PDA

View Full Version : You don't want to be first...

tony3
05-27-2005, 04:55 PM
It has always seemed to me that the team that is in 1st after prelims, never ends up winning it all. This happened to my team 2 tournies ago, first after prelims and we end up getting 2nd. It really sucks when this happened, but I wondered if this is a trend in current paintball. I used only the nppl not psp to figure this out since the way psp is run, it really isn't a good judge.

I looked through all 2005-2003 nppl tournies and saw who was 1st after prelims and who ended up winning. I looked though 14 tournies and the result is, you don't want to be first after prelims, unless you are dynasty. Only 3 times has the 1st place team won after coming in 1st after prelims, for all those 3 times, it was dynasty everytime. 2 of those 3 times, it was at huntington beach, which dynasty has won 3 times out of the 3 years they went there. Just something I found interesting.

mandatory
05-27-2005, 04:59 PM
same thing happened to me in a 3 man tourny a few months ago. we were in first after the points rounds, then in the elimination finals we lost and got equal third...bummer, but interesting corrilation.

68magOwner
05-27-2005, 05:17 PM
umm, we have placed first in every round of elimination in tourneys, on the same token, we have had tons more points than any other team for the ocer all day scores, but finished 3rd or so, we havent missed the finals thus far in the season, hope to keep that up

WenULiVeUdiE
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
It could be partly physcological. You are seated 1st and feel "Man, we are doing great." Then you take the next few games as if you cant be beaten, so you make a few mistakes.

luke
05-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Ranking at the top in the prelims only means you’re at the top in your bracket (group).

The play-offs are to pit the top teams against each other. Just because you max every team in your prelim group is not an indication of how you will do in the finals. The prelims are to find the top teams in order for them to play against each other.

Pretty simple really.

johnson88
05-27-2005, 06:51 PM
interesting never noticed that

Paintchucker
05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
It has always seemed to me that the team that is in 1st after prelims, never ends up winning it all. This happened to my team 2 tournies ago, first after prelims and we end up getting 2nd. It really sucks when this happened, but I wondered if this is a trend in current paintball. I used only the nppl not psp to figure this out since the way psp is run, it really isn't a good judge.

I looked through all 2005-2003 nppl tournies and saw who was 1st after prelims and who ended up winning. I looked though 14 tournies and the result is, you don't want to be first after prelims, unless you are dynasty. Only 3 times has the 1st place team won after coming in 1st after prelims, for all those 3 times, it was dynasty everytime. 2 of those 3 times, it was at huntington beach, which dynasty has won 3 times out of the 3 years they went there. Just something I found interesting.

When you are seated first, everyone is coming to take your place. They don't come easy. Being first, you are put in the position to defend your spot. Sun Tzu would tell you this is a bad thing. Little chance of success. Now being in the 2cd position after the prelims is much better. You have proven that you are better than almost everyone else, all you have to do is play "your game" against the lower seeds and then knock off the #1 seed. This would make the ancient Sun Tzu smile. ;)