PDA

View Full Version : Heat shrink tubing??

CKY_Alliance
07-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Ok so sunday i was on a quest for heat shrink tubing and seeing how radio shack,lowes,and autozone all had it but none over 5 inches i wasnt very succesful so seems as if ill have to go to a electrical shop now my question is...in all the pics ive seen of the tubing on guns it looks like a more rubber material but all of the stuff i saw sunday was like malable plastic is it all the same texture/material or do they make a more rubbery type?

Paintchucker
07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok so sunday i was on a quest for heat shrink tubing and seeing how radio shack,lowes,and autozone all had it but none over 5 inches i wasnt very succesful so seems as if ill have to go to a electrical shop now my question is...in all the pics ive seen of the tubing on guns it looks like a more rubber material but all of the stuff i saw sunday was like malable plastic is it all the same texture/material or do they make a more rubbery type?

what is your application for this? cover the stainless hoses? you can overlap pieces of the heat shrink tubing and it has very little seam. I bought some stuff for cable mgt.(phone wires, etc) at radio shack. It does pretty good, and pulls right off should you so desire... Costs about $5 for 3' ... I did my gun and a couple others.

CKY_Alliance
07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
what is your application for this? cover the stainless hoses? you can overlap pieces of the heat shrink tubing and it has very little seam. I bought some stuff for cable mgt.(phone wires, etc) at radio shack. It does pretty good, and pulls right off should you so desire... Costs about $5 for 3' ... I did my gun and a couple others.

yes to cover ss hose..id rather just buy it by liek the foot theres a electric suply store near by ..i mainly made this thread to see if it was all the same material like the stuff form radio shack..b/c in pictures it looks more rubberized.

JRingold
07-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I picked up some from Ace Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot, it all looks plastic until you shrink it, then it looks like rubber coating.

CKY_Alliance
07-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Oh i see, thank you

Jaan
07-19-2005, 02:13 AM
There are a lot of different types of heat shrink in different colors, thicknesses etc. for different applications. Go to a good electronics place and you should be able to get some decent stuff.

Personally, I think I would go with the 2 to 1 ration shrink tubing. The stuff that shrinks at a 3 to 1 ration tends to come out a little thick. Also, if you go to an electronics shop for tubing the more expensive stuff has glue in it, that's better for shrinking around electrical wires but I don't think it's what you want. When you heat it is when the glue gets sticky so it's not immediately obvious.

billmi
07-19-2005, 09:55 AM
it looks like a more rubber material but all of the stuff i saw sunday was like malable plastic is it all the same texture/material or do they make a more rubbery type?

Regular vinyl heat shrink tubing will have a less specular finish (appear a bit more rubbery) after it shrinks, because all the surface imperfections are drawn closer together.

Dryden
07-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Go to http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrink/. You can order any color you want in any length you want and have it delivered in 2-3 days. I've dealt with this company numerous times before and have no complaints.

CKY_Alliance
07-20-2005, 12:04 PM
How wide should i get 1/4 inch?

Chronobreak
07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
what about kilas shrink tubing?

it says AO..i would supply a link but AO search is teh suxorz :tard:

CKY_Alliance
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
i considered it but like you said the search is down..so im just gonna buy it locally.

Chronobreak
07-20-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.kilaproducts.com/kila/

look what i found :p

incase you change your mind..

i think RF also has some solid black...maybe tuna as well :cool:

alooney11
07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
1/2" is the size

CKY_Alliance
07-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Thank You.