PDA

View Full Version : What the heck has happened to the value of paintball gear?

punkncat
07-19-2005, 05:25 PM
This has come to the point of unreal. You almost can't give away good equipment anymore. I guess its been coming. The market is full of good markers, the technology has pretty much hit a plateau, and all the new users are convinced that the Ion is the end all be all because its cheap and has break beam eyes.....

(sigh)

Blazestorm
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I still manage to sell stuff for a decent price... maybe cause I got it for cheaper/free :D

Or maybe because I consider market value when I buy stuff.

JRingold
07-19-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know, I mean I just paid $1400CAD for a marker that was originally marked $2310CAD. That's a pretty good discount. I think it's been on their self a while, it has the 2.4 AGD Software...

cdacda13
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
I always buy used

WenULiVeUdiE
07-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Market saturation. It truly is a buyer's market.

Mr. Mouse
07-19-2005, 06:00 PM
doesnt seem to effect bob long, all he has to do is just come out with different milling and the price is right back up there :)

mobsterboy
07-19-2005, 07:25 PM
doesnt seem to effect bob long, all he has to do is just come out with different milling and the price is right back up there :)

True Dat True Dat

SpitFire1299
07-19-2005, 09:41 PM
I like how it went down... things shouldnt cost this much. :(

staticdecay
07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Its not that bad I sold my automag for more than a ion 325 to be exact and sure it came with a couple of extra barrels but its all about playing the market know who is looking and sending them a shout. I went to ebay to do this for a couple of reasons:

first it makes a would be buyer put his money where his mouth is (a problem on forums)

second its finite there is a set time and thats it (deals can take weeks to work out)

third I'm lazy

I watched what other simular guns were selling for then accepted the fact I'd be lucky to match a cheap Ion in price about 230 and set my reserve at that. I watched other mag auctions and emailed those would be bidders to please check mine out. Then I went here and posted a link in the markers section to say to all mag lovers that there is a chance to get my cherished mag. After ebay fees shipping etc I cleared about 300 I was shocked, but I think that I had a quality mag and that I played with the people that were intrested. I had 15 bidders and 12 watchers. Just knowing these types of things might help out. Also know that markers are now like used car sales. You got to roll them off the lot new and expect a hit when you trade them in unless you take good care of them and upgrade them, even then its going to ding your wallet some. I buy used stuff, clearance stuff, give away stuff, etc. scavaging isn't easy but it does have its rewards when it comes to maintaing value.

Mr. Mouse
07-19-2005, 11:13 PM
now that the market plataued(no idea how to spell it) on technology of markers, the market its now all going to be about customizability(is that even a word?), such as custom milling, accessories, parts, ano's, etc and now its going to be who has the wildest custom marker, and not whose marker has ramping or this board or that, all the boards are pretty much the same except the name brand, i dont think technology of markers can reach any further unless it has like thermal heat scanners to see through the bunkers or something, or start making more pneumatic markers that shoot like an electro but dont require batterys which will save the consumer on extra stuff such as not buying batterys, but now i think the market is going to be, like i said, all about custom stuff :)

TheTramp
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Tom predicted it over a year ago and look what's happened..... resale is so low it's almost not worth selling your old gun when you get a new one.

Lohman446
07-20-2005, 09:56 AM
I lost no money in trading in my Ion - I actually think I made $10

I lost a lot of money on my last Shocker deal... it came off the wall, I paid for it (it had ramping when ramping was knew, it was deemed legal at a tournament and another team had expressed interest in it so I bought it to keep it from them) and then handed it to a teammate. This was back when we thought ramping actually made a difference in our skill level, I have since learned that difference is minimal. I sold it to him at the beginning of this year for $400 so I know I lost money on that deal....

Lohman446
07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
In answer to the question, the market has an issue.

Low end electro (Spyder Piranha) new: About $150

Mid end electro (Ion) new: About $275

High end electro (Proto Matrix) new: About $700

Theres not a lot of room in there for another company to sneak in, and the prices of new have tumbled and pushed down the prices of used with them. I predict the next "big" marker to be a $500 marker produced by one of the big companies (NPS, SP, Dye) and based on an already proven marker - like a price drop on the Shocker / Defiant or something of that nature. I think the Ion has shown that the players are looking for a "high name" marker at a bottom end price.

FSU_Paintball
07-20-2005, 11:42 AM
That makes sense, Lohman. As long as ICD gets their QC under control I think it could easily be one of these new freestyles they're coming out with. The FS-7 looks like a big step in the right direction.

slade
07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
That makes sense, Lohman. As long as ICD gets their QC under control I think it could easily be one of these new freestyles they're coming out with. The FS-7 looks like a big step in the right direction.
? what quality control issues? or are you talking about the outsourcing of the B2K5 production to china?

Kevmaster
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
yeah....

I want more for my money
The way it was back then

Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that