PDA

View Full Version : stupid screw

TheBigRaguPB4L
11-26-2001, 10:35 PM
i bought a used automag from someone who doesn't take care of his gun. i switched out bad parts with spares that i had. now i have some more spare parts and i'm making another mag. my problem is that it has a verticle asa stuck to the rail. the screw is rusted in and totally stripped. i was thinking about drilling the screw and just hope it would fall apart or something. i don't want the asa or the screw, i just want the rail. any other suggestions that i'm not seeing?

Failure
11-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Try dremeling a slot in it and use a slot screwdriver. Slot srews strip easily though so dremel the groove deep. If that doesn't work then just drill the head off and use vise grips to get the screw out of the asa.

boggerman
11-27-2001, 01:12 AM
If you have access to a drill press, just use a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill into the head of the bolt until it pops off. Use the stripped allen wrench hole to center the drill bit and it should be no problem. You can use a hand drill and a vice, it is just easier with a drill press.

TheBigRaguPB4L
11-27-2001, 10:02 AM
i'll try the dremel thing since i don't have a drill press. thanks for the suggestions. hopefully they work.

Thordic
11-27-2001, 10:05 AM
If there is any hint of an angle left on the hex head, stick an allen wrench in there (preferable with a torque handle if you have one) and just slam it back and forth. The back and forth motion should break the rust after a while. It worked for me.

Hexis
11-27-2001, 12:50 PM
I had the same problem when I went to replace my stock vert asa with a chrome one. And I did take care of my gun. I just used a cordless drill and centered the hold on the then striped allen wrench hole. Went slow and careful till the head poped off. I didn't care about the old asa, but I would guess you would have enough screw sticking out to get a good vice grips grip on.

TheBigRaguPB4L
11-27-2001, 02:02 PM
i got it. i used the dremel to cut it. i had to cut the head completly in half and it still wound't budge. i just finally took the screwdriver and hammered it loose. then i was able to unscrew it. unfortunately, i had to cut into the rail. but i figured it really didn't matter since the breach covers that part up anyways. thanks for the advice.