PDA

View Full Version : LVL10 Spring factor

spsantos
06-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Allright, does spring size affect max rate of fire on a LVL10 X/RT Valve?

.1 Does the smallest spring have enough force to reset the bolt in time to allow a ROF of, let's say, 26bps?

I think that it's theorecticly true, but maybe all the springs have enough strength to reset the bolt in time for the next shot without tapping the limit rof.

.2 I believe the 2 main factors for changing springs are being sweeter/harder on the ball, and needing more/less air to push the bolt forward, is this correct?

.3 If so, wouldn't the shortest spring that's soft on paint be the ideal?

.4 Is it true that the shorter spring may be the one that easier allows you to sweetspot? If so, why?

I have the X-Valve, LVL10, Centerflag Dynaflow regulator @900 psi.

This is not an actual issue, i'm just trying to understand the differences that the springs can make ;)

spsantos
06-09-2005, 08:52 PM
C'mon people, for as most as this thread may sound dumb, i'd like to see replies from the gurus. Mainly on the importance of springs in rof, reactivity and valve strength adjustment.

funeralplanner
06-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm just going to guess here, but I'm going to say the stiff spring will have the fastese ROF, and most conservative on the air. But with that spring you can't use brittle paint....

What do you think?

jenarelJAM
06-10-2005, 12:05 AM
actually, you're dead opposite... heh
the longest spring will be the easiest on paint, because the bolt will move slowest before firing(hard to explain if you're not familiar with how the level 10 works). what you want to do is use the longest spring that allows you to chrono under the field limit. This will slow the bolt down so that it hits the paint slower, therefore easier. to tune your lvl 10 better, you might try moving down a half carrier size for the extra friction, but be sure to put lots of oil through your gun so that your bolt doesnt stick. the long gold spring is around 290 fps, the red one, around 265 fps, and the short gold one, i'm not familiar with, but i think somewhere around 240 fps. any lower than these velocities will not give the valve enough pressure to push the bolt through the spring pressure, and it will either chuff or it will not fire at all.
I'm pretty sure that the longer spring makes for a quicker bolt return, and therefore a faster rate of fire, but I don't know if the short spring can make it to the 26 bps mark. I believe that it can definately make the 20 bps cap on emags, and whatever you can pull on a mech mag.

frop
06-10-2005, 05:11 AM
2,3, and possibly 4 are adressed in that big, long, scary thread at the top of the page called a 'sticky'.

It is my belief(not necessarily true) that spring length won't affect ROF if you're shooting at the intended velocity, w/ enough input pressure, & properly tuned.

Besides, what field are you going to shoot 26bps at? Basically will it slow down? Likely. Will you EVER notice? Not likely.

athomas
06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
The shortest spring will allow the fastest rate of fire.

The level 10 uses pressure differential between the spring and the chamber to determine bolt speed and force. The longer bolt springs have less differential and result in slower forward bolt speeds due to less forward force. They also act more like a regulator at the end of the powertube as the chamber pressure is emptied behind the ball. Towards the end of the firing cycle as the chamber pressure lowers, the air flow out the powertube is reduced but still flowing, even though it is not used to propel the ball. The result is that the bolt is forward longer with the stiffer springs than the shorter ones. Since the chamber pressure at the end of the cycle is released slower, the pressure differential also remains low for the return of the bolt so the bolt return speed is also slow. The end result is a slower bolt speed for the stiffer bolt springs.

1) I'm not 100% sure, but I think all of the bolt springs can attain 26bps. The emag only does 20bps, but that is due to the solenoid limitation not the bolt spring.

2) Shorter springs are harder on paint but release air quicker and return faster which increases efficiency at the cost of softness. A short spring is still pretty soft on paint though.

3) The shortest spring that gives you just enough ball impact resistence is the ideal spring.

4) The sweetspotting retro effect is a result of the pressure differential between the input (tank) pressure and the chamber pressure. The higher differential, the easier it is to sweetspot. The lower chamber operating pressure due to the shorter bolt spring allows the greatest pressure differential.