenance. You can't just run oil through it and call it a day. However, the maintenance is really easy work. Not everyone likes the longish feel, the Alias style frames fix that but those go for around $170 which brings the Classic out of the cheap area.

Omens are nice until you have to set them up. Too much of a pain and there are too many other options out there to want to deal with it.

Matrix's are nice, but they're not my thing. A Matrix with eyes is out of your price range.

Eblades are another excellent option and you can also find them cheap. If it wasn't for the Intimidator I'd have an Eblade again. If you don't like the Timmys longish feel and you want to keep the price low I'd recommend a stock bodied Eblade. I paid $370 for one that came with all aftermarket parts and a barrel I didn't need that I was able to sell for $50.

Impulses are another option, but I'd take an Eblade 'cocker or a Timmy over any Impulse any day of the week.

Tribals are really cool and unique, you can find those for around $200 almost stock and you can have eyes installed. It's the same design as the Impy or Bushy, but has a coolness factor you can't get with those.

Again these are my opinions, but I think it's pretty accurate :dance:

etjoyride
05-28-2005, 10:29 PM
hobbesTZ-around how much would you say a classic timmy would go for???

hobbesTZ
05-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I paid $350 for mine with a WAS board, Palmer Stabilizer, and some other stuff. You could probably find them bone stock for $250-$275. Most likely you'll find them with a few upgrades in the $300+ range.

yakitori
05-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Ions feel cheap and timmys dont? lol. Seriously, dont bother w/ a classic timmy. If you go the way of the timmy, save up some more mula and get a 2k2 lasoya or something.

Ions are not that hard to clean. Plus, Ive NEVER chopped w/ it. Ive had barrel breaks, but no chopping probs. You dont have to strip it down to clean the eyes off. Just use a paper towel or a q tip until you are in a position to strip it down. Like after the day of use. The eyes will still work. And like I said, Ive yet to chop w/ it.

I personally think you should play some at the factory before you seriously consider spending money on an electro. If you buy one first, then you decide you dont like that style of paintball, then you dont need to spend on it. Unless you are getting a good deal on the mag, and dont have to spend much more to get an electro. If you dont plan on playing that style of ball, then the mag is prolly the best gun for you.

And if you go the factory next weekend, Ill still bring the Ion and let ya use it. You will see that they dont feel that cheap. They perform great for their price.

hobbesTZ
05-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but...

The Classic is the same exact thing as any 2k2 lasoya storm ecx blah blah blah. The Ion definately feels nice and shoots well too, but besides that it's not for me.

yakitori
05-29-2005, 12:10 AM
timmys are okay. They shoot good too, but they are finicky. Everyone I know that owns one has problems or has had problems with them, such as chopping because the ram moves backward. Leaks on their poppits, and front blocks.

Its not a bad gun. They are fast and all, but they still feel cheaply made too. Im not bashing timmys at all. Lots of ppl shoot them and like them. Ive shot them and I like them okay. I guess to each his own.

Im sure there are ppl that will let you shoot thier timmy too.

etjoyride
05-29-2005, 11:48 AM
well i don't think that i would get a timm, because i never have a chance to try one, and i like to try my guns before i buy them. Yakitori your right i should play speedball before i buy the gun that i would use for it. Thanks guys

Automaggot68
05-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Get a Frikkin' ION.

mags247
06-04-2005, 09:22 AM
ION....buy one and then sell the mag...i bought one while i was waiting for my devilmag and i have been using it for 6 months now with zero problems...sweet little gun for the price!

I agree. Ions are sweet for the money. Just add a QEV for 10 bucks and you have a psuedo shocker that's more efficient. I added the HE bolt to my shocker and get about 1100 shots per 68/45K. MY ion gets about 1200. Also there is a predator board out or on the way making 26bps a snap.

I use it as my practice gun because when gear takes alot of abuse when I'm diving/sliding. When I play tourneys I (and my team) use the shockers.

I always bring three guns with me to play rec. I still love to use my Mech Mag and dust the kid who just bought his angel. But occasionally you will run across the person who knows how to use their piece. Then firepower begins to matter. So I will use the ion or shocker.