PDA

View Full Version : Best Memorial Weekend Ever!

warbeak2099
05-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Ok, here it goes. Every Memorial Day Weekend in New York City they have what's called Fleet Week. Navies from all over the world meet in the New York - New Jersey harbor. This year I went. My uncle is the commanding officer of the USS Carr, a guided missile frigate. My father (veteran navy jet engine mechanic), myself (aspiring to be a naval officer), and my dad's friend (veteran navy officer) were invited by my uncle as guests aboard the Carr. The American, Pakistani, British, French, and Canadian Navies, and the US Marines and Coast Gaurd were their.

Day 1 Friday:

Arrive on Staten Island at 12:30. Toured the Carr and had lunch with my uncle and 4 other officers. They were his CDO (weapons) and 3 LT JG's. They talked to me about the different ways of becoming a naval officer, NROTC, the Academy, and OCS. I want to apply to NROTC and the Academy.
Went back into Manhattan and checked into a pretty nice hotel, Comfort Inn, at 16:30. Went out to eat with my dad and his friend at a Thai seafood joint, gotta love NYC food. After that we went out with my uncle and some fellow skippers to a very posh rooftop bar in Manhattan. People bought them rounds of drinks and thanked them for serving our country. It may me feel so proud. And anxious as hell to put on those dress whites! We finally went back to the hotel and went to sleep at 00:30.

Day 2 Saturday:

Take the ferry to Staten Island, arrive at 08:20. Here's the sweet part. We witnessed a French Corvett (Destroyer) crash right into a Pakistani oiler while trying to dock. I believe the Frenchy ship was the Jean Bart and the Pakistani ship was the Mowain. The rench skipper came in way too hard and way to fast. He scraped right up against the Pakistanis and tore both ships to high hell. The noise was deafening. The image of the two ships smashing against each other was even louder. After that we went aboard the Carr and we got to sit in on the day's breefing. There were some French jokes cracked lol. In fact that happened all day. After that we took the ship out into the harbor and drove around for a while. I got to touch a real Browning .50 cal machinegun hehe. Good 'ol Ma Deuce. We also got to tour a SeaHawk helicopter that was parked on the helipad on the stern of the ship. We came back into port and parked alongside another French Destroyer. Those idiots were so lax we almost didn't make it in right. The officers were just standing there and the enlisted men had their thimbs up their butts. We left the ship and had yet another dinner in Manhattan. God that food is good. After dinner we walked through Times Square. I gotta tell ya, I've been to NYC at least 10-15 times. But this time I just realized, this is the greatest city in the world!

Day 3 Sunday:

Came back to dreary old Rochester upstate. Grrr, some day I'll get outa here and where the uniform of a US naval officer. What a blast.

PsychoBaller
05-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Awesome. I dont have as long winded a storyline as that.. but I did get to be THE Grillmaster... alllll weekend long... Steaks, Burgers, Dogs, Chicken... Not a raindrop was felt, and the brew was fantastico.... mmm beer battered..... dooonnnuts

-baller

Thordic
06-01-2005, 07:53 AM
NYC was way too full of seamen this weekend, it was like a whorehouse. They crowd up the bars and hog the women. I stayed away.

Target Practice
06-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I uh...drove around on tractors all weekend, so I'm cool.

LudavicoSoldier
06-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I chaparroned a National Honor Society trip from Boston to NYC on Saturday. I have NEVER seen so many people on the streets on Manhattan. I wanted to stop and check out the Intrepid, however, that was not high on our students priority list. :(

rkjunior303
06-01-2005, 09:18 AM
NYC was way too full of seamen this weekend, it was like a whorehouse. They crowd up the bars and hog the women. I stayed away.

they must have dripped down from boston.

Thordic
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Yeah, pretty much.

Creative Mayhem
06-01-2005, 10:40 AM

HAHA!

Jeffy-CanCon
06-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Sweet double entendre! :hail:

warbeak2099
06-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Hahaha, did you see all the Pakistani sailors? They're Muslim so they couldn't drink. Kinda sucks when ur in NYC. Man they were all over the place. The best were the British sailors. I rode a bus from the dock to the staten island ferry with some and the first words out of their mouths were, "Oy, where's the pub round hya?" Those guys must have done some good partying.

-=Squid=-
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Shut up:

behemoth
demobilized
born1337
jakedubbleya
maxama10

Vex
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Shut up:

behemoth
demobilized
born1337
jakedubbleya
maxama10
Wrong thread, Squid. Take a break from the computer and let your eyes re-adjust. Oh, and stop wanking it so much, you're already going blind.

gc82000
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Me and my freinds tried our first beercuzi. Liked it, next time we go Sam Adams on July 4. :bounce:

-=Squid=-
06-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Wrong thread, Squid. Take a break from the computer and let your eyes re-adjust. Oh, and stop wanking it so much, you're already going blind.
Whoops... Damn tabbed browsing.

Maybe they will see it by accident.

Jakedubbleya
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Maybe they will see it by accident.

maby
------

rained in utah all weekend.

But thats irrelevent because i was partyin in vegas.

wanna-b-ballin'
06-02-2005, 12:10 AM
i was riding an ATV around.

i went up to lake berryessa about a year ago, i was way too early i guess, cuz i heard that girls gone wild was filming up there this past weekend. oh well.

-=Squid=-
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
maby
------

rained in utah all weekend.

But thats irrelevent because i was partyin in vegas.
boo yahz