PDA

View Full Version : Polishing suggestions...

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 09:19 PM
So I asked my paint question earlier. Here's a metal polishing question. What do you guys recommend for metal polishing. I've had no more experience than buffing stuff with steel wool. If I wanted to get a super high polish on some mag parts, what should I use/do? I've got a spare body, grip frame, rail, etc. that I want to experiment on. I'm not using them right now for anything and want to tinker. I figure since I'm not going to rush them off to get anodized or anything I could practice some stuff. So I want to be able to polish them real well and then maybe paint them.

Please be specific. Even down to the brand name you prefer. I'd love a good one-stop web-site for all my shopping needs if there's stuff to buy. I don't have a car and don't live close to anywhere to buy this kind of stuff, so web shopping and shipping is how I get most of my stuff these days.

Any input is greatly appreciated :D

Vex
06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
While it's not super high quality, "NevR Dul" puts one hell of a shine on metal!--it takes a bit of elbow grease to use, but damn it's worth it! This can be picked up at Wal-Mart or Home Depot, etc...

SummaryJudgement
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Vex
06-28-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm sure you can find better stuff, but NevR Dul works well for me. You've got to apply it, then wipe it off with a clean rag, then you can wash it or whatever. I recommend wearing latex gloves while using it (just because it gets your hands dirty).

tdogreb
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
If your polishing medal, not painted metel, use a polishing rouge. You must have a high speed drill or a dremil tool to use this stuff but it will make stuff look like chrome. Can get it at home depot, or other hardware stores. I use the white rouge to polish the aluminum on my harley. Also the polishing wheel you use must be one that is sown together like 4 or 5 times.

Arstron
06-29-2005, 01:12 PM
On my polished aluminum wheels on my truck, I use never dull and then "Mothers mag and aluminum polish" I used to use the same stuff when I had my first mag which had been polished.