PDA

View Full Version : my custom halo backplate in red CF.

yakitori
07-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Ive been working on this today. I got a sheet of red carbon fiber and managed to make myself a couple backplates w/ rubber on/off buttons. They are very durable, work great, and look schnazzy.

Whatcha think?

I need to find an LED cover that snaps in place, and Im good to go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/yakitori/IMG_0426.jpg

Lohman446
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I think.. sell me two please - for an Empire.. should be the same?

yakitori
07-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I think.. sell me two please - for an Empire.. should be the same?

do you really want two? I can do it probably, but they will have to be red. It should be the same for a reloader. I dont know exactly what the reloader backplate is like though. If the button and LED are in the same place as a halo then I can do it.

How much are you thinking. I was thinking along the lines of 12-15 shipped.

I have to find a LED cover first. It was recommended that I use a fat peice of fiber optic, or clear acrylic. Im going on the search for it tomorrow.

Ill shoot ya a PM when I get some more made and check fitted.

Good thing I have my old cracked clear shells. Each one is hand made and check fitted for alignment. Each backplate takes about 20 minutes to make, maybe 30 depending on how smoothly things go.

Lohman446
07-20-2005, 08:13 PM
$15 a piece shipped, after IAO, just tell me when you have them ready and I'll paypal you the cash, they will look great on the Devilmag and red to black Matrix. So, no hurry of course, gotta do IAO first

yakitori
07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
k, will do. I will be working on these tomorrow some, and I will also go to the local shop and compare the halo backplate to the reloader backplate and make sure they fit. Send me a PM when you are done. Ill save 2 for ya.

There are a lot of ppl wanting them over on PBN in the AKA forum, but a lot of them want regular CF, or yellow, or blue.

I could do other colors, but I dont want to make that big of a commitment yet. Ill see how it goes.

CKY_Alliance
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Mesmerizing.

cdacda13
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
I got to get my friend to make me one of those. My buddys dad owns a Carbon Fiber business, so my friend makes carbon fiber gun stands and stuff.
This should be an easy project for him.

Paintchucker
07-20-2005, 08:56 PM
do you really want two? I can do it probably, but they will have to be red. It should be the same for a reloader. I dont know exactly what the reloader backplate is like though. If the button and LED are in the same place as a halo then I can do it.

How much are you thinking. I was thinking along the lines of 12-15 shipped.

I have to find a LED cover first. It was recommended that I use a fat peice of fiber optic, or clear acrylic. Im going on the search for it tomorrow.

Ill shoot ya a PM when I get some more made and check fitted.

Good thing I have my old cracked clear shells. Each one is hand made and check fitted for alignment. Each backplate takes about 20 minutes to make, maybe 30 depending on how smoothly things go.

Would you mind posting some DoItYourself type instructions? I bought a piece of that red kevlar/cf off of ebay, and about to have a little time to play... I got an old empire black shell that would be perfect... BTW, there is a guy over in the ION forums on PbN that did some very nice CF grips if you got some extra!!!

yakitori
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I cant give away my techniques. :p I will tell you this though. It was not as easy as it looks. CF is not the easiest material to cut or drill. It frays and crackes and the resin chips if you dont take your time and do it right. Also, finding all the parts has been a real PITA too. Ive gone from walmart, home depot, lowes, and frys electronics before I found the right kind of rubber on/off button. I thought that was going to be easier than it was. I still need to go find the LED cover, or something to use as one. The trick is to find something that will not take away fromt the brightness.

Its not rocket science, but it does take practice, and time to do it so that it looks nice. You dont want it to be all scratched up and chipped.

You can probably do it yourself if you have the tools, patience, and desire to do it. You will probably end up throwing away several trials before you get it right. Not only that, finding the parts to do it w/ is a hassle.

gc82000
07-20-2005, 10:32 PM
where did you get the white halo shell?

Conversekidz
07-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Just make sure when drilling the carbon fiber you use a sharp bit, drill on the side that will be showing, the exit hole is where is normally chips and frays. Also where you will be drilling the whole place some type of tape over it, masking tape works the best, and then drill your hole, it will help protect it from chipping.

magman007
07-21-2005, 02:18 AM
il take one in blue cf when you get those.

yakitori
07-21-2005, 10:43 AM
I am out of materials right now. I went to the store to find some more rubber on/off buttons, and they sold out. I found a place online, and I am thinking of ordereing form them, but we will have to see. Lots of ppl are wanting them right now, but this is a one man crew here. ;) Lohman wants 2, I need 2, and I have one already gone to spartan pretty much. I only had 5 rubber on/off buttons.

For the LED cover, I couldnt find a plastic light cover that snap in, so I bought some clear acrylic used to coat electronics with. It works pretty good. You can still see the LED fine. I have been waiting until they are partially dry, and pushing on it gently from the inside to make it concave on the inside, and convex on the outside. It kinda looks like a glass bead. Actually I like it better than the plastic snap so far.

Only thing is the acrylic takes 24 hours to cure.

I found out the hard way that you must use new, sharp bits. I could try masking the front of the drill area too. That might work better. If I could find some on/off buttons that overlapped the drill area a bit more, it wouldnt be an issue. These on/off buttons that I have dont give me too much room for flaws.

Overall, Im pleased. It fits snugly in place and is sturdy, and the on/off buttons is hella durable.

SCpoloRicker
07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Thats pretty slick looking, yak. :)

rkjunior303
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd take one, after IAO.

GA Devil
07-21-2005, 12:00 PM
probably could just a light pipe. they come in different sizes. its what i use in the back of my frames. You can get them from digikey or mouser

yakitori
07-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Im just using acrylic for now. It works okay. The Halo LED is not that bright already. I went outside in the light and could still see it although it wasnt bright. I cupped my hand and did it, and I can see it okay. Not much different than the stock LED cover.

thanks for the help guys, and the nice comments.

Spartan X
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
You guys can see a red one in person at IAO, I'll have ojne on my black to red fade Halo v35 :p

Conversekidz
07-21-2005, 03:03 PM
a good thing that you could use for the light hole is an acrylic rod from tapplastics.com Just FYI when you cut the rod it will be hazy on the ends, take a torch and slightly melt the end piece, it will clear it right back up. Just select the right size rod, and then super glue it into the whole. Its a nice simple fiberoptic style piece for the CF

yakitori
07-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Spartan, I sent that one to you today. I am still going to be looking locally for the other kinds of LED covers from mouser electronics locally. There is one not far from my house. I also found a source for rubber on/off buttons. When I get the LED cover source and start getting these made, I will start making them in other colors. I will also mail you one of the LED covers when I find something better than the acrylic that I used. For now the acrylic works. It transmits light okay, and it keeps paint out of the halo and getting on your board, but that is my last touch I would like to have on these plates.

I only have the other 2 for lohman made, and they are curing right now.

If all goes well, I will start making more. For now Im done. I will wait until I have plenty made and post up a FS thread in the misc forum.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help you guys have given me. Thanks. :)

yakitori
07-21-2005, 04:44 PM
hey thanks GA devil for recommending Mouser electronics. I found exactly what I needed and they are about 10 minutes from my house. Too bad they dont do will call pickups though. I have to wait it out and pay for shipping.

I now have Snaptight LED mounts for the backplates. And I found a source for the Rubber on/off buttons too. Im going to check w/ mouser first though since they are close because the other place for the buttons was UPS shipping only and was 10 bucks shipping. Wow. I hope mouser has them.

Thanks guys. I will be posting up pics, and if all goes well, I should have other colors.

Thanks

yakitori
07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
where did you get the white halo shell?

hey bro, sorry I didnt see that question. They are reloader B shells. I bought them from my shop around here. They had all the colors. White, yellow, diamond, red, maroon, smoke, green, etc. Pretty much all the colors available, they had them. I just like the white. :D.

MonsterMag
07-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Check mine out
Modded halo B
9 volt modd
Motor mod (upgraded)
Custom Back Plate

Feeds as fasty if not faster than a victory. 35-40bps :dance:

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/28000/100_2081_rs.JPG
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/28000/100_2082_rs.JPG
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/28000/100_2085_rs.JPG

magman007
07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
hey thanks GA devil for recommending Mouser electronics. I found exactly what I needed and they are about 10 minutes from my house. Too bad they dont do will call pickups though. I have to wait it out and pay for shipping.

I now have Snaptight LED mounts for the backplates. And I found a source for the Rubber on/off buttons too. Im going to check w/ mouser first though since they are close because the other place for the buttons was UPS shipping only and was 10 bucks shipping. Wow. I hope mouser has them.

Thanks guys. I will be posting up pics, and if all goes well, I should have other colors.

Thanks

make sure im number one on the blue cf ones :)

zackzel
07-21-2005, 09:36 PM
chalk me up for one of the blue ones also if you decide to do that color

yakitori
07-21-2005, 09:40 PM
I just contacted the vendor about the other colors. Im seeing what all he offers.

I would like to have

Red
Yellow
blue
black
reg. carbon fiber
silver - thats right. I wasnt aware of this one. Im asking about it though. Silver would be piimp.

Also, I should have my LED covers soon and I will be able to find out if it is the right size and style. They website said they are visible from any angle, and that they increase brightness by 12-15%. We will see about that though. The board LED is so far away from the backplate and thats why they arent bright enough to begin w/.

Ill put a thread in the dealers forum, or Misc. equipment.

Ill try not to forget ya. :)

yakitori
07-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Here is the finished product.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/yakitori/IMG_0430.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/yakitori/IMG_0428.jpg

Lohman446
07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Very impressive Yak, shoot me paypal info and Ill send you $30 for two - assuming that is still the price

yakitori
07-24-2005, 07:38 PM
ya, its still the price. These are 15 a piece shipped. Ill PM ya w/ the paypal info. I have your two ready to go out already. Ill update to everyone else when they will be ready to start selling. Should be w/in the next week or so. This is a one man crew, so Ill try my hardest.

Thanks

Lohman446
07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
you have money :)

yakitori
07-24-2005, 09:07 PM
lol, Im gonna get in trouble if the mods think this is a f/s thread. :D. J/k. I got it, and I will send them out first thing in the morning.

Thanks