PDA

View Full Version : Just Got new Interceptor

viper_ssc
05-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I recently traded my Freestyle for an Interceptor. I think it was a great trade.

Not many people have heard or have used an Alien Interceptor before, so I decided to write a small review of it comparing it to a Freestyle.

Interceptor compared to Freestyle. First of all I noticed the Interceptor was more efficient. From the 1000-1200 shots I would get off the freestyle I now get about 1400-1600. These are from a 68/4500. The Interceptor is a lot louder though, but the Freestyle is like one of the quietest guns so pretty much all are a lot louder. The trigger feels a lot better on the Interceptor than the Freestyle, in my opinion at least. The Interceptor comes stock with a WAS board so thats a bonus. It also comes with a CP reg standard. The Interceptor is about 2 ounces lighter with barrel stock than a stock freestyle with barrel, Freestyle-2 pounds 11 ounces, Interceptor 2 pounds 9 ounces, for all those who are really concerned about every ounce. So from my experiences the Interceptor is better than the Freestyle.

And finally, pictures of the Interceptor

http://www.p8ntball226.com/interceptor2.BMP
And one of it disassembled.
http://www.p8ntball226.com/interceptor.BMP

behemoth
05-28-2005, 07:58 PM
You went from an ugly gun, to a really ugly gun.

Congratualtions.

sisco87
05-28-2005, 08:06 PM
ya, id say this gun is pretty ugly. not sure if id say the freestyle was ugly tho.

performance was it doesnt seem to be all that bad tho

HarrysSon
05-28-2005, 08:12 PM
God Ppl, It Isnt That Bad

SpecialBlend2786
05-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I think it looks better then the first generation freestyles. Much much better.

You think you can get a vid of it shooting?

behemoth
05-28-2005, 08:19 PM
God Ppl, It Isnt That Bad

liek i em soo sorries, u ppl dnt kno mi.

y u gots 2 b mean?

SpecialBlend2786
05-28-2005, 08:22 PM
liek i em soo sorries, u ppl dnt kno mi.

y u gots 2 b mean?

he only abbreviated "people"

MonsterMag
05-28-2005, 08:23 PM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/argggg.gif
Needs a good amount of milling done.

RingOfScale
05-28-2005, 08:25 PM
yeah, the gun doesnt look as bad as people seem to say. i mean, guns just are getting more and more flashy. if you took that gun 10 years ago, people would probably say its pretty cool. that being said, its looks could hold it back. if they were a bit more aggresive with the milling, find some way to add a bit more bling to it, it might become a popular gun, because i've also heard many places that htey perform well.

behemoth
05-28-2005, 08:26 PM
he only abbreviated "people"

he saved FOUR LETTERS! F-O-U-R LETTERS!

ugh.

and, yes, its ugly.

Number13
05-28-2005, 08:26 PM
People, get over aesthetics for a moment. Go read something by Wilde if you must.

Thank you, viper_ssc, for the review. Your numbers on the efficiency comparison are appreciated. I'm assuming this means you've put paint through it. Can you make any comments about the "hype" over it's precision due to backspin? I presume that since you didn't post anything about it in the initial review, there is no obvious improvement.

viper_ssc
05-28-2005, 08:29 PM
You think you can get a vid of it shooting?
I plan on getting a video in the next few days. I also plan on making myself some new eye covers. Thats the only think I dont like about it, the eye covers.

viper_ssc
05-28-2005, 08:31 PM
People, get over aesthetics for a moment. Go read something by Wilde if you must.

Thank you, viper_ssc, for the review. Your numbers on the efficiency comparison are appreciated. I'm assuming this means you've put paint through it. Can you make any comments about the "hype" over it's precision due to backspin? I presume that since you didn't post anything about it in the initial review, there is no obvious improvement.

Well I was shooting the other day and there was a lot of wind and so I couldn't really tell the real accuracy and if the hype was true or not, but I don't believe it is.

magman007
05-28-2005, 08:59 PM
this gun just screams BS. Jack rice and Jim drew in the same marker, scary combo. i cant see how its possibly better than a FS. its bigger, it kicks, and im sure it isnt any where near light on paint as a FS.

Number13
05-28-2005, 09:15 PM
this gun just screams BS. Jack rice and Jim drew in the same marker, scary combo. i cant see how its possibly better than a FS. its bigger, it kicks, and im sure it isnt any where near light on paint as a FS.

Viper_ssc posted his review of his personal marker based on his personal experience and observations. He backed it up with quantitative data. If you want to ask him about physical dimensions, recoil, and "lightness on paint," please phrase it as such rather than stating grand, unsubstantiated opinions, which is a basic definition of hype (which AO has thoroughly demonized).

Or, obtain a Freestyle (if you do not already have one) and obtain an Interceptor, then make your own comparison of the two. If you do this, I would suggest that for your own edification you compare quantitative results and not simply a "gut feel."

Thank you.

[edit was for a typo]

craltal
05-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Viper_ssc posted his review of his personal marker based on his personal experience and observations. He backed it up with quantitative data. If you want to ask him about physical dimensions, recoil, and "lightness on paint," please phrase it as such rather than stating grand, unsubstantiated opinions, which is a basic definition of hype (which AO has thoroughly demonized).

Or, obtain a Freestyle (if you do not already have one) and obtain an Interceptor, then make your own comparison of the two. If you do this, I would suggest that for your own edification you compare quantitative results and not simply a "gut feel."

Thank you.

[edit was for a typo]

:clap:

Carbon
05-28-2005, 09:56 PM

Thank you.

[edit was for a typo]

pwnt

Athius
05-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I met the inventor at Tampa really cool guy.

He explained me how it worked and that it has a valve and bolt system that will give it a sort of backspin to paintballs which in theory will give more accuracy to the marker.

But i told him it was ugly but even though it is ugly im so :cuss: curious about that marker.

That marker has a trully solid feel really good quality.

AGDlover
05-28-2005, 09:59 PM
cool man lol the eye cover looks like my guitar pic :D

minimag03
05-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I like the looks besides the oval things that I think are the eye covers.

Scott Hudnall
05-28-2005, 10:05 PM
who's the manufacturer? website? I haven't heard of this marker before.

Carbon
05-28-2005, 10:08 PM
how is the weight distrubution on that thing? frnt heavy, mid heavy? back heavy (with tank and paint)

was it easy to snap with?

did it take you long to get used to the configuration of that trigger frame and general layout?

how much was it?

does it operate as smooth as the freestle?

viper_ssc
05-28-2005, 10:31 PM
The manufacturer is Alien Paintball, www.alienpb.com

how is the weight distrubution on that thing? frnt heavy, mid heavy? back heavy (with tank and paint)

was it easy to snap with?

did it take you long to get used to the configuration of that trigger frame and general layout?

how much was it?

does it operate as smooth as the freestle?

The weight distribution is back heavy with tank and full halo.

It's just as easy to snap with as pretty much any marker

No time at all, I love 90 frames and have one on my bushy so I was already used to it.

I traded my freestyle straight up so didn't cost me anything, but the price new is $795 from alienpb.com

Operate as smooth as freestyle? I think so, had a little more kick, about the same as a bushmaster.

Automaggot68
05-29-2005, 03:13 AM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/argggg.gif
Needs a good amount of milling done.

Mango, You are not.

frop
05-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Mango, You are not.

MonsterMag < Tony Danza :D

QFT

Automaggot68
05-29-2005, 06:15 AM
QFT

<3

Fred
05-29-2005, 06:48 AM
is it just me or is Alien Paintball striving for mediocrity??? :tard:

Freestyle looks way better IMO... the new ones are hot compared to the first gen...

If you like it, rock on, this sport is all about shooting what YOU like, not what the rest of the world thinks you should.

---Fred

Mr. Mouse
05-29-2005, 03:19 PM
i like it, its different, get a inverted drop and that thing will be really compact

WARPED1
05-29-2005, 04:55 PM

Congratualtions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Now, Xmags are UGLY!(see?!)
Nice gun, I don't like those grips personally, but whatever works! What barrel threads it have?

minimag03
05-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Now, Xmags are UGLY!(see?!)
Nice gun, I don't like those grips personally, but whatever works! What barrel threads it have?

Autococker, I have been reading everything from there website.

What kind of lube do you have to use in it?

Zeruel
05-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I have heard some good things about those. The only thing I really dont like are the grips, they are sorta ugly. Other than that they look pretty good. But I always take function over form anyday.

WARPED1
05-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Cool, when I see a video, maybe I'll pick one up if I don't get my Nerve or Proto.

oldsoldier
05-29-2005, 06:29 PM
This is the first I've ever seen one. I do have to say, it is ugly. I was never a big fan of the freestyles...I used Clare's once, when they first came out...wasnt too impressed. But, if it works for you, go for it. Looks arent everything. Besides, its kinda like a blank page for shops like, oh, I dont know...DC Customs? :)

Steelrat
05-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I talked with the designer, and while he was a nice guy, he made several peculiar comments, like the aforementioned "backspin to make it more accurate" comment.

Overall, the finish of it isnt very refined. It looks like something made in a high-school metal shop class. However, I'm behind anyone willing to try and innovate in the current paintball business environment.

Pyroboy597
05-29-2005, 06:52 PM
can u make a video of that shooting and post it up? ive always been curios about the alien markers, especially the other more expensive one they sell that looks kinda like a half-blocked autococker but not really.

magman007
05-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Thank you.

[edit was for a typo]

hype? oh, im sure that im the one hyping up a marker, and not the purchaser making out his new marker just even slightly better than it truely is? How about the hype sourrounding the marker already? Backspin to make it more accurate? Oh, how about the creators claims of the dm series not being nearly as accurate as the older matricies because of the amount of turns the air had to make?

I posted my opinion on how it couldnt possibly be a better marker, and how hype was sourrounding the marker having both Jack Rice and Jim drew products in it.

Its larger, it will kick more due to its design, and due to its design, it cant possibly be lighter on paint. For the record, i do not shoot a freestyle, i shoot a dm5. I am making opservations, not hyping any products above any others. You sir are the one who is off their proverbial rocker.

viper_ssc
05-29-2005, 07:17 PM
hype? oh, im sure that im the one hyping up a marker, and not the purchaser making out his new marker just even slightly better than it truely is? How about the hype sourrounding the marker already? Backspin to make it more accurate? Oh, how about the creators claims of the dm series not being nearly as accurate as the older matricies because of the amount of turns the air had to make?

I posted my opinion on how it couldnt possibly be a better marker, and how hype was sourrounding the marker having both Jack Rice and Jim drew products in it.

Its larger, it will kick more due to its design, and due to its design, it cant possibly be lighter on paint. For the record, i do not shoot a freestyle, i shoot a dm5. I am making opservations, not hyping any products above any others. You sir are the one who is off their proverbial rocker.

How am I making it sound better than it truely is? I just told my experiences that I've had with it. I do not agree with the creator on any of those claims about backspin and it more accurate, I was just looking for a new gun to trade my freestyle for.
Its larger? The interceptor weighs less than the freestyle, only by 2 or 3 ounces though, the overall size of the marker is about the same, but I never took out a ruler and measured them both to see which one is truely smaller. More kick due to its design? Never did I ever say the Interceptor has less kick than the Freestyle, I said it has about the same as a Bushy, maybe a little less. Why can't it be lighter on paint? explain this.

magman007
05-29-2005, 07:56 PM
you can only take a ram driven marker so light on paint to the point that it will compromise functionality. Which, to my knowledge, cannot be done to match the lightness of the bolt on markers such as freestyles, matricies and shockers.

GT
05-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Interceptor compared to Freestyle. First of all I noticed the Interceptor was more efficient. From the 1000-1200 shots I would get off the freestyle ]

and people complain about a mag

Carbon
05-29-2005, 11:06 PM
you can only take a ram driven marker so light on paint to the point that it will compromise functionality. Which, to my knowledge, cannot be done to match the lightness of the bolt on markers such as freestyles, matricies and shockers.

this is purely conjecture.

logicmag19
05-30-2005, 09:17 AM
XS NRG is using them this season in the semi pro in nppl super 7. hope u have fun with yours!

ONX
09-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Love the gun its perfect for customasation and that alows you to have a truly uniuqe gun and you can do all of that for under 1350 probably too so you are still on the lower end I also enjoyed the review

barrel break
09-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Interesting how members of a community supposedly against superficiality and so called 'hype' immediately go for the looks. :rolleyes:

Now, it won't win any beauty contests, but I don't find it to be at all offensive to my eyes...
So, it seems it shoots well, thats good. The only thing I can see being a little off is the grip frame, are those grips as uncomfortable as they look?

Also, This is the first I've seen other than the promo pics. How long have they been out? I didn't know. :ninja:

MarkM
09-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Having seen and held the prototype, the finished article is way better except for those eye covers. I dislike the use of the WAS board but then that is personal and WAS bs is around for plenty to see but given that the CNC settings were already set for holding of the WAS board it was a bit of a major change to not do. At least the dissasembly is better than the other marker he was selling, stripped O rings every time you removed the ram and also made installing the ram difficult for the same reasons.

Steelrat
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM

I met Jack Rice at a field in Modesto, CA. Nice guy. He asked me several questions about the excal I was shooting. The weirdest line of questioning had to do with the ram. He asked me the distance the ram moved in the excal, and said his gun had the shortest ram stroke out there. I replied that I didn't know, but asked him why they should be any meaningful difference, as all conventional ram+bolt guns essentially move the bolt the same distance, i.e. the diameter of a ball. He didn't reply.

I saw the Interceptor up close there. Its not the prettiest thing, but small operations tend to lack the funds to buy the milling equipment necessary to do the pretty milling the big boys like DYE do. Any time an owner/manufacturer will take the time to talk to you about their product, my opinion of them goes up.

magman007
09-27-2005, 04:30 PM
I met Jack Rice at a field in Modesto, CA. Nice guy. He asked me several questions about the excal I was shooting. The weirdest line of questioning had to do with the ram. He asked me the distance the ram moved in the excal, and said his gun had the shortest ram stroke out there. I replied that I didn't know, but asked him why they should be any meaningful difference, as all conventional ram+bolt guns essentially move the bolt the same distance, i.e. the diameter of a ball. He didn't reply.

I saw the Interceptor up close there. Its not the prettiest thing, but small operations tend to lack the funds to buy the milling equipment necessary to do the pretty milling the big boys like DYE do. Any time an owner/manufacturer will take the time to talk to you about their product, my opinion of them goes up.

you know, its great to talk to manufacturers, but, in all honesty, jack rice is off his rocker, im surprised it doesnt come with a hammer head standard, he is full of bs, and everyone knows it. i mean honestly, who thinks one gun is more accurate than another because of the way the air has to turn?

punkncat
09-27-2005, 06:00 PM
you know, its great to talk to manufacturers, but, in all honesty, jack rice is off his rocker, im surprised it doesnt come with a hammer head standard, he is full of bs, and everyone knows it. i mean honestly, who thinks one gun is more accurate than another because of the way the air has to turn?

Not that I want to say I am supporting that theory...

...but logically speaking wouldn't air with less turbulance push the ball with a more stable cushion?

I really don't know if I am serious or not. Maybe its the Bourbon talking.

nt2004
09-27-2005, 06:09 PM
did anyone else notice when this was posted?

Steelrat
09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Not until I posted, at which point I noticed that I had already posted on it once...in May :tard:

MarkM
09-27-2005, 09:16 PM
did anyone else notice when this was posted?

Same here though my comments were valid regardless of the date of the thread. But it wasn't me who upped the thread.

NewMagMan21
09-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Your moms an ugly gun!!! :p ;) :rolleyes: :rofl:
No im kidding...Its an awsome gun dude

magman007
09-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Not that I want to say I am supporting that theory...

...but logically speaking wouldn't air with less turbulance push the ball with a more stable cushion?

I really don't know if I am serious or not. Maybe its the Bourbon talking.

definitely the bourbon. or you arent understanding me. He thought, the air before it gets to the dump chamber, took too many turns, and harmed it, making it inaccurate. when, once it is in the dumpchamber, it is stabalized?

also, turbulent air.... nope. its all the same air temp, and it all flows to fast to consider it in the ways of atmospheric air. Also, would hammer driven guns be quite turbulent by your standard as well? and there fore inaccurate?

jackrice is a moron, and that is the end of that

TheTramp
09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
definitely the bourbon. or you arent understanding me. He thought, the air before it gets to the dump chamber, took too many turns, and harmed it, making it inaccurate. when, once it is in the dumpchamber, it is stabalized?

That really is pretty funny. I wonder how Jack feels about all that air just bouncing around crazy inside the air tank! It must be causing all sort of problems! I bet he's got a great reg that works better than others to calm down all that bouncing air. ;)