PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Points Twist?

SlartyBartFast
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Should shooting skill/accuracy be included somehow in tournament points?

What I was thinking is have the ratio of shots per elimination count towards a part of the score each game. The lower the ratio the higher the score.

It could work with or without a limited paint format. All you need to do is count the number of paintballs that go onto the field and how many come off.

Jeffy-CanCon
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
It's an interesting idea, and I personally like it, but there are two disincentives. It complicates the scoring, and takes time, which the people running the tourney will not like. Also, it would be against the interests of the manufacturers who still dominate all aspects of paintball.

SlartyBartFast
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Also, it would be against the interests of the manufacturers who still dominate all aspects of paintball.

Too true.

Personally, I would prefer to participate in a limited paint format tournament.

You know your cost going in and it puts some pressure on to increase skill and strategy.

But, paint sales are viewed as one of the many cash cows by tournament organisers. :mad:

IMO, tournamnet income should be determined from one source only. Not have players hit in the pocket book for each and every item the tournament can charge for...

player4
07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Interesting idea, but it's not going to happen.

AcemanPB
07-13-2005, 04:10 PM
No, an elimination is an elimination I don't care how many paintballs it took you to get it.

WARPED1
07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
All you need to do is count the number of paintballs that go onto the field and how many come off.
What about all those dropped balls from pain sponsored teams? :eek:

SlartyBartFast
07-14-2005, 07:37 AM
What about all those dropped balls from pain sponsored teams? :eek:

Well, as I said in the PBN thread. I wouldn't care how the paint was used.

If dropping paint all over the place hurt you, maybe the skill of being able to fill a hopper without wasting half a pod would count for something.

Got to say you don't get blasted for trying to "ruin" the sport of paintball quite as much on AO as you do on PBN. :p

Jeffy-CanCon
07-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I like the idea of every skill counting for something, points-wise. And balls-per-elimination, especially in a limited paint format, is workable. It's not attractive to organizers, mainly because of the time it would take, and the increased likelihood that staff will screw up the scores. But it IS workable.

Innovation is a lot like the whole "there are no stupid questions" thing. It's good to hear new ideas (clearly) presented. If people hold off on their suggestions for fear of ridicule, there will never be any progress.

Lohman446
07-14-2005, 03:33 PM
I would love to see highly limited paint tournaments. I have played a game where I shared paint with another three man team - I was playing on a different team then they were. Over the course of prelims and finals we used a total of 3/4 of a case of paint... there team came in second

ThePixelGuru
07-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Seems kind of interesting... but it will never happen. Fields selling $90/case paint is proof enough of that.