PDA

View Full Version : What is a good starting semi-auto rifle marker?

Sheckie
05-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey, im new to paintball, and im wonder what a good starting semi-automatic rifle would be. ive used the other "pistol grip", but i find that rifles are much easier to aim and fire with, especially over far distances of 25 meters+. Even though they are harder to shoot with while running, this is the type im looking for. Any good ideas?

Your imput will be very much appreciated, thanks

Codekevin0403
05-28-2005, 10:04 AM
i'm not sure what you're talking about this pistol grip and rifle stuff, but a Tippmann A-5 is always a great way to start out. Reliable, can't outshoot the built in hopper, runs on C02, and it looks cool IMO

Sheckie
05-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Oh, im sorry. what i meant to say by "pistol grip" is the guns without the buts to rest against your shoulder

MonsterMag
05-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Many markers Have vertile bottles.
Like this
http://www.paintball.uct.ua/sell1.jpg

Most markers have an air source adapter
Were the tank rest agenst your shoulder.

http://members.cox.net/todd-f/paintball/pics/2003STSright%20body.jpg
However you can buy a drop forward to make the bottle farther forward. Its all about prefrence.

Alpha
05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
You need to realise, while there are stocks readily available for almots any type of low end marker, and you can get a gas thru stock or t-stock which can attach to just about ANY marker, paintball isnt about rifle or pistol.

As far as the "rifle" feel goes, a tippmann pro carbine does have that rifly feel, but you can hold just about any marker with a barrel longer then 8" like a "rifle".

Any tank with constant air (the big tank, not the small 12 grams) has a stock. YOu simply place the "butt" of the tank on your shoulder. Voila, stock!

AS far as the whole "pistol grip" thing, its easier to shoot on the fly, gives you more versatility in tight spots, allows for better stability, gives you more stamina, and much more. I dont know how you are, but you seem like the "woodsball specops sniper" type of paintballer (which is okay as long as you know your limitations), but it might inspire you a bit if I told you that some soldiers prefer a foregrip too, and its not uncommon to see a foregrip attached to a RIS type rail on many guns. And a lot of PDW and CQB style submachineguns have built in foregrips.

I'd reccomend a tippmann pro carbine. YOu can get a sort of "rifly" thing out of a 98c with a flatline, but I don't believe flatlines are worth the money (its about $100 for a barrel that is "advertised" , not guaranteed to, add a bit of range). Plus they are a bit on the long adn clumsy side.

:cheers:

buzzboy
05-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Go for the tippmann procarbine. It feels a lot like a rifle. Plus it is easly uprgaded and can be converted back and forth from the rifle form to a more speedball orintated form easily.

Maggot6
05-29-2005, 09:01 AM
www.ariakon.com See anything you like? Sure it's a tad pricy, but they look cool.

Boydster
05-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a Pro/Carbine. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Creative Mayhem
05-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Palmerized KP2/3 they make excellent paint rifles

Arstron
05-29-2005, 11:59 AM
If you are wanting a automag with a rifle feel, then I would suggest this:
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/articles/images/LongbowPrice.jpg
The gun ($779.95):
http://www.specopspaintball.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=587
upgrade for a mag (299.95)
http://www.specopspaintball.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=392

I love how that guns look! :D

Aslan
05-30-2005, 03:47 AM
The answer to your qustion depends on how much you are looking to spend on your entry level marker.

I've always thought Tippmann Model 98s were the best first marker because they are fairly accurate and there are alot of upgrades available. However, you're looking at $279 new...around $125 used. And if you're going to spend $279, well...then you could get an automag or an autococker used on Ebay. Neither of those are probably good first guns because the mag will require "tinkering" and will frustrate you on CO2...and the autococker will require you to be a certified airsmith just to play 3 games in a row.

Now, if you're talking $100 or less...then you got troubles...because you're probably looking at a Spyder Victor or a Brass Eagle Raptor or maybe a Rebel. Maybe even a Pirhanna. If it was me, I'd find a Spyder Classic or TL...before Spyder started making cr*p...and buy it used for $50-$100...then upgrade it. It sounds like your first upgrade will be a butt plate for your CO2 tank... :rofl: but then I recommend an expansion chamber and upgraded bolt and barrel...then you should be all set. :headbang:

If you're talking $300 range...I want to say automag classic used...because you'll need to invest in a Level 10, a barrel, and either Nitro or compressed air and just the automag classic body goes for $219 and up new.

So, in summary...
$100 range...Used Spyder Classic
$200 range...used or new Tippman Model 98
$300 range...used automag classic or RT or RT Pro
$400 and up...I don't know...I'd never spend that much money on a stock paintball gun unless it came with a bag of gold and was covered in diamonds.

And my only bias opinion will be not to get a Tippmann because Tippmann players are annoying...

seanpeek
05-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Get a mag and put a stock on it. :D There are a little tuff to find, but they are out there.

rkjunior303
05-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Palmerized KP2/3 they make excellent paint rifles

i would love to find a SC KP and have Palmer get his hands on it..