PDA

View Full Version : Navy Field (Free Online WWII Naval Sim Game)

Thordic
06-27-2005, 08:36 AM
http://www.navyfield.com/

Its in Beta right now, so its free. Its a pretty cool game, although the lack of documentation makes it a bit confusing at the start.

You start off with a frigate and a rookie crew, and you have to work your way up the food chain. After your sailors gain enough experience you can upgrade to destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers, or battleships.

You get to choose between one of four ship-trees, USA, UK, Germany, and Japan. The ships in the game are modeled after real-life ships such as the Yamato and the Bismark.

Its fun and frustrating at the same time, but its a free beta, and worth giving a shot, IMO.

Its around a 300MB download, but I don't think the requirements are that high so you don't need a supermachine to play it.

A bunch of us on my forums have started playing, theres a thread on it there too.

http://www.thordic.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1773

The more players the better, so go sign up. I warn you its kinda addicting.

Eagle
06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Playing as a frig? Crap, gimme a submarine any day. They put more tonnage on the bottom then anyone, especially a frigate. :D

Thordic
06-27-2005, 09:45 AM
There are no subs in the game, surface ships only.

Submarines would be hard to integrate with the way the game works, first off, and secondly, the game is all about big fleet battles. Subs weren't part of fleets.

MiniSpdRcr
06-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I cant download it...it says it is not found on their servers. ???

Thordic
06-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Hrm. Maybe they are updating the download version. They had a bunch of updates lately, maybe they are incorporating them into the installer.

Hopefully its back up soon.

You can get it off download.com, but I don't reccomend it. That version is kinda old and for some reason tends to crash even if you update it, but if you want to give it a shot, you can try it.

Eagle
06-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Subs weren't part of fleets.

Ah no, now you gone and done it. Need I bring up the subject of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, where if it weren't for the participation of 2 of our FLEET boats (the Drum and the Dace I think, but I'm not sure) the battle would have been a hell of a lot different.

Miscue
06-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I've been playing Silent Hunter III lately... it's a good WWII sub game. I still like the old school Red Storm Rising game from way back.

fire1811
06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I've been playing Silent Hunter III lately... it's a good WWII sub game. I still like the old school Red Storm Rising game from way back.
hell I still bust out silent service for NES every now and again. great game

Thordic
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Ah no, now you gone and done it. Need I bring up the subject of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, where if it weren't for the participation of 2 of our FLEET boats (the Drum and the Dace I think, but I'm not sure) the battle would have been a hell of a lot different.

As a general rule they were not part of fleets. DOn't be a picky *****.

If you dont wanna play the game, then don't play it. BUt everyone I know who has tried it liked it. So try it or don't try it, but stop *****ing.

Jakedubbleya
06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
I cant download it...it says it is not found on their servers. ???

qft, sounds cool tho, ill dl it later.

SpecialBlend2786
06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
yeah it looks fun as hell. I'll download it when it comes back up.

devildog
06-28-2005, 01:57 AM
the auto install is down, but the manual install seems to work. im about halfway through the download right now.

Thordic
06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.navyfield.com/images/us_1/01.jpg

http://www.navyfield.com/images/us_1/05.jpg

Couple screen shots to tempt those who havn't signed up yet :)

Steelrat
06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
I attempted to download the game, and then my lifebooks hard drive self destructed. Coincidence?

Steelrat
06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Can you get something other than the old battleships, like the Tenn pictured there? You know, something like the Iowas?

I can't wait to play this game, looks awesome.

Glickman
06-28-2005, 06:24 PM
finally, Tom can step up and become ruler of the 7 seas!

edit: or was that aquaman?

Jakedubbleya
07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
finally, Tom can step up and become ruler of the 7 seas!

edit: or was that aquaman?

aaaaahhh good laugh there:)

anyway, so i finally got this game goin, and MAN! do i am HORRIBLE AT IT! its liek a 20 min delay between raising and lowering angles, or i jus tdotn know how to do it, confusing as hell, i dotn knwo why i can only hold 2 cases of bullets (not at each gun, total), i dont know how to upgrade to a better ship because when i try it says "that name is already taken" and i cant find a frickin spot to puyt a different name in.

other than that, its a decent game, its just no fun when you cant get it to work lol aand it takes a half hour to kill one enemy ship.

steimway
07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Dang, windows only. Well, have fun folks. I'll just be listening to the soundtrack.

Thordic
07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Dang, windows only. Well, have fun folks. I'll just be listening to the soundtrack.

bofh dug up a PC and put WinXP on it just to play this game :) And I think someone else reformatted a Linux box with Windows to play as well.

steimway
07-01-2005, 03:34 PM
bofh dug up a PC and put WinXP on it just to play this game :) And I think someone else reformatted a Linux box with Windows to play as well.

It's that good, huh? Well, I know vpc can't handle it, maybe I'll try a school computer.