PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Workout Routine

SlipknotX556
05-29-2005, 10:26 AM
I know there are several threads on this, but each person has a different goal in mind.

Now Friday was my last day of school, summer has offically begun. But during the summer is when I need to start working out again, because if I dont I get fat and it becomes really unhealthy. 1 week ago, I started to jog again(1.5 miles a day) every day, but now I need to start back on weights. Now im 5' 10" and im 135lb.

Heres are my goals before I go back to school in Aug....

Increase muscle mass
Lower body fat
Attempt a 6 pack

I just want to be bigger, stronger and be more healthy.

Right now, what I have been doing is my jogging, my brother and I do box, which is a workout in itself.

But I want to know what I should be doing to achieve the goals, I have. The 6 pack, I have some clue on what to do, but any tweaking to help it out, I would love to hear. Benching, I usually do 10 reps at a time, hit the bench 6 times in my workout, should I be doing more? Eating right I know is very important, so I have been eating more, iv been eating breakfast and lunch and dinner, iv cut out all fast food, soda, junk foods.

Really any help anyone can give me on how to achieve my goals is welcome.

Thanks

bam wannabe
05-29-2005, 10:38 AM
for the benching deal, i do pyramids.
as in i start off with a very low weight, and do 10 reps of that.
up the weight and do 10 reps, etc... until u are at your maximum bench weight
then lower it to the weight u had before that, all the way down until u are at just the bar... sounds easy, but it hurts like hell by the time u get to the bar.

for example... this is what i do...

95 lbs
bar

then dont do this again for another day or two, let the muscle build up.

yes i know im weak, so shut up about it.
and you are 5' 10" and only weigh 135? u sound like u have no fat, im 5' 10" and weigh 175. :tard:

Eagle
05-29-2005, 10:47 AM
How about I run behind you and shout slogans at you. Feel the burn fatty! You disgusting snotnosed fatbody!

That having been said, just over 5 years ago when I entered bootcamp I was about where you were. I wasn't in terrible shape, but I needed to tone up. I was 5'10.5" and 132lbs. When I left boot I weighed the same, but had toned, and most important in my mind, was in great cardio shape. I wouldn't worry to much about weight training, but if you want to do some, go for it. And don't cut all junk out of you diet, just reduce it a little. If you're 5'10" and 135lbs, I know where that is, and that's pretty damn skinny. I know when I got out of boot, kept working out, but increased my junk intake, I bulked up. Mind you, some was fat, but most was muscle.

Now then, where were we, oh yes. Feel the burn fatty! You disgusting snotnosed fatbody! My grandpa can do more pushups than you!

Jakedubbleya
05-29-2005, 11:16 AM
start off by just eating like a madman and drinking protein shakes and doing low rep high weight stuff, and sleep like 10 hrs a day.

ull get some body mass.

then work on cardio and tone, chiseling that muscle you just got (high rep low weights).

thats the way to do it.

maxama10
05-29-2005, 12:00 PM
for the benching deal, i do pyramids.
as in i start off with a very low weight, and do 10 reps of that.
up the weight and do 10 reps, etc... until u are at your maximum bench weight
then lower it to the weight u had before that, all the way down until u are at just the bar... sounds easy, but it hurts like hell by the time u get to the bar.

for example... this is what i do...

95 lbs
bar

then dont do this again for another day or two, let the muscle build up.

yes i know im weak, so shut up about it.
and you are 5' 10" and only weigh 135? u sound like u have no fat, im 5' 10" and weigh 175. :tard:
haha go you im 5' 10" and like 155

WicKeD_WaYz
05-29-2005, 12:00 PM
If I were you I would split the summer in half. Use the first half of the summer for a clean bulking cycle. Lets face it, you are skinny. You need to take in a LOT more calories per day. By clean bulk I mean eat alot more food but at the same time cut out as much greesy fast food as you can. Also try to cut out just plain fat calories. You wont be able to eliminate them all the way, and thats good because your body needs them to function properly. But I mean wake up in the morning and eat a bunch of eggs just to start off your day. Then just eat all day long. About 5 or 6 meals will do it if you want to gain weight. Remember its easy to gain when you weigh 135. Your calorie intake doesnt have to be as high to gain weight as mine. I weigh 245 and im still trying to gain muscle mass but I have to eat over 6,000 calories a day. Its awful I hate food right now. Now you need to lift alot during this period, so that the weight you gain is muscle mass. Cardio is also somewhat important but not as important as the next part of your summer.

This is where I would spend my time cutting if I was you. Lets say in your early summer bulk you gained 15 or even 20 pounds, and honestly thats a reasonable goal for a guy your size who doesnt lift often. Thats only if you work hard though. But now your a lot bigger, stronger, and bulkier, but maybe you want to be more cut and get that 6 pack. You probably will gain a little extra fat too while bulking(not too much, depends on your diet and metabloism) and now you want to get rid of it. This is where you start eating less, and running more. You also want to lift just as hard so that you dont lose too much muscle. Running is the only way your going to get that 6 pack though. You can do all the situps you want but if theres extra fat down there you wont see any abs.

So yea thats what most body builders spend their time doing...bulk, cut, bulk, cut, etc. Its hard to get bigger at the same time as staying lean because they require 2 different types of diets.

Or, you could just bulk all summer long....

AcemanPB
05-30-2005, 01:43 AM
You are in the same boat as me. I'm 5'9 and weigh 145lbs, I'm not in bad shape but I'm not in great shape. So far all my physical activity has come from running a 1-2 miles every other day and several hours of ultimate frisbee a week. I will also work a little with weight if I"m sitting in front of the TV doing nothing. Like you I really want to get in better shape this summer, gain a few pounds if possible.

My goals for this summer is to tone up, eat healthier, gain a few pounds, and run more often and longer.

kosmo
05-30-2005, 05:35 AM
1.5 miles every day is useless. Do 4 to 5 every other day.

Bear_Claw
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Do like me get REAL job were your work out is your JOB. Lifting tires, puicshing Buses and just general HEAVY mehcanical work is GREAT for a work out.

Look at me im DEFINATLY in great shape at 6" 270lbs LOL GREAT ROUND SHAPE :rofl: .

LOL in all honesty as over weight as i am i feel great and dont get winded too easily i can lift quiet a bit and soo on so i dont care BUT i will say that i use to weight at my peak 320lbs and since i started working and lost the 50lbs i feeel MUTCH better.

tranman
05-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I think the first thing you need to start before all the exercise is to get a good foundation to build on. You need the building blocks for muscle cells. This starts with your nutrition. You need to be eating more calories than you're going to burn in your work outs. A standard day calls for around 2000 calories assuming you are exercising maybe 30 minutes a day. When you start you're going to want to eat around 3000 if you're working at high intensities in the gym, body builders, marathon runners, bikers can eat close to 4000 calories and not gain fat. The bulk of the energy has to come from carbs to supply you with constant energy in your workouts. The basic building blocks for muscle, as well as all humans cells is amino acids. Most of the amino acids will be coming from meat products. So eat a lot of protein! Once you make sure you have a steady food supply around, then you should start your exercise program.

As for exercise theres a million exercises out there, find one that works with the equipment you have access to. You can probably find a fitness planner somewhere suited towards your goals, check it out and follow it like a bible. Don't take a day off unless you really need it, just concentrate on different muscle groups each day so that way one group as a day off while you work on another. Or if you want, sign up for university and take Kinesiology. We're the exercise experts :D