PDA

View Full Version : some questions from a fairly new player...

jdrotert
11-27-2001, 10:49 AM
I bought a used Mag about 7 years ago (CF22043). It has the classic body. I've been out of paintball for about two years or so, but I'm digging all my old stuff out again. My father owns a machine shop, so I have used that extensively in my paintball endeavors. I run my Mag on CO2, so I made an aluminum foregrip/expansion chamber. I've also made a new on/off top piece which helped with the drop-off and several power tube spacers (my Mag is Level 7, but came with a power tube spring). I run a couple of 20oz. bottles a day, with a stainless braided remote. The remote runs onto an inline filter. Has anyone had drop-off or feed problems with these filters? The only problem I had with my Mag was ball breakage in the breach. Looking back on it now, I think I'd be better off with a foamie on the front of the bolt. I've never used one. I have the original bolt (I think). It has three triangular holes and a projected nose with a small dimple. Can I glue a foamie on this one? Looking down the feed tube, it seems I have a little room.
Couple of questions: does this marker need to go back to AGD for any upgrades since it's serial number is below 30000? I found a dealer where I can get a Hurricane Titanium reg back for $17.77. I know from reading here that the all the 8-hole mods are worthless, but would spending $18 help with the weight issue? What other mods do I need to do for running this marker on CO2?
I've been wanting a p/f body for some time now, so if anyone has one to sell, e-mail me off list. I've been wanting to cut down my classic feed tube but I've read here that it was made longer so no one would get a finger down the tube on a charged marker. Is there any reported incidents where someone has lost the tip of their finger?
I've been reading with enthusiasm about the pump kit. I was at a St. Louis area shop when Tom was there and introduced the pump kits. I thought it was cool, but didn't buy one then. I'd be happy to buy one now though. Is AGD still taking orders for the new-found partial kits? Does someone have the drawing for the pump rod? If so, I can probably get them made for about $5 ea. I even know where I can get the wave spring that goes behind the bolt. I can get all other machine work done also.

Let me know what else I need to do!
john

Restola
11-27-2001, 11:14 AM
my sn is #CF13303. havent sent it back to get any updates. i dont think there are any updates past level 7.
for ball breakage in the breech GET A PARABOLIC FEED PLUG!! they saved my mag. i went from breaking 5-6 balls a day (1000 rds) to not breaking a single one when i had the new feed plug. im sure i will still get breaks but i didnt have to push a ball into the breech with my finger at all. they are free if you call AGD office.
ive never heard of a person sticking their finger down the feed plug, but im sure it happens.
the new reg will shave ounces. i wouldnt do it.
and is there any specific reason you are not upgrading to a n2 system? with all the time you put and will put into running your mag on co2 it seems like it would make sense to invest in a $100 n2 tank.

jdrotert
11-27-2001, 11:40 AM
thanks, Restola, for replying.
I don't have a p/f body, so the parabolic feed plug will do me no good. So, does anybody have a p/f body they don't need? I've been wanting to upgrade to N2 for some time now, but I need to convince myself I will be playing regularly for awhile. I'm really into dirt bike riding right now, but I've also really enjoyed playing 'ball. I don't think I'll get the Hurricane back anyway, I was just asking for opinions.
Also, does anyone know when CO2 tanks need to be re-certified? Some shops in my area won't fill an "over five-year-old" tank. Can someone point me to a link on the DOT regulation on this?

Thordic
11-27-2001, 12:08 PM
CO2 tanks need to be hydrotested every 5 years. For the price of hydrotesting on them, though, you might as well buy a new tank.

Testing - $20 to $35

20oz CO2 - $25 - $40