PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments

Apple_Pie
07-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Ok, I need another opinion for me situation. I have three choices

Custom Mech Mag(Id go to Tuna or TheMagSmith for this)
Used EMag(already found someone)
Used Shocker(there being sold all over the place)

Now I play frontman usually and is my favorite position, so all three are compact, but the I dont personally like the feeling of the EMag. Shocker feels ok and I can make a custom mag feel great. Now if I get a custom mag, I will either devil itlater on, or when the pneuframe comes out, get that, or even logic frame it, if it comes out. Id rather not go with a shocker, just because I really want to something with AGD, because personally I think Tom Kayne should be labeled as a god. Currently, I own a really nice mech cocker, I mean, its definately the nicest mech cockers I have ever seen. The problem with that is, I found out Im not a cocker kind of guy and it just doesnt fit me. I recently moved to Wisconsin, so I left me team in Jersey, which gives me a chance to reinvent myself. At the moment, Im leaning towards a custom mag, since especially if I got a pnueframe, saying that my mechanical outdated marker is as fast if not faster then that persons new **** is something to be proud of. I plan on playing tournaments with it, not huge, just like local tournaments.
So I come to you, the AO community for a second(or third, however many respond) opinion.

VFX_Fenix
07-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Sounds to me like you've already decided to run the ULE Custom and just looking for the nod of approval.

Well.... here's your nod, go buy the Mech Mag and may the paintball gods have mercy on your soul.

Honestly with todays tournament environment you may feel outgunned, though laying paint isn't your primary job, you may still find this to be the case. Best advice, get a ULT with your gun and buy a Stock RT On/Off later if you want to try something different. Most people aren't going to know what an Automag is, though you are in the Mid-West... that's like Deep in the heart of Mag country...

Anyway, buy your mag and have fun! Mow muppets and all that :)

Apple_Pie
07-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I realized a lot of people are going to laugh, but I dont want to be like everyone else and go get a timmy or an angel, I want to stand out. Then why not stand out with a mag.

ULT is a definate. 15 oz trigger pull is awsome, and il probably get a Viperblade, so there is set screws, so I dont have tons of trigger slop.

MoneyShot
07-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Mags own all guns, i dont care who you are, and what you say :argh:

JoshK
07-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Welcome to AO and Wisconsin bro. You will be really happy here because we have plenty of fields, and we have the (I believe) second or third largest attendence here on AO.

Go with what you like the most. Personally I would go with the emag, but you seem like you really want the mech, so I would go with that.

-Da Newb

VFX_Fenix
07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I realized a lot of people are going to laugh, but I dont want to be like everyone else and go get a timmy or an angel, I want to stand out. Then why not stand out with a mag.

ULT is a definate. 15 oz trigger pull is awsome, and il probably get a Viperblade, so there is set screws, so I dont have tons of trigger slop.

Didn't mean to imply that people would laugh at you (they don't laugh at me when I roll my Automag... at least not that I know about lol).

Anyway, depending on where you are, different guns are going ot be the flavor of the area. Around here it's DM5 and Timmy country.

Apple_Pie
07-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Timmies and DM5s were the flavor in Jersey.

Whats the Flavor in the BFG area? Personally I live in Mequon. I only live in Jersey for 2 years, and I just love Wisconsin(born here, and yes, I am a cheesehead). I am accually really glad to hear that mags are big in the midwest.

Anyone close to Mequon, contact me. I need to get into WI paintball society.

JoshK
07-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Timmies and DM5s were the flavor in Jersey.

Whats the Flavor in the BFG area? Personally I live in Mequon. I only live in Jersey for 2 years, and I just love Wisconsin(born here, and yes, I am a cheesehead). I am accually really glad to hear that mags are big in the midwest.

Anyone close to Mequon, contact me. I need to get into WI paintball society.

I'm from Waukesha (to the left of milwaukee), and I plan to play at BFG cause it isn't that far away from me. The most popular guns I would have to be spyders, tippmanns, and cockers. I personally have had a 98 custom, two autocockers, a mag, and I am getting an Angel IR3 next. We will have to get together sometime...the AO WI guys are all really nice.

WARPED1
07-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Now, I'm not flaming mags here, but you will be outgunned if you choose the mech mag, if you like mags, the Emag will do well, especially if you get that TAG Predator board!
For high end guns, in my opinion, you should get a Proto.

Apple_Pie
07-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Now, I'm not flaming mags here, but you will be outgunned if you choose the mech mag, if you like mags, the Emag will do well, especially if you get that TAG Predator board!
For high end guns, in my opinion, you should get a Proto.

Thats why I plan on Deviling it, pnueframe, or Logicframe later on. I dont plan on doing tounies anytime soon. I gotta get use to my new envirnment first.

WARPED1
07-03-2005, 12:10 AM
If you are set on a mag, find a used Emag cheap, then add that Predator board. You could even get it drilled for eyes!

Carbon
07-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Think about this before you buy a mech gun to play FRONT.

think of the postion you play and wether you tend to gun battle alot or draw fire. If you are the gunbattler i would choose one of the electronic guns. You are gonna find it easier to out snap with an electronic.

ULT or not you are gonna achieve a faster ROF easier with an electro. Granted if you have and adjustable tank you can bouce your way. But then agian there are issues with that.

Also its not gonna be a matter of you standing out. Your gun is not gonna make you stand out in a tourney, unless ROF/SHooting modes come into play, in which case you will mosst likeley be pulled for a bouncing gun. Choose the best tool for your position.

i say either the emag or the shocker. They should be efficient enough for a front guy.

Apple_Pie
07-03-2005, 12:45 AM
You guys arent hearing me right. Im not going to play tournys for a while. I plan on deviling it, or pnueframe it, which solves speed problems. In the meantime, its just walk-on games at BFGs. The mag can compete there. DevilMag>Emag and shocker IMO. Ive been playing great with my mech cocker. ULT will definately be better than that. Standing out, I mean not following the crowd and getting the most popular electro in the area. Id rather be completely different.
Anyways, I really appreciate your opinions on the matter, but I think Im just going to get Tuna to make me something.

68magOwner
07-03-2005, 01:36 AM
DM's/protos, and timmys are about all you see out here tourney wise, uncommon, yet present markers are- ions, freestyles, occasional angel, my viking (have only seen one other besides the one my teammate had for a while), not much else.

i really do think having a mech gun will hurt you in the torueny scene, potentially a lot depending on what you play

WickeDKlowN
07-03-2005, 02:12 AM
You guys arent hearing me right. Im not going to play tournys for a while.
When you name your thread "Tournaments," It's an easy mistake to make. But you're new, so I'm not going to give you that much of a hard time.

You seem to really want the Mech Mag, so just go for it. Screw what other people say, if you want it, buy it.

Apple_Pie
07-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, what I was really trying to get at is, either I can get a tournament marker now, or buy a rec gun, and upgrade it to a tournament gun later, which would cost me more money, but the marker would feel better to me. Sorry for mis-interpretation.

WickeDKlowN
07-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Just get a decent gun now that suits your playing, and later on, buy a tourny gun and use this as your backup. If resale value keeps droping like it has, you should be able to get damn a nice gun pretty cheap.