PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate AIM?

theraidenproject
11-27-2001, 08:56 PM
I have it just to talk to friends, but so much of it is useless crud. "connect to talk" "buddy icons", etc. also, in 10 minutes, my friend (trying to be "funny") took my warning level to 100% (from 0%) and I haven't been able to sign on for an hour. I don't hate it THAT much, i guess i'm just venting. Anyone else less than satisfied with AIM?

theraidenproject
11-27-2001, 08:57 PM
YAY!!!! I'm back on 2 seconds after I start the thread. I still don't like AIM, though.

*edit* - back off again. it signed me off, then wouldn't let me back on. Oh well, no more IM for the night...

PyRo
11-27-2001, 09:17 PM
Use aim express, I think that will let you sign on.
I like aim btw :)

Thordic
11-27-2001, 09:41 PM
I like it :) Buddy Image is a really handy feature, Connect to Talk is kinda cool, I'll admit Im a smiley addict, and I just think its a lot more user friendly than other programs.

ICQ- Local contact list only, computer crashes, you lose all your contacts. Message delay when sending is a real pain. Thorough profile, and tons of options, though. "Normal" computer users have a tendency to get lost with ICQ at first, though.

MSN - The worst of the bunch. I can't stand it. Having to go to a webpage for chats and profiles just sucks.

Yahoo - Better voice chat than AIM, ability to broadcast your webcam if you have one, onboard chat rooms, overall a good program. I'm not a big fan of their contact list, though, it has a tendency to get funky on me. Also, they too have website profiles.

AIM - Easy to use, good features, rarely crashes, loads quickly, I don't really see any drawbacks to the program. Also, its smaller in file size than anythign but MSN, I beleive, so updates are quicker to download. (ICQ is like 8-12MB now, I think, Yahoo is around 3, AIM clocks in at 2.4 or so, and I think MSN is around 1.7)

Thats my rundown :) I've tried a couple of "fringe" programs such as paltalk and odigo. They are usually a letdown. Paltalk had a tendency to crash, and the "video chat" feature was grainy and terrible. Odigo just screws up royally.

FooTemps
11-27-2001, 09:57 PM
I dislike AIM... It always disconnects me.

ThePatriot
11-27-2001, 11:00 PM
Aim is cool, i like it, the buddy icon things i always thought were of a homosexual content til i found one of ozzy biting off a bats head and i was sold...but i havent had problems except the stupid warnings, people stop that after a while ne way

gimp
11-27-2001, 11:50 PM
you know. I hate AIM, but I use it all the time. It's so odd.

bornl33t
11-28-2001, 02:25 AM
Anything that AOL has come up with is very hateable!

graycie
11-28-2001, 08:13 AM
its really annoying when you can't send files,direct connect, etc to aol users on aim. security features need to be stepped up.

Restola
11-28-2001, 09:44 AM
if you dont like it, it cost you nothing to try, itll cost you nothing to stop

Potatoboy
11-28-2001, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by graycie
its really annoying when you can't send files,direct connect, etc to aol users on aim. security features need to be stepped up.

What's even more annoying is that AOL owns AIM and ICQ and they still aren't interoperable. At least Microsoft, Yahoo, and Odigo started the industry organization IMUnified (http://www.imunified.org), even though that seems to be going no where. I used Odigo for a while and every few days AOL blocked Odigo users from connecting to their service. The message you get is really nasty too, talks about unauthorized pirated software and basically says that since Odigo isn't made by AOL it's full of viruses. Oh, how I pray for the day for a globally accepted IM protocol.

virus
11-28-2001, 03:25 PM
ICQ- Local contact list only, computer crashes, you lose all your contacts. Message delay when sending is a real pain.

ok and how old of a version were you using......

the newest version stores your contact info online now... so no more lost lists...
best thing i like with icq is to be able to send messages weather the person is on or offline

wicked_mag
11-28-2001, 04:31 PM
Aim is the best i can talk to friends make plans, and talk to my brother who lives a state away, basically free:)

~Backdraft~
11-28-2001, 06:24 PM
I like aim, it just pisses me off a lot when it kicks me off...:mad:

Flamebo
11-29-2001, 06:17 AM
AIM rocks, it beats the hell outta paying for AOL.

Cliffio
11-29-2001, 12:01 PM
well the truth is i only like it because my buddy icon has boobs in it
thats really the only reason its good

Thordic
11-30-2001, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by virus
ICQ- Local contact list only, computer crashes, you lose all your contacts. Message delay when sending is a real pain.

ok and how old of a version were you using......

the newest version stores your contact info online now... so no more lost lists...
best thing i like with icq is to be able to send messages weather the person is on or offline

Which version is this? I think I was using 2000B the last time I crashed. Im on a modem, so its a pain in the butt to DL a new ICQ. It tends to be a largish DL.