PDA

View Full Version : Automag doubble feeding.

nerobro
11-28-2001, 02:09 PM
I have Two automags here. They both are breaking paint.

One is a micromag the other is an automag.

Both have oldish boltsprings in them (this is the only place we can find fualt in the guns so far)

When you are fireing the gun, sometimes they will spit two balls out the barrel. More often than not they will break the paint when it doubble feeds. It happens during rapid or slow rates of fire. And very rarely in single shot. The nubbin on the automag has been adjusted throughout it's range. and we are trying a plastic nubbin today. The micromag has it's nubbin working properly.

Yet both guns still manage to doubble feed during strings of paint, no matter the speed.

I"m kinda looking for either confirmation of a hunch, or other leads as to waht the problem can be.

The hunch is that the boltspring is too weak and in one of hte last bounces of the bolt it's pushing a ball past the nubbin in both guns. That's the only common thread between the guns. (the old boltsprings)

Though any other explanation is welcome.

greg.

PyRo
11-28-2001, 02:55 PM
Could be that the paint you are using is way to small for your barrel.

Failure
11-28-2001, 03:10 PM
That was happening to me the other day too. It was doing it in 3 different barrels. Is it possible for the ball to enter the tube, roll forward then another ball to load in after before its shot?

nerobro
11-28-2001, 03:53 PM
Failure: That defines doubble feeding. That is what the detent is supposed to prevent.

No, it's not a paint barrel mismatch. the paint was not rolling through either barrel. it was properly tight in my lapco, and it was quite loose in the teardrop. But it still would stick against gravity.

We checked: Nubbin depth, paint fit, powerfeed plug settings......

OH yes.. that's the one change. We have both recently installed the new parabolic powerfeed plugs.

Muzikman
11-28-2001, 04:05 PM
Hmm...well..take out the new feed plugs and put the old ones back and see what happens:) Geez Greg, I thought you where smarter than this:)

Seriously...that is the exact problem I had with my Micro. It ended up being a wore out trigger (It was accually fireing twice). Seeing as this is happening on both guns, I doubt that is the problem.

nerobro
11-28-2001, 04:08 PM
Yaknow, that bugs me. In theroy the new plugs should be superior.. I'm a little hesitant to swap back. Though that will be something to try. Actually what made me switch first was I was at CCP when it started chopping, and I though "wow, i have a new feed plug, maybe that'll help."

Ok, so we're to new boltspring and new feed plug now...

Muzikman
11-28-2001, 04:12 PM
Well...also look at your sear and bolt. Again, since both guns are doing it I doubt it's the problem, but make sure they have the nice sharp edges...it might accually be firing twice like my micro was. This would explain why it might not be doing it with single shots.

nerobro
11-28-2001, 04:16 PM
I said usually not with single shots.. . with them it just seems to blow paint out the sides more than send to balls down the barrel :-/ both guns. Well I'll test all these hypothesis next weekend.

Yes the bolts and sears are sharp. the one in my mag still looks new ;-)

WE've also checked the timing.. the gun recharges long after the sear has actually caught the bolt. thankfully ;-)

11-28-2001, 08:53 PM
after the automag fires a shot, the bolt is in its rear position, as the trigger is released, pressure from the air valve pushes the bolt till it catches on the sear. on the one automag, this is about 3/16 of an inch.

without a barrel, after firing the mag. i put a paintball so it rested on the bolt, hold the gun vertically, and let go of the trigger, the paintball is launched 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

with the barrel in, this is enough so about 1/20 to 1/30 of the time, the paintball in the breech is pushed forward enough so either a) another ball falls and remains half way in the breech or b) it is pushed forward enough so that another ball feeds in behind it, often causing a barrel break.

is there any way to keep the bolt from propelling the ball past the nubbin after the trigger is released?

nerobro
11-28-2001, 09:27 PM
maybe we just need bigger paint :-) let it get wedged in there pretty well.

11-29-2001, 08:39 AM
too bad a mag is not like a computer, then u could just reformat and reinstall and fix your problems.

nerobro
11-29-2001, 10:46 AM
Did you test the gun with the new boltspring yet?

11-29-2001, 11:17 AM
new boltspring and bumper dont help, i am thinkin that i might have to go back to the foamie bolt. i think that having the foamie on the end of the bolt would't push the paintball past the nubin as easily.

11-30-2001, 03:27 AM
bump

HyperSnyper
11-30-2001, 04:54 AM
Guys,

Id really like to expand this thread and hope the moderators and AGD techs can get involved into this thread also.

I have has similar probs with my Micro as well as my ex-minimag (sold now). This prob happened mostly to my Micro though. When firing at even slow rates of fire (3-4 bps), eventually on the magic 8 th or 12 th ball, spurt, I break paint. I also notice sometimes thats when Im on the field, and a player rushes a bunker, I try to send a wall of paint at them, its then that I notice that I fire 4-5 balls, then all of a sudden, I will be firing blanks. for some reason, the balls would stop feeding down the powerfeed. I would have to get my finger and jab the balls into the breech. This not only happened on my micro, but also on my Mini (so dont blame PtP so easily). I then added an oring on the feedplug, as to space out the plug, and allow more room for the paint to feed.

This solved the prob, til it happened again weeks later, I dont know what is causing the improper feeding on both guns(I need help). I have both old parabolic feed plug (plastic one on the mini) and the new parabolic feedplug (rubber one on the micro).

Other symptoms Ive noticed it that sometimes, when I leave the Micro gassed and let it sit on the table, once in a couple minutes, there will be a small puff of gas, and the bolt will slightly push forward, enough for a double feed (wtf causing this). Also, on the micro, after a day of play, I notice after cleaning the internals, that the powertube tip unscrews itself.

Man oh man, any ideas ppl?

I havent been breaking paint recently, and have been having trouble free operation so far (except for the powertube tip unscrewing) *knock on wood* but would still like to know what is causing probs, and what can be done to remedy it permanently (was thinking of throwing away the original powertube tip oring, and putting in a slightly bigger one, so it will not unscrew itself again).

Oh well let me know all...

-Hyper (crossing fingers that the evil spirits will stay away from my gun for yet a third week)

11-30-2001, 10:46 AM
as far as your problem goes, it sounds like the bolt is just slipping off of the sear.

check to make shure that there is no lubricant on face of sear, if there is clean with alchohol

check to make shure your sear is sharp and not chiped

check to make sure you bolt edge that catches the sear is not worn

check to make shure you have enough effictive length of the sear engaging the bolt (usually this is caused by the trigger rod set so that its final resting place would be past where the frame stops its travel, having the sear partilally up is the result of this). you can check this by just looking at the edge of the sear that catchec the bolt, you will notice a little discololation of the part that catches the sear, i don't know the length that should catch it, but that might be another thread all together.

12-05-2001, 09:45 AM
anyone have any ideas?

nerobro
12-05-2001, 08:34 PM
I called AGD today, they are sending me a set of V style nubbins to try on your gun. Pro-Team could only suggest that i try another nubbin. or to grind away the back of the existing nubbin to allow it deeper into the breach...

deded
12-06-2001, 12:00 AM
I'd say bend the nubbin into the barrel a little further.

If you have the video, watch it, and see how its done.

If you don't have the video, I'll try to explain. Its pretty simple.

You just take the nubbin out and bend it up at a steeper angle with needlenose pliers. Then you bend the other side of the V also, so the pointy side doesn't protrude into the barrel and stick balls.

so where before it may have been like this

,-^-.

it should now be more like this

/\

hope that helps!

nerobro
12-06-2001, 09:50 AM
.... WE have. That was the FIRST thing we tried. And remember, the micromag does not have an adjustable nubbin. And it's nubbin sitcks more than 1/16" into the barrel. AGD only suggests you ahve 1/32 into the barre.