PDA

View Full Version : Do HP tanks regs doesnt need loctite?

Athius
06-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Since theres been this airline security BS that "We have to see whats inside the tank." and breaking off the loctite of the threads is annoyin.

Does the regs actually need the loctite??

The maxflow doesnt use any loctite, i know some maxflow users with no loctite on their regs and nothing dangerous has happened.

Enemy
06-15-2005, 10:53 PM
if you dont know the answer you shouldnt be taking them apart!!

RRfireblade
06-15-2005, 10:53 PM
The only 'safe' way is to contact the manufacturere for thier recommendations.

It seems as though each has thier own specifications and that's who you'll have to deal with if that thing ever fails and takes someones head off. ;)

magman007
06-16-2005, 02:10 AM
the angel air doeusnt use loctite at all either. it isnt relally necessary, the pressure holds the tank on the threads, most manufacturers dont seem to be using loctite any more, especially when the whole loc tite clogs the relief holes issue has been arising. its truly supposed to be torqued on to specific foot pounds, but as most people dont have torque wrenches, you cant really do that.

hand tight is fine

can'tthink of1
06-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Loctite can supposedly start screwing up the threads. I've been told a strong strap wretch tightening is all thats needed.

WickeDKlowN
06-16-2005, 02:29 AM
Personally, if I were to put a reg on a tank, I wouldn't loctite it. It can clog the holes and has a possibility of wrecking the threads, causing it to fail hydrotesting. But, I've never encountered a situation where I had to put one on. All my tanks came with regs already on them.

Strangely, I get the question via AIM once every few months. People IM me with all kinds of weird questions actually. I need a new screenname...

automagking182
06-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Adjustable regulators such as the MaxFlow which freely screw on and off a tank have an o-ring which seals in the air around the threads. On preset tanks, which dont have adjustable regulators, red locktite is used to simulate this seal and to make sure the reg doesnt come off or loosen as time goes on.

Be careful when you try to take a regulator off of a preset tank, some manufacturers such as Centerflag use such permanant locktite that you have to break the reg to get it off (trust me this has happened).

TMAXXKING1
06-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Adjustable regulators such as the MaxFlow which freely screw on and off a tank have an o-ring which seals in the air around the threads. On preset tanks, which dont have adjustable regulators, red locktite is used to simulate this seal and to make sure the reg doesnt come off or loosen as time goes on.

Be careful when you try to take a regulator off of a preset tank, some manufacturers such as Centerflag use such permanant locktite that you have to break the reg to get it off (trust me this has happened).

about time someone had some made a post worth reading ..

i have taken off atleast 15 regs from tank's and every one had red loctite on them..

and they had red loctite put back on them

one tiny drop at the end of the threads screw the reg back on ..
let it sit for 24 hours before you air it up...

this is how most regs get screwed up no one can wait for the loctite to dry ....

bring it to a shop .... get them to do it ..........

VFX_Fenix
06-16-2005, 04:30 AM
Tanks dont actually need to have a thread locker placed on them, some companies use tool breakable lock-tite but with the reg torqued down to spec you shouldn't be able to twist the reg off of the tank. For those that are wondering, spec on a reg is 75 - 85 lbs. That combined with any temporary thread locker will be more than sufficient to keep that thing from twisting off without the use of tools.

Tunaman
06-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Tanks dont actually need to have a thread locker placed on them, some companies use tool breakable lock-tite but with the reg torqued down to spec you shouldn't be able to twist the reg off of the tank. For those that are wondering, spec on a reg is 75 - 85 lbs. That combined with any temporary thread locker will be more than sufficient to keep that thing from twisting off without the use of tools.DO NOT USE THE ABOVE SPECS ON ANY FLATLINE TANK! They use NO loctite either. ;)

can'tthink of1
06-16-2005, 05:54 AM
So are you supposed to put any sort of loctite on preset tanks? And if so, red or blue?

RRfireblade
06-16-2005, 07:47 AM
The only 'safe' way is to contact the manufacturere for thier recommendations.

That's the ONLY rule yo can go by. For each manufacturere that recommends locktite there are one that doesn't.

SP, AGD doesn't,

Crossfire,PMI,Centerflag does and so on.

Don't take that risk yourself, it's not worth it.

And BTW, ALL tanks right down to CO2 seal with an o-ring, thread locker has nothing to do with it.

VFX_Fenix
06-16-2005, 08:26 AM
DO NOT USE THE ABOVE SPECS ON ANY FLATLINE TANK! They use NO loctite either. ;)

I got that torque rating from Carlton... unless I missed something lol Anywho, listen to the fish, not the bird brain. Either way, I still have yet to see loc-tite used on my air systems. So what is spec torque spec on the flatline anyway?

EDIT - I went diving around trying to find where I got the torque number from Carleton and came up with nothing, though I did stumble across Carleton's note not to use loc-tite on its cylinders. :tard:

EDIT Again - I found out where I got the Torque info from and it isn't from Composite cylinders, it's for Aluminum cylinders and it was the wrong number anyway (memmory appears to be going) anyway, Torque spec on Aluminum CO2 cylinders is 40lb-ft based on an 18 - unf thread.

TheTramp
06-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I got two tanks back from hydro testing and the testing company said that they would not put the regs back on the tanks because there was evidence that loc-tite had been used on the threads and they would not be held responsible for reassembly.

I've always cleaned the threads and NOT applied loc-tite since then.

Athius
06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Well the tanks that i have is an evil scion and a crossfire LP preset. So the scion since it is adjustable doesnt need any loctite at all?

I ask in tampa at the evil booth and the guy tould me that it was dangerous to take of the reg from the tank.

bambam
06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
I know this is about applying or not applying loctite but have anyone of you ever came across removing a reg in the clockwise rotation?

RRfireblade
06-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Here's the deal and the reason why Paintball complicates matters.

Title 49CFR - Part 172 ? I don't recall exactly....covering the saftey and inspection of high pressure cylinders states that the threads of the cylinder must not be compromised in any way,shape or form. Locktite technically violates that standard when used on aluminum cylinders and 'should' qualify the tank as un-usable after it's application if the reg/Valve/whatever ever has to be removed.

It actually recommended that on aluminum straight threaded tanks that a thread lubricant be used to insure the integrety of the threads remain intact and reliable torque readings.

The complications come w/ paintball where 'we' need to A) constantly unscrew our tanks from the marker and B) Typically see a number of Hydro test cycles expire.

Safety unscrewing the tank without the Reg becomes a huge safety risk in paintballer's and as we know can easily become life threating.

So....

Technically and somewhat generally speaking, threadlocker should not be used on High pressure cylinders 'unless' recommended by the manufacture for safety and/or liability reasons. Any service done by an untrained and uncertified end user is AT HIS OWN RISK and makes him liable to any unforseen circumstances or tragedies.And BTW guilty of non compliance with a federally mandated certificaition.

RRfireblade
06-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I know this is about applying or not applying loctite but have anyone of you ever came across removing a reg in the clockwise rotation?

HP cylinder threads have different spec'd threads (TPI,Orientaions) based on the intended pressure any fittings or valves are expected to see making it impossible to afix an incorrectly rated fixture to the wrong HP tank. After, I belive 5000psi, the threads do change to left hand in some applications. Personally I've never seen that in a paintball application but i guess it's possible if the cylinder rating permits it.

automagking182
06-16-2005, 01:49 PM
On the topic, if you try to remove a regulator from any preset tank and you are unable to get it off with the means of a wrench, the chances are you are not ever gonna get the thing off without breaking it. My proshop wont even touch the tank with intentions of taking the reg off because the manufacturer {Centerflag} had not recommended or endorsed doing it. Yet I went on and had a friend of mine with a vice attempt to crack the locktite seal and in doing so the reg broke off.

The only thing you can do in this situation is resort to calling the manufacturer, and they still will probably tell you not to attempt to take the reg off because one, it could very easily break your reg and tank, and two, if you do somehow manage to get it off they probably wouldnt want you selling or putting it on another tank.

Athius
06-16-2005, 02:33 PM
This is what crossfire told me today on my email the loctite is not REQUiRED!!

"The only reason they come standard loctited is for all of the 12
to 17
year old kids. This is the largest group playing the game. For our
liability and their safety we feel that we need to Loctite. Tournament
players are different. Not that any of you know what you are doing
(joke).
We can remove the reg for you and all you need to do is keep the
threads
greased very well to keep the threads from seizing from constant
screwing
and unscrewing.
I feel better doing it here because we have the right technique and
tools.
Your only expense will be freight. Cool?

Chris
President
Crossfire"

TheTramp
06-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't suppose they told you what grease they recomended.

Tunaman
06-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I got that torque rating from Carlton... unless I missed something lol Anywho, listen to the fish, not the bird brain. Either way, I still have yet to see loc-tite used on my air systems. So what is spec torque spec on the flatline anyway?

EDIT - I went diving around trying to find where I got the torque number from Carleton and came up with nothing, though I did stumble across Carleton's note not to use loc-tite on its cylinders. :tard:

EDIT Again - I found out where I got the Torque info from and it isn't from Composite cylinders, it's for Aluminum cylinders and it was the wrong number anyway (memmory appears to be going) anyway, Torque spec on Aluminum CO2 cylinders is 40lb-ft based on an 18 - unf thread.tHE TORQUE SPEC ON A fLATLINE REG IS 25 FT LBS. This can only be attained properly with the use of a Flatline Regulator Installation tool. These are custom made and are not for sale. I will be happy to install a flatline reg for anyone that needs it. ;)

VFX_Fenix
06-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Thank you TunaMan, you're the best :cool: