PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Shocker, need info from former Mag to Shocker users

Carbon
06-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Because from my estimation, its about the closest thing to what a mag feels like.
I tried a DM 4/5, Timmies (shudder) and an ego. All really nice, but not exactly what i was looking for in terms of weight distribution and balance.

Anyhow i've had my mag for about 2 1/2 - 3 years now and countless cases of paint. She is still on her original quad oring and on/off orings and 2 LX oring. Now that is reliability. Now i know that the shocker wouldnt be as trouble free or as durable as my mag. And besides if i dont like the shocker, i can alway sell it. I just wanted something different and familiar.

Anyhow. I would like to hear from you Shocker users that went from a Mag to a Shocker.

Was maintenance a nightmare? I dont min the work really, i would clean my mag after every session anyway.

I was planning on geting an HE bolt kit which should up the efficiency. What were your appx. numbers post and pre HE bolt?

anyhow thanx for the help. Still an AGD fan.

can'tthink of1
06-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Shockers are pretty unreliable, I have to say. When they work, they are nice, but they go down quite often. I suggest investing in a couple o-ring rebuild kits (or the commonly blown orings, I dunno what they are) just so you are prepared.

Also, their anno is crappy and fades quick, and the metal they are made out of is pretty crappy and not very strong.

VFX_Fenix
06-29-2005, 02:46 AM
Cleaning a Shocker is just about as easy as cleaning a Mag. Unscrew the back plate and pull the guts out.

Things to be aware of, like it's possible to nic the o-rings when removing parts from the body and, of course, Shocker Lube is the order of the day whenever you take your Shocker apart.

A Nightmare would be if you've had a long day of breaking paint, cleaning out the eye can be a hassle and the Eye ribbon isn't the most durable item, if the eye ever comes loose from the ribbon kiss your vision g'bye until you replace it.

General rule of thumb, clean your shocker after every few cases unless you've broken paint, then clean as soon as you can.

The HE bolt will have you see a loss of shot to shot consistancy, at least this is what I've been told by people that have it.

All in all the Shocker is lower maintinance than the Automag, though it still likes regular cleanings.

Playing with a Shocker Vs. my E-Mag with 1.37 software, the Shocker definately feels faster though I'm still not a fan of the trigger. Also the shocker is lighter than the E-Mag by quite a bit, even with air system and hopper installed. All in all it feels very much like a lighter, faster E-Mag. Trouble shooting when they get sick is about as complicated, and definately have a spare o-ring kit in your gear bag (but don't we always carry spare parts for our guns?). Rebound is kinda nuts though it's easy enough to get out of once you realise your in it.

Feed it good paint and hold on to your hat, you'll think you're still shooting your Mag if you don't look too carefully.

desslock
06-29-2005, 04:43 AM
so far here are the problems I have run into.....if you plan on buying a shocker find out what type of noid it has. The 05 have a different noid than the 03 shockers, so....if you buy a HE kit crank your dwell up. Mine is 8 chirps away from max. The newer noids require a much higher dwell. Do not mess with the cycle rate!!!!! stock is fine. Too much tinkering with the cycle rate and you will probally not get the bolt to reset/regas correctly. The vert maxflo is ok but I think a little big and uncomy, switch up to a cp. Either ND or SP makes an asa with a gauge...nice investment easy way to know excatly what your input pressure is set.

Now the positive...never had a chop or eye malfunction, with HE kit pretty good on air, but your coming from the mag world so you are prob already used to gas hogs :rofl: nice and light, stock trigger has a nice feel, can be adjusted to your preference.

I have shot teamates shockers from the first 03 to finally buying my own back in Jan. I play almost every sunday and I can say that once you get your shocker broken/tuned in you will be happy. thats my 2 cents.

BigEvil
06-29-2005, 04:56 AM
www.shockerowners.com

Mr. Mouse
06-29-2005, 08:55 AM
i have a shocker and ran into no problems yet... *knock on wood*, i have the HE bolt kit, cp trigger, the new virtue board in it, freak back with .89 insert, once you get it learn how to take it apart and stuff and to clean it after every weekend of play.. that is if you dont want any problems with it, i usally take the whole gun apart except taking the 2 solonoid rods out becaues all they do is let air through the gun and dont move, but ya the only real maintence is maintaining it and relubing it after every weekend and you shouldnt have any problems..

i love my mag and shocker cause there both easy to work on, and both are reliable guns and i use both of them, ill post pics up sometime of them when i get the time but both guns are the greatest and i wouldnt trade anything for them, and both guns put paint where i aim which makes me happy =) any questions you can pm me or just go on over to www.shockerowners.com which im on there too so.. yup... :D

JimmyBeam
06-29-2005, 09:22 AM
get an Ion and fully up it. same size/weight, better eyes. just as effecient. it just doesnt come with all the hype and high $$$ pricetag. it shoots paintballs just as well though.

and slap on Nicad's carbon fiber body.......mmmm

Southparkrocks
06-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Get a shocker for 500.

JAM
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
freak back with .89 insert

Sorry to hijack, but Wow, you shoot some big paint!
;)

personman
06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
You know, a freestyle works pretty much the same way as a mag ;)

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Go to www.shockerowners.com for good info, Ydna knows his stuff. The mag is a good gun, but the Shocker is even better.

Disclaime: this is not a slam or a bash on mags!

Mr. Mouse
06-29-2005, 01:16 PM
i dont shoot big paint i just dont have a kit yet or the money for one so i just got one big insert so i didnt get any barrel breaks seesh :p

Carbon
06-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah ive been to the Shockerowners.com site. There is some usefull info in there. I do realize the gun is far from perfect but, so is my mag. Thnx for the info yall, keep em coming.

Oring kits for sure, i plan top grab enough for at least 2 rebuilds and plenty of dow 33. Aa far as it goes the only after maket part i plan to buy is an HE bolt.

b&r automag
06-29-2005, 10:10 PM
I always hesitated on getting a electronic marker. I always feared of all the problems that may come about....... BUT BOY WAS I WRONG!!!! My first Shocker I bought...won't say how much I spent, but my wallet was empty and my credit card cracked....but it was well worth the investment. It hasn't even been almost a month later and I just got my second Shocker ($650) for my girlfriend.....shhhh, but it really is for me :D .
First of all these guns RIP!! I mean rip one in your undies and leaving some extra stains kind of RIP (a little overexaggeration but just trying to paint a picture). I have both with Vision and the Nerve Board. Infact I had to turn down my rate of fire because these markers are so fast. I don't know if the HE bolt makes a difference but I can handle 5 pods and a full hopper off of a 45/45 tank (the tank has to be full...4200 psi at least). As for accuracy, I shoot better with this than my Mag, it might just be me but I think it's the gun. I shot maybe 14 case of paint thru it and still no chop (Freak barrel- .691 insert)!! :shooting:. As for taking apart, cleaning, and putting back together...geez it can't get any easier! Just unscrew the back, pull out, clean, lube, put back, and presto changeo...shes ready to rock and roll. I think cleaning a Shocker is easier than cleaning a Mag. The electronics are pretty easy as well. I just ordered a 90 degree frame from LOGIC for my Shocker (It's a small project that I'm working on). All I can tell you is that I'm NOT the brightest apple in the tree, but if can totally strip and put back together this marker, then I'm pretty sure you can do it as well. The only con's about this gun is that it fires so fast that you end up shooting way more than usual. I bought both my Shockers from the same dealer. I suggest you don't adjust anything on the gun at first. Fire it to break in the marker then adjust later. Adjusting it is super easy as well. You may spend a lot for this but with it's size,weight, speed, and easy internals...it's well worth the money. Here are some pictures of my 2 new babies
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/acedilla777/DSC01009.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/acedilla777/DSC00990.jpg
Yes the feel of Shocker is almost similar to a Mag. I'm going to get a frame similar to the above Mag. Also looks pretty cool when my team goes out and we have almost similar guns (mainly the 2 front men). But I still love my Mags!!

minimag03
06-29-2005, 10:29 PM

What he said :cool: .

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
But the Freestyle is fugly, at least some mags look good............

minimag03
06-29-2005, 10:36 PM
He didn't mention looks in this or the other thread he made about choosing a new marker. I actually think the newer ones look pretty good.

Enemy
06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
i got a shocker used and so far im ready to get rid of it and move up to a proto or dm! the trigger gaurd on the shockers is too small.. the vert maxflos suck. the metal is cheap. i bought an he bolt before i had the gun and it gets alot off of a fill. it loves its lube. the trigger binds. they dont send any orings for the vertmaxflo in the shocker rebuild kits despite thats the stock reg! did i mention the stock trigger binds! other than that they are ok but the matrix is a better marker with a better trigger and virtually the same design!