PDA

View Full Version : At wits' end with Classic mag

drg
06-16-2005, 02:17 AM
I bought a classic mag a while ago but have never been able to get it running right. The symptoms are: occasional first hot shot, massive velocity fluctuations (40 fps or more), massive shootdown to the point of sticking/locking up if I keep going.

I have replaced pretty much every O-ring in the gun, the seat like three times, the pin, even the spring pack. I've spent a third of what I originally paid for the gun on trying to fix it and it still doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions? I must be overlooking something.

It's a level 7 mag with foamieless bolt. Although I bought my first mag in 1992, I have not owned one for over ten years so I do not know all the details and variations. Is there something other information needed for troubleshooting?

AGDlover
06-16-2005, 12:13 PM
did you modify your sear at all?

Automaggot68
06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
I bought a classic mag a while ago but have never been able to get it running right. The symptoms are: occasional first hot shot, massive velocity fluctuations (40 fps or more), massive shootdown to the point of sticking/locking up if I keep going.

I have replaced pretty much every O-ring in the gun, the seat like three times, the pin, even the spring pack. I've spent a third of what I originally paid for the gun on trying to fix it and it still doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions? I must be overlooking something.

It's a level 7 mag with foamieless bolt. Although I bought my first mag in 1992, I have not owned one for over ten years so I do not know all the details and variations. Is there something other information needed for troubleshooting?

Hmm.

Whats your input pressure, are you using a preset, or an adjustable?
Is your on/off porperly lubed, are you using ULT? Are you using CO2, or HPA?
Are you Double regging, or?

drg
06-16-2005, 04:15 PM
No sear mod by me, but that doesnt mean the previous owner may not have. How can I tell?

CO2 powered so ~850 psi. On off and just about everything else lubed multiple times. No double regging, simple bottomline setup. The problem is way too bad to be air source related, unless somehow Classics are far different from the original automags.

Automaggot68
06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
No sear mod by me, but that doesnt mean the previous owner may not have. How can I tell?

CO2 powered so ~850 psi. On off and just about everything else lubed multiple times. No double regging, simple bottomline setup. The problem is way too bad to be air source related, unless somehow Classics are far different from the original automags.

(sorry about the silly questions-- just needed more info)
Maybe your Valve is freezing up?
You should look into getting an Expansion chamber, or if you have the greens, a Palmer Stabilizer. Hell, PM me your info and I'll send you one for free. If you need a vert ASA, I'll be more than happy to send one your way as well.

NoForts4Me
06-16-2005, 04:21 PM
This may be a stupid question, but are you using an anti-siphoned CO2 Tank?

BigEvil
06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
This may be a stupid question, but are you using an anti-siphoned CO2 Tank?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a classic case of liquid co2 entering the gun.

If you have a verticle bottle adaptor, try running the bottle from there, that will stop liquid from entering your gun. THen you know that its not the gun, but the set-up that is the problem.

drg
06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
It is not anti-siphoned, however I have used an original mag in a similar situation (and still have access to that mag) and I can say the problems are WAY too bad to be chalked up to CO2 alone, even non-antisiphoned. My old mag was eminently playable and worked great, this classic is not playable at all.

The fluctuations occur under very slow firing as well; the gun shootsdown to lockup so quickly that the tank doesn't even get cold.

Automaggot68
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
It is not anti-siphoned, however I have used an original mag in a similar situation (and still have access to that mag) and I can say the problems are WAY too bad to be chalked up to CO2 alone, even non-antisiphoned. My old mag was eminently playable and worked great, this classic is not playable at all.

The fluctuations occur under very slow firing as well; the gun shootsdown to lockup so quickly that the tank doesn't even get cold.
So...you dont want free stuff? haha

drg
06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
free stuff?

Automaggot68
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM
free stuff?

(sorry about the silly questions-- just needed more info)
Maybe your Valve is freezing up?
You should look into getting an Expansion chamber, or if you have the greens, a Palmer Stabilizer. Hell, PM me your info and I'll send you one for free. If you need a vert ASA, I'll be more than happy to send one your way as well.

drg
06-16-2005, 05:18 PM
oh, whoa i missed that. i wouldn't turn it down, however i seriously doubt it will solve my problem. pming you ;)

Automaggot68
06-16-2005, 05:20 PM
oh, whoa i missed that. i wouldn't turn it down, however i seriously doubt it will solve my problem. pming you ;)
Well, it sounds alot like what happened ot my first mag So hell, it wouldn't hurt, would it?

drg
06-16-2005, 08:41 PM
anything else i can try in the meantime?

Jaan
06-16-2005, 09:18 PM
anything else i can try in the meantime?
Borrow a compressed air tank, or drop by your local paintball store and test it out on one of thiers. Make sure that the air source isn't the problem.

Aleis
06-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Is there corrosion on the main spring? I had one mag i got from an Abusive owner that had this problem i sandpapered it a little oiled it up a lot and shot it a bunch to clear it off.

If you wan tot check the sear for where breack out your working mag and compair the sears should be any real difference between the two if they are stock. also look at teh bolt to see if it's been "chewed up" from shortstroking, look at eh lip the spring sits on.

Tunaman
06-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Send it here and i will be glad to fix it for you. Email me. ;)

drg
06-17-2005, 08:36 AM
thanks for all the ideas folks. i will go over everything with a fine-toothed comb before i give up completely :wow: