PDA

View Full Version : Delrin vs. Stainless Steel bolts

Flash
11-30-2001, 08:23 AM
I'm getting a Delrin bolt for my minimag and I'm wondering, is the delrin bolt stronger than the stock SS Bolt. I've also heard that the RT bolt has a HIGHER tolerance level than the stock bolt, is this true. I need to know this because I have a Boo-yaah Elcd frame and I need a bolt with higher tolerance so it doesn't chip. Thanks:)

MagNumPI
11-30-2001, 08:30 AM
well ask yourself this, is plastic harder then steel..

And Stainless is alot harder then normal steel..

The Derlin bolt will last long , but not longer then the stock bolt. With derlin you will ger smoother bolt travel and much more eficientcy(sp?).

Derlin is a good choice on any markey, i think.

Just wondering, will the derlin bolt have a SS rim to catch the sear?

wyn1370
11-30-2001, 08:47 AM
if you look at a picture of the derlin bolt it has a derlin sleve that goes over the main bolt section. The rim looks the same as the stock bolt. here's the first picture I found.
http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12948&highlight=super+bolt

Gunga
11-30-2001, 10:01 AM
Uhmm...no, the delrin sleeve is softer than steel. And use a plastic nubbin with the superbolt. It seems to me that the bolts of the extended nose variety (like the superbolt) go through the metal nubbins pretty quickly. And when you bust a metal nubbin when you're using a superbolt...well, check out my superbolt at: http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17704

Xzion
11-30-2001, 11:53 AM
The Derlin Super Bolts have a stainless steel 'frame' that a derlin sleeve fits securely over, with reduced volume of steel, and the super light derlin sleeve composing most of the bolt itself reduces the weight significantly (super bolt weight: 1.2 oz Steel Long Nose bolt weight: 2.1 oz)

Keep in mind, the derlin sleeve on the Super bolt is whats called a 'wear part' meaning its intended to wear with use and be replaced at certian intervals. Ive heard it should last for about a year before needing replacing.

MAGalomania
12-01-2001, 08:58 AM
I dont know if this happens often but the bolt on my shocker had to be replaced with their ss one because the delrin bolt expanded and was shooting slower. I have heard that replacing the bolt on mags isnt a good idea and they select their bolts well to fit the gun.

BlackVCG
12-01-2001, 11:34 AM
Yes, well there are certain type of delrin that will expand when they get oil on them. This bolt is made by AGD and has their tolerance level. The delrin is the highest quality and impervious to oil.

PyRo
12-01-2001, 03:28 PM
The part of the bolt that catches the sear is still made of SS, not derlin. Only the foward section is derlin. As for RT bolts being differant than regular ones, I don't think so.