PDA

View Full Version : New barrel.....

SlartyBartFast
06-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Was doing some thinking and wondered if anyone though of producing a single bore barrel with thin wall tubing and a composite shell.

I found a supplier of 0.5mm (0.02" :eek: ) stainless steel tubing with a ID of .689". PERFECT for barrels. No?

I could also get .685 and .693 but wih different sized walls. Also available in titanium. Guess that would sell to the exotic materials hype crowd. :p

Wrap the outside in FRP/CF and all the advantages of sst interior, single bore, super lightweight.

Good idea or bad idea?

Of course I haven't priced this stuff yet...

tony3
06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
How expensive is it for 14-15inches? Sounds like a decent idea. What will the threads be made of? The same tube? .02" is kind of small for marker threads.

SlartyBartFast
06-20-2005, 05:04 PM
How expensive is it for 14-15inches? Sounds like a decent idea. What will the threads be made of? The same tube? .02" is kind of small for marker threads.

1- Haven't priced it yet.
2- Threads would be like Stiffis. Machined aluminum.

Glue machined threads to outside of tube/FRP/CF.

Miscue
06-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I'd like a PVC pipe barrel... if you can figure out how to make a .689 one with cocker threads.

68magOwner
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd like a PVC pipe barrel... if you can figure out how to make a .689 one with cocker threads.

uh oh, has miscue been in the AKA forum on pbn :nono: :rofl: :clap:

Miscue
06-20-2005, 05:44 PM

?? Nope.

minimag03
06-20-2005, 06:52 PM

While we are at it, why don't we make a X-valve out of PVC? It should fit it they would only be like 1 pound.

vikingpower is the best

68magOwner
06-20-2005, 07:54 PM
?? Nope.

oh :( :tard:

yeah, well, PVC is a hot topic there, become a long running joke

magman007
06-20-2005, 08:08 PM
dont bother, i doubt it will sell. sorry, but it is true. the longbow didnt sell, and it seemed like an awesome idea, the titanium boomstick doesnt really sell well, a cf wraped ss barrel, i doubt will sell. especially with the cf market already covered well, and the many other barrel companies out there

frop
06-21-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm sure Lapco will do a custom jobby. Probably get the smoothest finish you'll ever see from PVC too :D

VFX_Fenix
06-21-2005, 01:24 AM
And the return of barrel sleeves! Yes! About time too :cool:

SlartyBartFast
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
dont bother, i doubt it will sell. sorry, but it is true. the longbow didnt sell, and it seemed like an awesome idea, the titanium boomstick doesnt really sell well, a cf wraped ss barrel, i doubt will sell. especially with the cf market already covered well, and the many other barrel companies out there

Well, at least your post was intelligent.

The "cf" market is "covered". There's a composite barrel available. Different thing.

The cf/frp in this case would be to add strength to the thin wall metal tube. Not for show or as an expensive exercise in selling players a plastic barrel.

SlartyBartFast
06-21-2005, 08:01 AM

Buy a Splatmaster. You'll soon not want a PVC barrel anymore. :p

All the Stiffi is is an overpriced equivalent of a PVC barrel that the kiddies love because CF is "cool".

I just thought that my idea would be a nice light-weight replacement for those that know that a well honed/polished LAPCO SS is still one of the best, but a might too heavy.