PDA

View Full Version : Body market

sanity
06-04-2005, 01:14 AM
So being as I am working on customizing my mag I was thinkin about all the different options available for bodies. Excluding the old twist lock mag bodies (sorry fellas - I love them too for what they are) somebody building a mag can basically choose from two categories - the cheaper ULE bodies like AGD's and Rogue's Exile body, or the ultra sexy and costly deadlywind selection like the dallara and karta.

I was wondering why not make something that bridges the gap. Whenever someone posts one of those design a body on CAD threads people always submit crazy designs that would be awesome but costly to make due to the large amount of machining required. Something that was simpler but still got away from the "tube" look of ULE's and Exile's would be sweet. Nothing complicated, but OTV so as to give the gun a little more shape. I think that if someone came up with this and found a way to make it cheap there would be huge demand...

luke
06-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I would love to do some work with the slug body, but with the $150 price tag out of the gate it doesn’t leave much room machining time ($), then there’s anno...

The slug is a great idea but at that price it's just not feasible as a starting point... :(

sanity
06-04-2005, 02:20 PM
so its the cost of the slug thats the major player and not the work itself...

makes sense - but unfortunate none the less :(

luke
06-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Well for me I wouldn't mind spending the $150 (plus shipping) to make say $75 to $100 (for milling). But to the customer that ends up being around $300 after machining, anno and shipping, maybe more. :(

Maggot6
06-04-2005, 03:18 PM
^^ Iwas wondering why the karta costed so much...

CKY_Alliance
06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Well for me I wouldn't mind spending the $150 (plus shipping) to make say $75 to $100 (for milling). But to the customer that ends up being around $300 after machining, anno and shipping, maybe more. :(

But what if your a dealer and buy large quantities?i guess if there is a price break it's not a significant enough price difference.But then again why would they when the cheap and expensive bodys still sell?Just like everything else in paintball..it's expensive because people will pay that for it...this isnt so much the case here but still..im ranting i suppose.

Would be cool to see a cheaper nice body like the DW's selection..seeing i just blew 300+ dollars on a body..but whatever its well worth it.

What about a body like the IT (JT?) bodies...i know they werent very good quality but they were cheap werent they?(ive never seen prices but i thought i saw like 40-60 range)
anyway reason i menchened (however you spell it) them is becasue from my understanding they didnt use a slug or ULE body correct?
So if somone could buy large amounts of aluminum and build bodies like that then that would cut out the middle man (AGD) and save some money....well very unlikely and i would rather agd make some money off the stuff but you all get what i am saying.

CaptainNeeda
06-04-2005, 07:43 PM
try the micro mag body. It's a bit hard to find, but it's a great looking piece of kit.

cdacda13
06-04-2005, 09:34 PM
What about the IT body. I think thats what its called

sanity
06-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure IT bodies weren't made from AGD slugs...and thus didnt have AGD tolerances, and thus had a lot of problems with alignment. Like rogue said the only place someone making a mag body is willing to start now is with a ULE or a AGD slug...

But 150 for a slug seems like a lot...especially when mostly being sold to dealers...is it possible AGD could make the slugs cheaper, or is the cost of aluminum a lot higher than I imagined??