PDA

View Full Version : Who runs paintball?

Raven001
06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
On the whole probably a stupid question but that's me :D

Who runs paintball today? What I mean is this. Has paintball evolved to where the league(s) are run by paintball enthusiasts or are they still run by promoters who are industry types and use the league(s) to promote their product(s)?

MonsterMag
06-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Players run paintball

shartley
06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
"Who runs Paintball?"

"Master Blaster runs Paintball."

"Louder."

"MASTER BLASTER RUNS PAINTBALL!"

"Embargo off."

(oops, wrong Movie) :wow:

Teamslayer76
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I could say. Its like this 30% Players 69% Compaines/Corpartions cough cough k2 NPS...
And finally 1% Government.

In my area we can't play paintball. It's against "county policies and regulations". I must travel out of my way to play at a real field. I must say that also doesnt happen to often with the blazin fees.

overkill8000
06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
in a lot of the guys heads themselves and thats half the problem in paintball today...........

Raven001
06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Players run paintball

So paintball players get together and elect or appoint the league commissions, vote on the rules, decide what equipment is legal and what is not?

Must be heaven :dance: or is it Bartertown :confused:

FreakBaller12
06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
So paintball players get together and elect or appoint the league commissions, vote on the rules, decide what equipment is legal and what is not?

Must be heaven :dance:
well it's the league owners and board you could call it that decide on the rules. Yes at first the rules where made up by the players, then leagues were formed around 1992? I think and everything started to turn into a real sport. That's where I think paintball became a sport.In fact there is a small article type deal in this month's pb2x on page 18.

But anyway, the board creates the rules and between the 3or 4 leagues NPPL, PSP, Xball, and the millenium series there is an understanding of rules that is played on all the rec fields. There are other minute rules such as 1 sticker per gun 3X4 and no pink or orange guns, etc. that makes the leagues different from each other. Afterall paintball branched off from 1 idea, 1 game, 1 league into what it is today.

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 02:34 PM
National PB Supply runs paintball.

Disclaimer: not a bash or a flame, if you can find one, you're making it up.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Chance_K_J/SPA/minibanner2.gif

Tyger
06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
There is no "centralized" body that runs paintball. There are several groups that run events, but no one governing body.

I'm all for a player's union, tho.

-Tyger

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, what Tyger said. I was just being sarcastic because NPBS owns a lot of stuff, like Empire, 32Degrees, PsychoBallistix, 800paintball.com, 888paintball.com..............(the list goes on).

Vex
06-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, what Tyger said. I was just being sarcastic because NPBS owns a lot of stuff, like Empire, 32Degrees, PsychoBallistix, 800paintball.com, 888paintball.com..............(the list goes on).
Then you can be sure that Brass Eagle (K2) is the V.P. of Paintball and Smart Parts is Guido the Hitman.

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Then you can be sure that Brass Eagle (K2) is the V.P. of Paintball and Smart Parts is Guido the Hitman.
They don't own quite as much, but yeah. :)
K2= Brass Eagle, JT, VL, and WGP.
And SP only owns SP, they were just idiots who went sue crazy. :tard:

rx2
06-29-2005, 07:02 PM
The Illuminati, or maybe the Rothschilds, or possibly the vatican...

SpecialBlend2786
06-29-2005, 08:40 PM

LOL

Head knight of Ni
06-29-2005, 09:17 PM
The local Bars. :cheers:

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Bob Smith, his address is 1234 Main street, Anytown USA, 567890. :p

dj89
06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Players run paintball

QFT

MadPSIence
06-29-2005, 10:46 PM
corporate ******** own paintball. enough said. players don't own anything but empty wallets and false pride about their disposeable gun that they'll replace next year for no reason other than some agg trend of doing so.

WARPED1
06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
corporate ******** own paintball. enough said. players don't own anything but empty wallets and false pride about their disposeable gun that they'll replace next year for no reason other than some agg trend of doing so.
You know, ever since mid 20th century everything you buy just about was made with "planned obselecense", so get over it.:)

MadPSIence
06-29-2005, 10:53 PM
I've owned a lot of guns friend and you're about half right.. but we're talking about paintball. And not everything in paintball is disposeable garbage. Everything from AGD, Tippmann, AKA and CCI or older cockers have pretty much been solid and keepers.

Crap like Dye DM#'s, Ions, Timmy's... all lightning fast short-term disposeable crap.

dj89
06-29-2005, 11:00 PM
I've owned a lot of guns friend and you're about half right.. but we're talking about paintball. And not everything in paintball is disposeable garbage. Everything from AGD, Tippmann, AKA and CCI or older cockers have pretty much been solid and keepers.

Crap like Dye DM#'s, Ions, Timmy's... all lightning fast short-term disposeable crap.

Also QFT

If we did not buy paintball stuff how would there be a paintball, think walmart.

frontrunner
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
we the players run the sport, they make what we buy and design new stuff for the popular forms of play there are not only companys going after airball hype there are the ones going after big game and woods players too

simply put if every one wanted to play pump the would be alot more poeple makeing stuff and promoting pump play

billmi
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
On the whole probably a stupid question but that's me :D

Who runs paintball today? What I mean is this. Has paintball evolved to where the league(s) are run by paintball enthusiasts or are they still run by promoters who are industry types and use the league(s) to promote their product(s)?

No one runs paintball. People can play paintball how they like, so long as it is within the bounds of the law.

Different people run different tournament series.

NXL is run by privately owned company. Some of their operations (site setup, et.) are I belive contracted to Paintball Sports Promotions. The league has a commissioner who manages things. Rules for the NXL are changed with a 2/3 majority vote of the franchies (team) owners.

PSP is run by Paintball Sports Promotions, a company owned by a number of people who also own well known paintball companies (Richmond Italia, the Gardners, Dave "Youngblood" Rennick Miller, Jerry Braun, Gino Postorivo, etc.) The original owners (more have bought in since) were people who had been producing tournaments under the NPPL name. Rules are written by Robert Rose (hired by PSP) and Chris Raehl (hired by PSP.) Players/Teams only true "vote" in the rules is that they choose to play in the events or not. Like any business, they want to cater to their customers, so they listen seriously to proposals of rule changes.

NPPL is owned by its president Chuck Hendsch. NPPL tournaments are produced by Pure Promotions (which is owned by the same parent company as WDP.) The NPPL has a rules committee that decided on the rules. Some of its members were elected during captain's meetings, and at least one was appointed by Hendsch. Players/Teams only true "vote" in the rules is that they choose to play in the events or not. Like any business, they want to cater to their customers, so they listen seriously to proposals of rule changes.

Raven001
06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Different people run different tournament series.

Thank you. One of only three replies that said anything and the closest to what I was looking for.

I knew about Richmond and Ratko, their relationship to each other and the NXL. Was wondering if the other leagues were in the same boat. Interesting list of suspects for PSP.

Does NXL allow any brand of paint to be used or just one brand only?

overkill8000
06-30-2005, 12:41 PM

yeah i know him hes lives next door im at

Dustin Weaver, my address is 1235 Main street, Anytown USA, 567890

I'll tell him u said hi.......

overkill8000
06-30-2005, 12:48 PM

yeah i know him hes lives next door im at

Dustin Weaver, my address is 1235 Main street, Anytown USA, 567890

I'll tell him u said hi.......

billmi
06-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Does NXL allow any brand of paint to be used or just one brand only?

The NXL does not restrict paint brands, but most of the teams are shooting various ProCaps products, just by virtue of who the team owners are. There's some PMI paint on their fields too.

PSP does not restrict brand of paint.

NPPL only allows paint bought at the tournament from NPPL paint sponsors (which is kind of ironic considering one of the reasons cited in the founding of the original NPPL was that tournament players should be allowed to bring their own paint.)

Re: Suspects.

I've had the opportunity to see the "inside" and "behind the scenes" operation of NXL, PSP, and NPPL. The year after they split I did scheduling for both PSP and NPPL, and was doing game announcing for the NXL. While it may be fun to postulate that the Ghettys, the Rothchilds, the Vatican and Colonel Sanders are all meeting secretly at a location known only as “The Meadows” and conspiring to advance or deny certain product lines via tournaments, I just don’t see it. NPPL staff is welcome on site at PSP tournaments, and does business there, WDP is usually represented at PSP trade shows, and a number of companies owned by PSP owners sponsor NPPL events. Not every one does, but there’s not some secret manipulation going on where a team can’t win if they don’t shoot the right brand of paint gun. In the NPPL's first season the top team was Dynasty. In the NPPL, Inc.’s first season Dynasty was the top team. They shot the promoter’s gun (Angel) and the league owner was their captain (Hendsch.) Now they shoot Smart Parts’ guns (mfg owned by PSP owners) and Hendsch is not on the team, and they’re still the top NPPL team – and they still shoot a non-mainstream paint (Great American.)

Raven001
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
to bring their own paint.)While it may be fun to postulate that the Ghettys, the Rothchilds, the Vatican and Colonel Sanders are all meeting secretly at a location known only as “The Meadows” and conspiring to advance or deny certain product lines via tournaments, I just don’t see it.

Noted somebody’s ref to the Illuminati as well. It wasn't what I was asking or implying with my query. Last time I played, NPPL was the major league and it was having problems with some sponsors who didn't like some of the board members.... just catching up....