PDA

View Full Version : Best input pressure for RT valve?

BradPalooza
11-30-2001, 11:11 AM
Before you start giving me the "It's up to you" or "650-850psi" story, let me explain.

At the SuperTour, Tom showed us using a computer with some sensors that on the RT valve the pressure in the air chamber actually increases during rapid fire. According to Tom, the pressure increase is due to friction (air moving through the valve at very high speeds). Also, according to Tom, it could have the effect of causing you to shoot hot during rapid fire.

So, if you reduce the input pressure, that should reduce the friction in the valve, which should also minimize the the amount of pressure creep. Since you're gun is limited to 16 balls per second you don't need to be able to recharge the valve at a rate that would keep up with 26 balls per second.

So, my question (Tom), what is the optimal input pressure that will allow us to shoot at the maximum allowable rate of fire (16bps) and will provide the most consistant velocity by minimizing pressure creep?

BradPalooza
12-01-2001, 10:57 PM
I'm going to keep this one floating on the first page at least until they get back from Flordia.

Xzion
12-02-2001, 01:31 AM
I keep mine at 800 PSI going into the valve, but, to compinsate for the raising pressure with the heated air during recharge, I dry fire a good string of shots to get that air heated up nicely, and theoretically the pressure in the valve to go up some, then chrony the gun. Seems to work, though ive never really went out and tested it to see if its even worth talking about. With that said, you can take it as you will, 800 PSI is where my vote is casted :D

Hexis
12-02-2001, 10:28 AM
That's actually the reason I keep mine low. I would love the trigger to be more reactive, but then every 1st shot in a string is slow. And shooting single shots is worthless.

BradPalooza
12-02-2001, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I typically chrono on at 280 but we all know that most people want to be as close to 300 as they can. While filming at the World Cup I noticed alot of refs chrono'ing players WHILE they were playing with those little yellow handheld chronos. If they did that to a back player using an RT valve based gun, that could spell trouble.

Xzion, just out of curiosity, what do you chrono on at and have you ever let your valve cool down and chrono'ed again?

Hexis
12-02-2001, 01:31 PM
Well, you can simulate rapid fire by snapping the trigger. In fact it's the only way to accuratly chrono any RT or ReTro valve based mag.

Xzion
12-02-2001, 02:26 PM
BradPalooza; I usually chrono in at around 280FPS gives a little room for FPS variations just incase. I tend to use one of the big red chronys (not sure of the name :D). And no, ive never taken the time to let it cool and try chronying it, ive been meaning to its one thing thats had me curious, but its all really a matter of time and if I feel like fiddling with it :D