PDA

View Full Version : Color-flop/chameleon paint replicated in ano?!

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/Kustom-Supplies_Specialty-Paints

Alright. So I saw something like this years ago on Punisher's site, and saw a posting for an ion in the classifieds for the same thing. I really like the chameleon paint look, but I'd rather get an ano with the same effect. My thinking is that the ano would be more resistant to scratches and such. Am I correct in my thinking? If you guys think that the paint could stand up the same as the ano, then I'm considering testing some of these paints on my spare mag. And if that goes well, maybe do it to my karta. I don't know, it just feels kind of cheap to "paint" something like that when you can get it anodized. But like I said, I REALLY like the chameleon paint look.

Does anybody know of anybody that can do ano jobs with that look?!

Input please.........

CaptainNeeda
06-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Something like this?

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/spindoctorpaintball/Aurora%201.jpg

CaptainNeeda
06-28-2005, 08:16 PM
The above marker was done by planet eclipe many years ago. It is called auroa, if I recall. Essentialy some kind of titanium elecro-plate. Sufice to say the procces was VERY expensive.

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
or this .... :D ...yes, I know all about it (that's my impulse), but thanks for the suggestion Needa. It's more of a reactive finish. The colors you see shift as the angle of the surface changes to your line of sight with the chameleon paint. Oh, and I've seen that cocker before....gorgeous! I've always loved the aurora finish too. If I could find someone that would do that, THAT'S what I would do to my karta!

CaptainNeeda
06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
:cry: I've FAILED :cry:

lol

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
:rofl:

Jonno06
06-28-2005, 08:47 PM
is that the biggest feedneck i have ever seen?

yes, yes it is.

(also, goodluck with that paint. i want the same anno for my bushy)

Echo419
06-28-2005, 08:48 PM
so how much would this be in comparison with a typical ano

nameless143
06-28-2005, 08:57 PM
so how much would this be in comparison with a typical ano

Well considering the 10% chance of success, the extremely high voltages required, and the obvious dangers of being around this much energy, I'd have to guess quite a bit.

FreakBaller12
06-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Alright, here's the lowdown on the whole Aurora finish.
Yes Planet eclipse did do a special edtion finish on the cocker seen above. They only made about 10-25 of them because it costed too much money. It costed so much money because you had to send thousands of volts throught the metal to give it a finish such as that. It also did not always work, which made it even more expensive and not worth it to do in the long run. I'm not positive but the bushy was made by planet eclipse as well and obviously was done the same way.
You most likely will not find a place willing to do this. It costs alot of money and there is a large risk doing it because it might not always come out good. The finish was also known to flake after a while. If you did end up finding a place to do this for you. It will probably be in excess of $400.

Cool finish none the less. :)

VFX_Fenix
06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
There's another process that I've seen done, can't recall exactly what it is, that's something along the lines of acid etching which micro-scores the surface and makes a prism like finish. The Disney building near Irvine has it done to sheets of aluminum and you can see it from the freeway.

Beyond that there isn't much you can do because of the nature of anodizing. Unless you can find an anodizer that can suspend small reflective particles in their dyes you're out of luck.

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes, good, but my original question was about the chameleon style paint being replicated in an ano job (I'm not flaming, I appreciate all the input/interest), so if anyone has any clue about the paint scheme, please give us a holla. ALSO, if anyone is aware of who will do the aurora these days, give us another holla. Yes, I know I can contact Eclpise and ask/beg/cajole, but I'm looking for alternatives to that. I will do that evetually maybe. Heck, $400 isn't too expensive for my karta if I can get that finish. I'm also aware that the aurora finish had a real bad success rate. I'd chance it given the oppertunity..... :headbang:

Cool, thanks Fenix...

Spartan X
06-29-2005, 09:57 AM
The chance rate was 10 out of 100 bodies.

Cause thats how many servived/and were destroyed of each make.

slade
06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Heck, $400 isn't too expensive for my karta if I can get that finish. I'm also aware that the aurora finish had a real bad success rate.
yeah $400 isnt too bad... but first of all my guess would be it would/could be considerably more, plus think of the cost of the 10 karta bodies youd need to get one done successfully (and the $4000 for anoing all 10)

SummaryJudgement
06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
:cry: I think your right :cry:

...me wanty aurora...

1337caesar
06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
you wouldnt need 10 for sure, it might come out right on the fith one, then it's only a $2000 anno job and if 2 or 3 survive you could sell them for lots of money