PDA

View Full Version : E-Mag to ICD Desert Fox

spike22
06-20-2005, 04:33 PM
ok...i have a 98 DesertFox and i have been toying with the idea of making an e-grip for it...
then i remembered that the DesertFox and the Automag were very similar in design..
i was just wondering if anyone out there knew what it would take to convert an Automag e-grip so that it would work with a 98 Desert Fox...
if you need to know more about the 98 DesertFox...please follow this link and read up...
Please click here (http://www.cognitivevent.com/icd/fox_main.html#intro)
please bear in mind that it is a marker from 98 and the site is kinda old...lol...but it will give you the basics...
my second questions (should the e-grip be able to be used on my Fox)...where would i find just the old e-grip upgrade and how much are they running these days????
thanks for all of your help upfront..
spike22

Jaan
06-20-2005, 05:14 PM
it seems electronic grips for the Automag are a bit rare, you'll probably be better off using a much more common Spyder electronic grip. People have modified Spyder e-grips for Automags already so it's certainly possible to do it to a Desert Fox. A stock used Hyperfame for example might got for $150 and that won't even do full auto and many are capped at 13bps, but a stock Spyder grip will give you all that and goes for about $40 on e-bay.

Asym
06-20-2005, 06:23 PM
The deserfox is similar in the fact that it uses a blow forward design like the automag. On an automag there's a grip frame, rail that goes betweeen the body and grip frame which holds the sear, and the body. On the desertfox the lower reciever frame has everything for the sear and trigger assebly built in, the grip is just a bolt on handle that doesn't house any of the trigger system. To convert a desertfox to electronic you would have to build a custom lower reciever/grip frame, or cut out a large portion out of an existing lower reciever so a grip frame would fit.

The lower reciever holds the upper reciever(body) and valve together, and it also has the gas path built in it to feed the valve. If you don't want to destroy your lower reciever to make a electronic grip frame fit you would have to custom make a lower reciever to try and modify a frame to fit, or just custom make it all together.

spike22
06-21-2005, 09:58 AM
thanks for that help guys....im thinking that this is going to be a much more custom job that i had thought...*smiles*....this is going to be fun....
so getting a spyder e-grip and modifiying it sounds like the better way to go...
wonder which would be easier to mod....the e-grip or the lower receiver?... :confused: :tard:
im going to go look at some spyder e-grips and see what i can see....
thanks again guys
spike

personman
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Keep in mind the reason that us mag owners can use spyder frames effectively is that we have ULT which makes it easier for the solenoid to trip the sear. I dont know what the pull is like on a desert fod though.