PDA

View Full Version : Hype?

p8ntball72
05-26-2005, 09:23 PM
http://www.%36%38caliber.com/uploads/features/videos/alienpb_nppltpa05.wmv

when Jack first brought this up on this forum he took quite a bashing.
Now that he has markers on the market, Do his claims live up to the Hype?

link to old thread.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111094&highlight=jack+rice

Number13
05-27-2005, 10:24 AM
http://www.68caliber.com/uploads/features/videos/alienpb_nppltpa05.wmv

That link should work

JimmyBeam
05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
i like the solenoid/ram combo thinger, but i find that gun to be up there on my top 10 ugliest list

MicroMiniMe
05-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Go ahead and check and let me know how you feel,. I use the “can you just blow it through the barrel” method. It's not that a bunch of backspin is better! It's that you want some spin or like a knuckle ball in baseball you won’t know which direction the ball will go. As long as you need some spin, backspin is best. Again with the baseball, air multiplies whatever spin the ball has. The curve ball breaks at the end, not the whole way. The “sweep” bolt and valve align the ball so it shoots straighter, not longer.
The theory of relativity say that if you drop a bullet and shoot a bullet at say 2,000 feet per second they will both hit the ground at the same time so long as they started at the same time and the bullet is fired parallel to the ground. The forward speed of the bullet is not relative to the gravity pulling it down.
Most guns impart topspin, and that causes them to drop faster, not what I want. Off axis spin will cause them to have a wider pattern, terrible. So back spin is best and will help, somewhat, in countering the force of gravity, which yeilds a longer straighter flight, BUT more importantly, it gives you a tighter side to side pattern.

Thanks for the video post I hadn't seen it yet.

EH?

So 'somewhat' backspin will get you 'somewhat' 'longer straighter flight' like a Flatline barrel? Or they will 'somewhat' break on your target at full range?
:rolleyes:

Number13
05-27-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm not taking a side on this issue, but I think I can say more concisely what he said, which might help clarify it:

A paintball ball will probably spin coming out of the barrel. Certain spin types are bad for precision. A consistant spin on each ball may produce a more precise shot grouping. The back spin will make no noticeable increase in range, unless (possibly) when compared to a marker which imparts top spin.

The gravity reference was meant to explain that gravity acts on all objects, even ones moving perpendicular to the force of gravity. Hence, an object A propelled at a 90* angle to the force of gravity will "fall" towards the gravity source at the same rate an object B, released at the same distance from the gravity source as A, fill "fall," ceteris paribus.

Though sidetracked, his argument consists of this:
1) His marker produces a consistent spin pattern on a paintball.
2) A Consistent spin pattern produces more precise shot groupings than an inconsistent spin pattern.
________
3) His marker produces a precise shot grouping.

MicroMiniMe
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
And those Flatlines are sooo accurate at long range.

craltal
05-27-2005, 02:21 PM
from what i understand, the spin is being imparted differently and for different reasons than the flatline. The flatline was designed for added range while this is for improved accuracy without thought about adding range

ShadowNife
05-27-2005, 06:56 PM
here's what i got from reading the previous posts:

the flatline:

- uses friction between the paintball and the curved barrel to produce a massive back spin. This backspin then frictions on the air to produce the extra lift and the increased range.

the alien:

- No ball coming out of the barrel is going to have absolutely no backspin; they all come out spinning one way or another. the alien claims to produce a very minor backspin. However, every ball going out of the barrel is doing the same backspin. Because of this, it claims to be more accurate than a regular marker which has the ball spinning whichever way it wants when it exits.

at least thats what i got out of it.