PDA

View Full Version : What is a grape?

wanna-b-ballin'
07-11-2005, 07:09 PM
hey, i was just working on a huge essay due tomorrow, and ADD took over, and somehow i got to thinking about grapes.

ok, so grapes grow on vines. pumpkins also grow on vines, and they are a kind of squash.
and a grape is soft and stuff like a fruit. but fruit grows on trees. and a grape sure doesn't seem like a vegetable because it doesn't grow on or in the ground. and a grape doesn't have a hard covering or a rhine like a melon.

can someone tell me what a grape is? i cant concentrate on my essay because i'm all worked up on grapes and i need an answer. wow i feel stupid :(

thanks.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
someone has to know.....

trevorjk
07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
did you know if you take a grape and cut it almost all the way in half, then fold it so the cut surface is face down on a plate with the skin still intact on one side. and then put it into a microwave that the grape will actually spark

wanna-b-ballin'
07-11-2005, 07:34 PM
did you know if you take a grape and cut it almost all the way in half, then fold it so the cut surface is face down on a plate with the skin still intact on one side. and then put it into a microwave that the grape will actually spark

no i did not. are you messin with me? cuz if not, thats pretty cool.

trevorjk
07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
no seriously go try it... i just did it with one of those big green ones on a regular porcelin(sp) plate

just make sure you dont cut all the way through and make sure you have the skin intact on one side of the grape

http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma/

wanna-b-ballin'
07-11-2005, 07:37 PM
holy ****! thats so cool!

i actually tried it :ninja:

EDIT: now my kitchen smells of burning grapes. i only cooked it for 10 seconds and the grape is almost burnt all away. awsome!

now i gotta do it with 100 grapes and see how cool that is.

Jon594
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
It's a fruit.

Target Practice
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
The question is, what isn't a grape?

wanna-b-ballin'
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM
aaaaah. ok. thanks.
i started to have a feeling it was because of they way they are constructed.

logamus
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
no seriously go try it... i just did it with one of those big green ones on a regular porcelin(sp) plate

just make sure you dont cut all the way through and make sure you have the skin intact on one side of the grape

http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma/
could just be the plate

billybob_81067
07-11-2005, 11:07 PM
could just be the plate

My parents have those exact same plates and they do not do that in the microwave... so it must be the grape then!!! :D

Rocp15126
07-11-2005, 11:45 PM
If memory serves me correctly from Bio, one of the ways to define a fruit is that it has seeds. ( Because it's from the flower of the plant.) This is why a tomato is a fruit. (At least classified scientifically.) Sorry I couldn't help more.

stondroopy
07-11-2005, 11:48 PM
when you figure that part out, you can then ponder what separates a wine grape from a regular grape

Warewolf50
07-12-2005, 12:01 AM
when you figure that part out, you can then ponder what separates a wine grape from a regular grape

Arent wine grapes much smaller or someting like that. I think i member hearing that somewhere, but i could be completly wrong.

insanity415
07-12-2005, 01:09 AM
dont wine grapes have a much higher sugar content?

Jakedubbleya
07-12-2005, 02:04 AM
grapes are the greatest thing to ever pop off a vine. (fruit, duh)

wine grapes have a naturally lower sugar content, and are more bitter, which makes a wine richer in flavor, longer lived, and lower in alchohol.

they arent necessarily smaller, but they are grown in such a fashion that keep the grapes smaller and more concentrated in flavor for various reasons that make a better wine.

yay for viticulture, the only thing i know about!

Cameo
07-12-2005, 02:54 AM
grapes are the greatest thing to ever pop off a vine. (fruit, duh)

wine grapes have a naturally lower sugar content, and are more bitter, which makes a wine richer in flavor, longer lived, and lower in alchohol.

they arent necessarily smaller, but they are grown in such a fashion that keep the grapes smaller and more concentrated in flavor for various reasons that make a better wine.

yay for viticulture, the only thing i know about!

I knew those wine classes would do this bartender some good...
The sweetness of the wine depends greatly on how long the grapes are kept on the vine and how the temperature is.. You get the sweeter wines from grapes that are colder and actually frozen (ie. icewines). Each type of wine (merlot, chardonnay, cabrenet, pinot's) each come from a different type of grape with the same name. the color of the wine does not come from the insides of the grape, rather they come from the skins of the grape.
Wines can normaly only be made from fruits (something to do with the sugar content). So looking at grapes from a bartenders point of view I wold say they are definalty a fruit.

~steph
ps:fruit: fleshy, seed-bearing part of a plant used as food...
pps: grapes have been found t help in some types of cancers and heart disease, not from the fruit inside, but the skins contain the the things that help (forgot what they are called. some big long word i can not say nor remember).

TheTramp
07-12-2005, 09:58 AM
If memory serves me correctly from Bio, one of the ways to define a fruit is that it has seeds. ( Because it's from the flower of the plant.) This is why a tomato is a fruit. (At least classified scientifically.) Sorry I couldn't help more.

You are exactly right. A grape is a fruit because it has seeds. A good deal of the foods we consider vegetables are technically fruits. Not that grapes have ever been considered anything other than fruits. :)

TheTramp
07-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Wines can normaly only be made from fruits (something to do with the sugar content).

That is in fact the definition of a wine. An alcoholic beverage made from fruit juice. It just so happens that grape juice makes a particularly nice type of wine.

The level of alcohol can also be part of the definition. Any alcoholic beverage that has an ABV (alcohol by volume) of 12%+ AND HASN'T BEEN DISTILLED IN ANY FASION is frequently also considered a wine (but isn't really unless it's make with fruit juice). One example is Barley Wine which is really just a VERY strong beer. The best way to think of this is the difference between "hard cider" and "apple wine."

Jakedubbleya
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
The sweetness of the wine depends greatly on how long the grapes are kept on the vine and how the temperature is.. You get the sweeter wines from grapes that are colder and actually frozen (ie. icewines).

the higher the sugar content (longer you kept it on the vine/whether you properly cared for the grape to keep it from overgrowing), the thicker the wine will be, either in sugar or alchohol content or both, seeing as fermentation is the direct change of the grapes sugars into alchohol. you want a well balanced wine not an overdone one, especially in whites.

the residual sweetness or sugar content, is discovered only after the second (and final) fermentation, as all the sugars could very well have fermented into alchohol. but yes, chilling is part of the winemaking process that helps keep all the sugars from fermenting.

Eiswine, is a whole different story lol, the grapes are actually pressed, frozen, after the first frost. Great stuff, very strong.

Lohman446
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
The sweetness of the wine depends greatly on how long the grapes are kept on the vine and how the temperature is.. You get the sweeter wines from grapes that are colder and actually frozen (ie. icewines). Each type of wine (merlot, chardonnay, cabrenet, pinot's) each come from a different type of grape with the same name. the color of the wine does not come from the insides of the grape, rather they come from the skins of the grape.
Wines can normaly only be made from fruits (something to do with the sugar content). So looking at grapes from a bartenders point of view I wold say they are definalty a fruit.

~steph
ps:fruit: fleshy, seed-bearing part of a plant used as food...
pps: grapes have been found t help in some types of cancers and heart disease, not from the fruit inside, but the skins contain the the things that help (forgot what they are called. some big long word i can not say nor remember).

Ok... now I want to try an ice wine... any recommendations?

TheTramp
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm not a fan. Too sweet for my tastes.

TheTramp
07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
but yes, chilling is part of the winemaking process that helps keep all the sugars from fermenting.

I think he's talking about the fact that ice wine is made from grapes that have stayed on the vine untill after the first frost. This dramaticly efects the carbohydrates and thus the amount/types of sugers inn the grape itself.

Jakedubbleya
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I think he's talking about the fact that ice wine is made from grapes that have stayed on the vine untill after the first frost. This dramaticly efects the carbohydrates and thus the amount/types of sugers inn the grape itself.

Actually they are taken, and pressed, DURING the first frost before they thaw, meaning the only change, is the concentration of the wine. giving a much higher sugar and acid content, think pre-sun, white, supersweet brandy.

Ever heard of passito? Botrytised wine? They all use odd processes not seen in what would be called a standard white or red wine.

Yes, colder regions are more appropriate for growing fine whites, but that is more to suit the grape/vine, not the wine.

TheTramp
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Actually they are taken, and pressed, DURING the first frost before they thaw, meaning the only change, is the concentration of the wine. giving a much higher sugar and aid content, think pre-sun, white, supersweet brandy.

Ever heard of passito? Botrytised wine? They all use odd processes not seen in what would be called a standard white or red wine.

Yes, colder regions are more appropriate for growing fine whites, but that is more to suit the grape, not the wine.

Like that night or in the morning before it warms up?

I haven't really tried many unusual styles of grape wine because I prefer a very dry glass. Most of the unusual wines tend to be very good in an interesting way (as in I can appreciate the quality/craftsmanship) but not something I'd choose. I love trying different things but if I’m going to have a glass I want it to be something I like. :D

Jakedubbleya
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Like that night or in the morning before it warms up?

I haven't really tried many unusual styles of grape wine because I prefer a very dry glass. Most of the unusual wines tend to be very good in an interesting way (as in I can appreciate the quality/craftsmanship) but not something I'd choose. I love trying different things but if I’m going to have a glass I want it to be something I like. :D

before 10 AM is the usual ritual deadline, so before they warm up:) If artificially frozen, it isnt Eiswine.

Try some italian red passito (quasi-raisin wine), avoid the over-sweet varietals that come from the white grapes, although there are exceptions, you need to be very lucky to hit one (avoid muscat if you are determined to try a white). The dryer reds you would be looking for are called Amarone.

I agree, fortified/odd grape wine isnt my thing, but a few glasses of Madeira is something not to be missed.

And of course, brandy. Nothing will heat your bones with as much style as brandy:).

ntn4502
07-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Vineyard Manager, and resident wino Here!

I dont have time right now, but aim me any questions ya got

tropical_fishy
07-12-2005, 07:23 PM
original question==> fruit bears the seed of the plant. It's a ripened plant ovary (yay for fun images) It's a fertilized egg. It doesn't matter what the fruit comes off of, just that it's fertilized and has seeds.

Jakedubbleya
07-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Vineyard Manager, and resident wino Here!

I dont have time right now, but aim me any questions ya got

my hero.

kosmo
07-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Woah, man, one time I drank a gallon of boxed wine. Whew... what a night I can barely remember. Got in a whole heapload of trouble for that. Ah, good times were had by all. :cheers:

Ok so does the grape have to be on a plate or can you just stick it to the microwave? And if you can just stick it to the microwave, can you cover the whole inside of a microwave in split grapes? Im thinking about covering the whole inside of the microwave with grapes and throwing some cd's in there with them and taking a picture. :headbang:

Cameo
07-13-2005, 12:41 AM
What do you think of the infused wines?? Quite a few have come out of Austrialia that are Cab/shiraz type mixes. Seems to be the new trend in wines now that the whole cheap ArborMist types have gone down...
Lonham, we will make a trip to the state store and get you some Eice wine while you are here, there are ummm like 5 within a 5 mile radious..
Otherwise I have a Bottle or White Resiling, Thirsty Lizard white shiraz, I think a few Arbor mist flavors, and a bottle of JedSteele Cab at my house that really needs drank. :cheers:

Jakedubbleya
07-13-2005, 03:08 AM
What do you think of the infused wines?? Quite a few have come out of Austrialia that are Cab/shiraz type mixes. Seems to be the new trend in wines now that the whole cheap ArborMist types have gone down...
Lonham, we will make a trip to the state store and get you some Eice wine while you are here, there are ummm like 5 within a 5 mile radious..
Otherwise I have a Bottle or White Resiling, Thirsty Lizard white shiraz, I think a few Arbor mist flavors, and a bottle of JedSteele Cab at my house that really needs drank. :cheers:

a drinkable eiswine will probably cost you more that youd be willing to pay for it. and you might have a hard time finding one. if ur gunna do eiswine, do it right ;)

ntn4502
07-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Yea no kidding, our Vinogles(SP), our coming in nice this year that we plan on doing our eiswine with. The cost will be somewhere in the mid/upper twenties, and if you ever saw the bottles they serve it in...their tiny

oh yea, and it will sell

Alley
07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Gee NTN you should throw in a good bottle of wine to the winners as well.... :)

Lohman446
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Yea no kidding, our Vinogles(SP), our coming in nice this year that we plan on doing our eiswine with. The cost will be somewhere in the mid/upper twenties, and if you ever saw the bottles they serve it in...their tiny

oh yea, and it will sell

Let me know and ship me some :)

Lohman446
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM

:D I generally hate wines... but love sugar, so am all for trying something new.. especially with someone who has a clue. :( My teammates are annoyed with me for ordering "fufu" drinks when we go out, if you don't drink beer with them they harass you :cry: my ego.. my poor poor ego

TheTramp
07-13-2005, 10:04 AM
What do you think of the infused wines?? Quite a few have come out of Austrialia that are Cab/shiraz type mixes.

Do you mean "infused" or "blends?" I really like some of the blends but I can't say I've had wine that's had something soaking in it before. Vodka on the other hand.... :)

ntn4502
07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Gee NTN you should throw in a good bottle of wine to the winners as well.... :)

I dont want to win my own product :rolleyes:

Cameo
07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Being that I live in Pa getting eise wines isn't to terribly hard.. the Niagra area isn't to far away as well as the lake Erie area... I know that last time relatives went to Niagra area a bottle cost around 150.. You can however get some less expensive ones at the state store for around 35-45 for a half bottle.. The stuff isn't to shabby..

Alley
07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
I dont want to win my own product :rolleyes:

Ha ha, You know what I didtn even see that coming. Perhaps, you are right. That was good. :clap:

Alley
07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Being that I live in Pa getting eise wines isn't to terribly hard.. the Niagra area isn't to far away as well as the lake Erie area... I know that last time relatives went to Niagra area a bottle cost around 150.. You can however get some less expensive ones at the state store for around 35-45 for a half bottle.. The stuff isn't to shabby..

I assume that paying that much for wine would only be good for someone who actually LIKES wine no?

Cameo
07-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I assume that paying that much for wine would only be good for someone who actually LIKES wine no?
alley girl trust me, if you try this wine you will like it.. I am very picky when it comes to wines.. I am not really big on full bodied wines. I think my taste buds are to simple for those types of things.. But I love the cheap new age wines as well as some of the sweeter wines like the White Shiraz, White Reislings, and Eise Wines..
we can get a bottle to celebrate Jason's birthday and as a present he can deal with his favorite 2 drunk chicks... lmao.. jk.

Muzikman
07-13-2005, 10:16 PM

oh yea, and it will sell

Nelson, you bringing me a bottle this year? You skipped last year!

ntn4502
07-13-2005, 11:15 PM
we'll see what I can grab

Lohman446
07-14-2005, 09:18 AM
35-45 for half a bottle (a few good drinks, enough for an evening) is not bad at all...

Hajari13
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
this is past the point, but a fruit is defined as the protective coat of the seeds, which are the "sperm" of the plant :D. fruits can be controlled in size by being sprayed with plant hormones, in particular gibberellins. yea.

TheTramp
07-14-2005, 02:06 PM
seeds aren't sperm. They are the fertalized zygote (or whatever they call it). Sperm (or pollen in plants) is just one of the gamates. :D

ntn4502
07-14-2005, 04:41 PM
errrrrr.....anybody want to trade jobs?

Alley
07-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I work in a bank.... and get to on a daily basis touch atleast 40,000 to 50,000 dollars a day. Sometimes more. Yet, I keep none. Its total irony. You can have my job!

Cameo
07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
errrrrr.....anybody want to trade jobs?

I get paid to flirt..err.. talk with people. Every so often I have to pour a draft ber or mix a martini.. I thin I will keep my job, I kinda fancy and and have been putting of getting a "real job" because I like it so much.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
wow, i never thought my thread would turn into a wine fest. lol. oh well. keep talking, dont mind me.

ntn4502
07-14-2005, 08:13 PM
90 degrees, 80% humity... not a fun day in the vineyard

Jakedubbleya
07-15-2005, 02:37 AM
90 degrees, 80% humity... not a fun day in the vineyard

110+ degrees, no humidity, not a fun day to be splicing belts in the desert.

at least you get to market it later on as a quasi work of art... :( im so jelous

p.s. i left u another pm bro