PDA

View Full Version : Basketball fans: NBA Officiating Quiz

Jack & Coke
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM

NBA Officiating Quiz

Do you think you understand NBA rules as well as an NBA Official? Below are 20 true/false questions direct from tests given to NBA referees on a daily basis... so go ahead and test your knowledge to see how well you really know the game. Don't forget to click on "view explanations" after you view your results, and if needed you can always take a refresher course by visiting the NBA rules page by clicking here (http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_index.html).

1. Following a successful basket by Player B1, Player A2 is called for an offensive foul before the ball is released on the ensuing throw-in. Team B will inbound on the sideline at the free throw line extended.
True
False

2. Player A1 shoots an air-ball which is clearly rebounded by Player A4. While the ball was in the air, Players A5 and B5 are called for a double foul. The ball will be jumped at center circle between any 2 players in the game with a new 24.

True
False

3. Player A1 jumps to shoot a successful 2-point basket. While in the air but before the release, defender B3 pushes screener A3 and a foul is whistled. The basket shall count and Player A3 will receive one free throw attempt.

True
False

4. Player A1 is fouled and awarded 2 free throw attempts. Before he attempts his free throws Player A1 is ejected from the game. The coach of Team B will select the shooter from Team A’s bench.

True
False

5. Players not on the lane line during a free throw attempt may not break the plane of the 3-point line until the ball is released.

True
False

6. Player B1 flagrantly pushes Player A2 into shooter A1 during an unsuccessful field goal attempt. Player A1 will attempt 2 free throw attempts.

True
False

7. Player A1 gathers the ball, clearly jumps off his right foot and lands with both feet simultaneously. Player A1 may NOT pivot.

True
False

8. Player A1 scores a successful basket as the horn sounds to end the period. When the official goes to look at the monitor, the timer informs him/her that the clock stopped briefly on the last possession. The official will use replay to see if and how long the clock was stopped.

True
False

9. Defender B1 knocks the ball out-of-bounds in Team A’s frontcourt. The official allows Team B 30 seconds to treat bleeding playerB5. Team B may substitute B1, B2 and B3.

True
False

10. The slot official whistles a defensive 3 second violation when the ball is near the left sideline. Following the free throw, the ball will be inbound at the free throw line extended on the left sideline.

True
False

11. A players dribble ends when he permits the ball to come to a rest while he is in control of it.

True
False

12. It is an automatic technical foul if a player slaps the backboard following a dunk.

True
False

13. Player A1 is fouled at the start of his shooting motion and then passes the ball. Player A1 will receive 2 free throw attempts (penalty not in affect).

True
False

14. Any player in the game who 'head butts' an opponent should be assessed a FF2 and ejected.

True
False

15. Player A1’s field goal attempt is in the air when the horn sounds to end the period. Defender B5 realizes the ball is going to be short and jumps to catch the ball but it bounces off his hand and into the basket. No points should be scored since the horn sounded BEFORE the ball was touched by B5.

True
False

16. Player A1’s pass from the foul line to Player A2 in the corner is deflected into Team A’s basket. The deflection occurs after the horn sounds on the shot clock. The basket shall count.

True
False

17. Player A1 is fouled at .2 while attempting a field goal and the clock runs to 0:00. Player A1 releases his successful shot following the horn. Two points shall be scored.

True
False

18. While Player A1 is dribbling the ball in his frontcourt, a double foul is called on Players A5 and B5 with the shot clock at 9. Team A will inbound on the sideline nearest where Player A1 was dribbling but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended with the shot clock reset to 14.

True
False

19. During Player A1’s successful free throw attempt which will remain in play, a double foul is called on Players A5 and B5 while the ball was in the air. The ball will be jumped at center circle between any 2 players in the game with a new 24.

True
False

20. Player A1 is fouled in the act of shooting a successful basket and then the horn sounds on the shot clock before he releases the ball. The basket shall count and Player A1 will receive 1 free throw attempt.

True
False

Click on this link to take the quiz:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/refquiz.html

...don't forget to post your scores!

:cheers:

kosmo
06-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Meh... got an 11. Beat the odds I guess :rolleyes:

quik
06-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Whats a double foul?

Go Pistons!

FreakBaller12
06-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Awh boo, I got an 8 out of 20. I thought I did good too :p

tony3
06-02-2005, 08:20 PM
14 out of 20

Jakedubbleya
06-02-2005, 11:15 PM
20/20

wrong,
i missed all ofem (and to think i play college basketball)

prolly cuz after the first few i got tired of thinking, left the rest blank, and got back to my protein shake.

VC8228
06-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I got 15/20.