PDA

View Full Version : Stiffi Question

SlartyBartFast
06-13-2005, 10:35 AM
How are they made?

More specifically, are they 2-step/bore barels? Certainly seems that way from reading the web-site.

And is the back control bore actually composite or is the control bore the metal end only?

How long is the control bore?

craltal
06-13-2005, 11:47 AM
How are they made?

More specifically, are they 2-step/bore barels? Certainly seems that way from reading the web-site.

And is the back control bore actually composite or is the control bore the metal end only?

How long is the control bore?

are you referring to the switch kits or the regular barrels?

switch kits have aluminum backs that are a couple of inches long (I don't have it in front of me to actually measure it) with the threading on either end to connect everything together

SlartyBartFast
06-13-2005, 12:56 PM
are you referring to the switch kits or the regular barrels?

Either. The regular barrels look like the first bore is extremely short if it's just the metal back.

player4
06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I have no idea how they are made.

Yes, they are two step bores.

The back bore is aluminum (SP).

The control bore is about one inch long.

- From my expercience (ccm switch kit) this barrel is great. However, if you don't have to perfect o-rings, the back does not aline correctly with the front. Thus not shooting properly. In fact, my friends ccm switch kit never alinged corretly, maybe it was a lemon. I would look into other kits. My friend is selling his and buying a different barrel kit.

VFX_Fenix
06-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Their exact manufacture, I can't say for sure. But usually CF is wrapped around a form in layers with some form of epoxy/resin to bind the layers to eachother. In the case of a tube, like a barrel, layers of fiber are laid down around a dowel which is the negative of the barrel's internal shape. Stiffi's are a stepped bore barrle (meaning that they have two internals diameters, one for the control bore, advertised bore size such as .689, and tip bore, which is around .700) with an aluminum adapter attached at the base for various gun threads.

On a Stiffi the control bore is approx. 6" long with the Switch using bore sizers which don't actually change the caliber of the control bore (.691) but the bore sizers are present to prevent roll-out in closed bolt guns. On either barrel the threaded portions are made of Aluminum and enter into the barrel slightly until they are met with the CF of the actual barrel. The reason that aluminum is used for these threaded sections is because CF cannot withstand the types of forces acting uppon it if it were threaded and would compromise the integrity of the piece (translation CF doesn't do threads).

For clarification there are two things that people commonly refer to when changing bore size. Effective bore size and Breach bore size.

Effective bore (Control Bore) is the ID of the portion of the majority of the barrel that is responsible for acccelerating the ball. Barrels that varry their effective bore are those such as the Arradius, Freak, CP Pro, Boomsticks, CP One Piece, Scepter, Empire, Shaft, etc. Though these barrels change their effective bore differently, either with a sleeve, different back, or entirely different barrel in the case of the CP One Piece and LAPCO Pico/Micro/Big shot and Autospirit.

Breach bore is a ring or short barrel attachment, that's commonly reffered to as a bore sizer or breach sizer, that changes the initial bore of the barrel to prevent roll-out on marker that use closed bolt systems or for marketing purposes on non-closed bolt markers. Examples include the Stiffi Switch, HammerHead, OTP One, and certian models of the CCI Phantom, BOA Constrictor, and certain Palmer's guns. Pretty much anything that has an attachment or sleeve that's less than 3" long.