PDA

View Full Version : What is THE best hose material?

Puddleglum
11-30-2001, 09:30 AM
Is Macroline the best?? Why?

Is Microline the best?? Why?

Is SS Line the best?? Why?

What are the best features of the above and what has the highest flow rate, ease of installation, etc.

markhauguel
11-30-2001, 10:06 AM
I am new to trusting macroline but now I do. Microline is only for things that will never get much above 800-900 psi. so not for tank to gun unless it is a low pressure reg or variable on tank. Stainless is rated to around 5000 psi and will probably never fail. Macroline works so easy and with the swiveling connectors alignment is a joy. There is thicker and thinner wall macroline though. Which is best depends on what best means. Stainless will last forever but it will forever be the same length and given that guns change with different setups new hoses have to be purchased. I have been using macroline lately. I like it but I have heard of the ends failing to stay in if the hose gets chewed up a little bit from putting together and taking apart too many times. I don't use microline on my mag though. There aren't many hoses (only one) so it is not a problem. I hope this helps, good luck.

Shaft
11-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Avoid Microline. It's too constrictive. That's what Tom Kaye told me and that's what I'll tell you.

I like braided line.

Muzikman
11-30-2001, 01:11 PM
MicroLine - The fittings have no preassure rating there for unsafe. The line is also to small so as Shaft pointed out, it's constrictive.

MacroLine - The fittings also have no pressure rating there for unsafe. The lines are about the same ID as steel braid, so air flow is not a problem.

Stainless Steel Braid - The safest, good air flow, and least amount of leaks.

I never use anything but Steel braid or hardlines. Any plastic tubing, no matter what the plastic is rated at is only pushed into the elbows, there for they can and will blow off.

davej946
11-30-2001, 01:17 PM
Only SS Braided Hose for me. The local shop threw in some microline for me to use. I don't like it. I have each of the common lengths of SS Braided hose on hand...just in case I need to change my setup in a hurry.

Thordic
11-30-2001, 02:26 PM
I happen to like Macroline for ease of use even though SS is more reliable in the long run.

Macroline ends wear out over time, so first off, you have to cut the hose with some slack in it so you can trim it once or twice before its so short you need to replace it. This isn't very often, but once every few months, maybe more, depends on how often you take the gun apart it seems.

I havn't had any problem with hoses popping loose or exploding or any of that nonsense, though. The black parker line is pretty good. The colored ones have no UV rating, and are more prone to damage in the sun, I believe.

Macroline is pretty cheap, easy to work with, looks nice, and won't scratch anything up.

Microline is poo poo.

SS is the best, but I just got sick of busting out wrenches every time I wanted to do something.

dawump
11-30-2001, 05:29 PM
I've been using Microline and it's OK. Recently it has started to leak a bit, but I just yanked it out and cut off a little bit and stuck it back in again and it's fine.

Interested to hear that it can be restrictive though. I might try SS tomorrow.

Keith

Smoken
11-30-2001, 07:55 PM
Steel braided hose is the best. It's the strongest and most reliable. If you don't like the look of it, there's a cool trick that you can do. Get some shrink tubing (I forget what size), slide it over the hose, and heat it to shrink it to fit. It looks pretty cool when its done, and its not something everyone else has. It's a cheap customization too. And now it won't scratch anything either.

MAGalomania
12-01-2001, 08:49 AM
I havent heard much about hoses. I have a friend who had their macroline blow up twice on them, but it was cheap macroline. I think macroline looks better cosmetically but of course ss is the most reliable and the most consistent. If you want high volume macroline then get the smart parts macro...the stuff is huge.

Restola
12-01-2001, 11:29 AM
i use macro. and i may just be stupid, but what is the actual danger of a hose failing? a loud hissing for a minute until you can turn off the on/off? have people gotten injured from a plastic hose popping?

HyperSnyper
12-01-2001, 01:15 PM
Simply and always...

SS Braided. They WILL last forever and WILL never bust. Its just another thing that you can out to rest once its on your gun since it will never fail.

My friend had macro, but it failed on him. The "claws" that hold the macroline in place broke off, and sent the hose flying with gasses spewing. This may be a rare occasion, but still, having macroline will still embed the thought "...man... I wonder whenthis thing is gonna go out on me..." everytime you play.

SS line cost 15 bux. 1 ft macro + 2 macro fittings = 15 bux. Same price, except one will NEVER have to be replaced. Just my $0.02.

-Hyper

PyRo
12-01-2001, 03:16 PM
Ss is the best. It will just about never break on you, can take higher pressures, and lasts longer.
Macroline is the 2nd best, you just have to make sure to get good stuff, not the cheaper stuff. A little more prone to break then ss, with a little less flow, but it is sufficiant.
Microline is too thin, and can cause shootdown from lack of flow. It is more prone to break that macro and SS.