PDA

View Full Version : Just Got A New Mountain Bike!!!!!

Soopa Villain17
07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
well today i wnet out to Maine Sport , a really nice sporting good store and bout a bike . its a trek 4500 , its real nice i has alot fo shimano and bontrager components.im pretty new to owning a mountain bike , i use to ride bmx , and still have 1000's of dollars worth of bmx stuff, who else heres rides ? well i will have pics of it tommorro i hope , i mainly bought it for transportation because gas now is 2.40 and rising , thanks for all POSITIVE comments and stuff , thanks :clap:

wanna-b-ballin'
07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
i'm getting a new mountain bike this saturday. its about time, i've had my present one for 5 years now. its a little small, beat up, and the brake pads are worn down. good times have been had with it though; a couple of large spills, plenty of milage, and always handled jumps well. yeah, i jump a mountainbike; nothing big, but i do it.

Jaan
07-14-2005, 11:43 PM
So you took my advice huh (c:

Yeah, I picked up a 4300 in pimp lava black a couple of years ago and upgraded it a bit. Great bikes. If you're going to ride it to work and back, get a set of slick tires for the pavement and some fenders to keep the skunk stripe off your back and crud out of the working parts. Slick tires are still good even in the rain. Studded tires are the best for the winter.

There is a great book called Barnett's Manual that tells you pretty much everything about fixing bikes. I have it in .PDF format, just IM me and I'll send it to you.

i'm getting a new mountain bike this saturday. its about time, i've had my present one for 5 years now. its a little small, beat up, and the brake pads are worn down.Rain Bike! Throw some slick tires on it, full coverage fenders, and if you have the mounts a rack on the back and you have a good all around bike for the road.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Rain Bike! Throw some slick tires on it, full coverage fenders, and if you have the mounts a rack on the back and you have a good all around bike for the road.

you like riding in the rain dont you?

Jaan
07-15-2005, 12:22 AM
you like riding in the rain dont you?LOL I just like riding, a little rain (or snow) doesn't stop me. I work in the city and I keep a bike up there to ride around ... once I find a parking space I don't move for days while I work, so basically I ride in all weather short of a downpour or blizzard.

Soopa Villain17
07-15-2005, 06:05 AM
lol, i was gunna get some maxis hookworms , there more like street bmx tires so i figured there good , well this set me back 440 on the credit card , so its gunna be a week or 2 until i get extra money for tires , thanks for the comments guys :D

Jaan
07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
lol, i was gunna get some maxis hookworms , there more like street bmx tires so i figured there good , well this set me back 440 on the credit card , so its gunna be a week or 2 until i get extra money for tires , thanks for the comments guys :D
www.nashbar.com

They always have some good deals there. The thing with street tires is that all tread does is hold little peices of glass in place while they work their way in and put a hole in your tube lol. The hookworms are still nice though. I just looked at Nashbar and they had several nice streetable tires for just $10 each. If you order don't forget to get yourself a seat bag with an emergency kit. And lights, a good front and back light so you don't get killed. I love LED lights myself.

Soopa Villain17
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
thanks ill be sure to take a look , well today i rode about 10 miles and wow what a ride , me being fat and it being 90 degrees out i bet i lost bout 5 pounds , the seat really sucks , i want to get a bmx seat but i dont no what size the rails are , thanks for the help :)

Carbon Blue
07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
congrats on the purchase! i cant wait to get mine! Try looking at www.bluecollarmtb.com theyve got some good reviews on some regular equipment to full out mtb reviews. :headbang:

wanna-b-ballin'
07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
LOL I just like riding, a little rain (or snow) doesn't stop me. I work in the city and I keep a bike up there to ride around ... once I find a parking space I don't move for days while I work, so basically I ride in all weather short of a downpour or blizzard.

you lost me somewhere. you keep a bike in the city, but take up a parking space with the bike and live there for a few days working?? i know i must be wrong. what do you do for work?

Jaan
07-15-2005, 10:13 PM
you lost me somewhere. you keep a bike in the city, but take up a parking space with the bike and live there for a few days working?? i know i must be wrong. what do you do for work?Sorry ... I have a house in Mass (with all my paintball crap in it lol) but I work in Boston and I keep a small apartment up there. I was getting sick of driving 2-3 hours every day. My boss is cool, the apartment is part of my salery and now my commute takes 2 minutes. I do custom work for film and video, mostly powering systems and such. If you want to take an Imax camera up to Mt Everest you call us to power the camera and expedition (c:

So basically I drive up there, park, work my butt off for 3 or 4 days and if I have to go anywhere I just take the bike. Then I have 3 or 4 days to myself. It works out well.

The bike I use up there is a 10 speed (classic 10 speed, not the new 10 speed) Peugeot steel framed touring bike from the 70's. I rescued the bike from someones backyard and fixed it up with extra parts. The whole thing cost me zero dollars, but she rides well and the best part is that she looks ratty enough for it not to get stolen. Those old Peugeot's are awesome bikes too and can be had in great condition for a song.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-17-2005, 01:06 AM
i just picked out my new mountain bike today. they have to special order it because they dont carry the one in the size i want.
its a specialized hardrock comp disk
with the red and black flames
and i'm having them install tube liners and a stay protector

its nice and comfy and will do what i need it to do.

Carbon Blue
07-17-2005, 01:50 AM
just wondering how much did you purchase your specialized for?