PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Paintball Club tips

jenarelJAM
06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Hey, I'm looking at starting a paintball club at my school next year, and the key point would be turning the softball field into a paintball field when the softball and lacross teams aren't practicing. We would use reballs, buying two boxes (1000 rounds) for starters, and there is a high safety fence around the softball field, that would be perfect for stringing netting on. I believe that we could get permission from the school if we could prove that setting up small games once or twice a week would not become a liability. We could get spools from the cable company(i think, from what i've heard, its pretty easy. if we can pick them up, they want to get rid of them) and between spools for bunkers, netting for safety, reballs for lack of mess, and my scuba tank; we could set up a fairly decent paintball practice.
Now on to practical issues. I believe that we could get at least 10 people to sign up(including myself and 2 other co-presidents) and if we charge a $50 entry fee, thats $500. Subtract $300 for the reballs, and that leaves us with $200 + club fundraisers for netting. I have no idea if this will be enough. I am willing to work my butt off to get the extra money to make this work, as long as I am not fronting more than half of it. Does anyone know of a place where we can get good netting for this? the netting does not have to be ultra fine, just enough so a reball will not go through it. Thanks

Jaan
06-08-2005, 06:11 PM
So you've cleared this with the school already?

XtremeC
06-08-2005, 06:20 PM
i think he i trying to see if its a practical idea before he makes a fool of himself by hyping up all the teachers and falling through on the plan

t33kyboy
06-08-2005, 06:46 PM
What school do you go to?

I suggest instead of a paintball club where you guys actually play at school... have meetings at the paintball fields where you all get together every week or two to play some ball. You can talk to the field owners and try to get a discount for club members. I think that will be a much better plan.

Playing at your school would be a big mess, and alot of trouble with saftey... what if someone gets hurt? And a $50 entry fee to play at some crappy field with reballs (which would be easily lost) is just stupid...

MAGS_R_COOL
06-08-2005, 07:05 PM
At my school, I am the VP of the paintball club. We have 60+ students from 6th grade and above with a total school population of about 700. We just did wat t33kyboy said. We just found a teacher who played...who actually used to play. All we do is organize school "play" dates. With the bad rap paintball has now, i wouldnt try doing a field immediately. What you have to realize is what happens if someone gets hurt on the field at the school. The parents could possibly some back on the school...and possibly get your club shut down. And for the first few years I wouldnt even bring up a field on school property until paintball gains large support from the student body as well as faculty. So I wouldnt go all gung ho this early. Just allow everybody in the school to get used to it. And TAKE NEWBS TO PLAY. And make sure that your are very open to newbs. They ask some stupid questions...but you have to think that if you blow him/her off, you might gain less support and make yourself the clubs FOUNDER look like a jerk, so be open. And like i said...unless your school already loves paintball...I wouldnt risk doing a field this early in the club. You heard it from me...I tried to go all gung ho at first like organizing play dates for the school EVERY weekend...and now we only do it about once a month...because paintball is expensive and people dont understand the amount of money that your dont get anythign except fun out of. But we are blessed because we go to a private school so the parents have decent money...so they can afford it. But good luck...

warbeak2099
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
My friend and I are trying to crack a deal with the local field before we go to the school with the idea. Last year it didn't work because the principal was a close-minded jerk, but we're getting a new one next year. We have the summer now to make a deal. I think that's the best way to do it, work with the local field and shop. That way you have money to spend on uniforms and paint instead of having to build your own field. We'll probably request a small budget from the school (all our clubs have budgets) and we'll charge a reasonable entry fee. I think it can work.
The key to getting aid from the school (support and budget-wise) is your members. Remind your members that if the club shows a 100% participatio in school-related activities sucha s fundraisers, the school will see the club and its members as an asset. I go to private school so we have plenty of fundraisers and stuff (catholic church is all about making money lol). Do whatever you can to show the school that you can give something back to them.

jenarelJAM
06-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Well thanks for the input guys, I didnt really think it would work(i was hoping) but thought that maybe, just maybe it would work out. I probably won't do the "scheduling play dates" thing, because I's a sophomore now(junior in 3-4 days) and with only 2 years left before college, if I can't get this field idea set now, it won't happen before i'm away to college. I'll just go w/ friends on weekends. Who knows, I might do the whole club w/ fundraisers and stuff, buy some reballs, and do drills in someone's backyard. but that wouldn't require a membership fee, just fundraising. Thanks

Jaan
06-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I think the idea of having a club that meets at a local field is a great idea. You can have an elective club where you discuss tactics and such at school but leave the playing to a licensed field.

You know what would kill it if you played on school property? That yahoo (there always is one) who sticks a real AK-47 magazine on his gun and keeps it in his jym bag. I remember when I was in jr high back in the early 80's we had a Dungeons & Dragons club at school ... until that Patricia Pulling chick came out and blamed her sons suicide on D&D. That was the end of playing D&D at school, and that was a game played with nothing but pen, paper and dice years before school shootings and rabid anti-firearm laws.

t33kyboy
06-09-2005, 02:55 AM
I would start the club anyways just to put it on your college application. Hey, maybe you can start another club at college too.

Dont give up that easy.

MAGS_R_COOL
06-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I would still go through with it, for a few reasons. Colleges like a lot of activity in clubs and organazations (get in a few). And if your are the head of one, I think it would definately help. Second of all, a LOT can happen in 2 years. Just start tryin to find someone that would like to take over your position, and try to give the club a nice jump start.

jdhfreak
06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
at my high school several of us have tried to start a paintball club and were told by the school that we couldn't and this is the reason they gave us "it is simulated combat training and innappropriate for the school setting" even though it would be after school and we would play on weekends. we have a backing of about 5 teachers too but the princible won't listen