PDA

View Full Version : Why is paintball called gotcha too???

Athius
07-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Over here most of the people that play and doesnt play call paintball with the name of gotcha. Why it is called like that?

VFX_Fenix
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
THere was a movie back in the 80's called "Gothcha" which had some paintball content in it.

This may be what they're talking about.

MoneyShot
07-20-2005, 09:38 PM
no one here ever refers paintball as gotcha

Jaan
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, Gotcha was a film with Anthony Edwards where they play paintball on a college campus:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089222/

and I beleive back in the 80's that was also the trademark for a paintball franchise and line of guns but I'm really stretching my memory now ... perhaps someone else can fill in the details.

Dryden
07-20-2005, 09:56 PM
and I beleive back in the 80's that was also the trademark for a paintball franchise and line of guns but I'm really stretching my memory now ... perhaps someone else can fill in the details.
Yup. Gotcha guns were all the rage in 1988.

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/gotcha/gotchaenforcerdoublegunsetc.jpg

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/gotcha/gotcha.html

GoTcHaSuCcA
07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
so i unwitingly named myself after a 1988 version of paintball? I was barely alive in 1988 never mind playing paintball.........

....... or was I? hmmmm that explains why i love this game so much!

rkjunior303
07-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I remember when those came out. I wanted one SO bad, but I decided to get the GI Joes instead.

What did they shoot, weren't they just like squirt guns?

digitard
07-20-2005, 10:36 PM
No they had these little rotating cartriges you put in that shot out little paint blobs... it was pretty cheezy, but extremely fun

I had quite a few of those (including the HALO shotgun style one). It was always a blast.

That and the original LAZER TAG guns.

Athius
07-21-2005, 12:06 AM
No they had these little rotating cartriges you put in that shot out little paint blobs... it was pretty cheezy, but extremely fun

I had quite a few of those (including the HALO shotgun style one). It was always a blast.

Wow lazer tag i remeber the old animated series and garbagepatch kids. Damn i miss those days.

Jaan
07-21-2005, 12:07 AM

That and the original LAZER TAG guns.Even before lazer tag ... do you remember the toy spacecraft that you could fly around holding it by a gun handle and shoot at other spacecraft? One model came in black and the other came in white. If you tilted it up slightly the engine sound would rise like it was climbing and vica versa. If you got an indirect shot the engines would falter and if you got hit directly the engine would quite and it wouldn't fire anymore.

The best part of those was that the spaceships were modular so you could reconfigure them but if you just left everything off then you would be left with just a gun. Man, that must have been '79 or '80. I remember the sound of the lazers firering was exactly like a sound effect in the song "Rock the Casbah".

RoadDawg
07-21-2005, 12:20 AM

I had two... and I was only 7 or 8 years old. Nothing like shooting a hard plastic wad with a few drops of paint on it. Those were the days when shop glasses were "ok" to use. I used to wait with anticipation as they sat soaking in water prior to use. Me, my brother and 2 of my neighbors all had at least one gun. It was sweet. I always hated having to push that stupid "safety" button while pulling the trigger.

RoadDawg
07-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Wow lazer tag i remeber the old animated series and garbagepatch kids. Damn i miss those days.

Garbage Pale Kids... those are still classics. :rofl:

VFX_Fenix
07-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Even before lazer tag ... do you remember the toy spacecraft that you could fly around holding it by a gun handle and shoot at other spacecraft? One model came in black and the other came in white. If you tilted it up slightly the engine sound would rise like it was climbing and vica versa. If you got an indirect shot the engines would falter and if you got hit directly the engine would quite and it wouldn't fire anymore.

The best part of those was that the spaceships were modular so you could reconfigure them but if you just left everything off then you would be left with just a gun. Man, that must have been '79 or '80. I remember the sound of the lazers firering was exactly like a sound effect in the song "Rock the Casbah".

They had something similar for "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future"

I still have my Aircraft pistol thingy and all the little bits that it came with.

On a similar note, I also still have an old Laser Tag Pistol (the one that looks like it stepped off of the set of Star Trek: TNG Romulan Disruptor Style) and a Photon gun and target which all still work much to my amazement.

I remember playing Photon with my friend who had the helmet and body sensor harness that you plugged into your Photon gun. About the only problem with them was you couldn't play in the sun with them or else you'd get false hits and you couldn't shoot as far.

Jaan
07-21-2005, 01:18 AM
STAR BIRD AVENGER and INTRUDER!

http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/starbird/

Those are the spaceships I was talking about. I had the black Intruder ... probably still do someplace. If you look close at the Intruder you will notice the handle under the back where you could hold it and all those parts came off, the wings, cockpit surround etc so you were just left with just a "gun".

Damn, 1979. Funny how we kids took perfectly good spaceship toys and turned them into "guns" for playing war LOL.

digitard
07-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Photon was like the 'high tech' Lazer Tag.

My fond childhood 'guns'.

- LAZER TAG
- Gotcha (i loved the NES game too)
- The original SUPER SOAKERS
- Captain Power spaceship (I never could hit those dots on my TV right)
- Duck Hunt/Hogans Alley (Still have my NES/Light Gun)
- Taking the rolls of caps out of my 'cap gun' and smashing them w/ a hammer and a big boom...lol

SpitFire1299
07-21-2005, 01:36 AM
http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Gotcha/Gotcha_cart.jpg
Gotcha Paintball game for Nintendo.. I have it too!
http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Gotcha/Gotcha_thumb_cart.jpg

snake_eater
07-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Mad Dog McCree for the win!

digitard
07-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Mad Dog Macree was cool... but it wasn't as cool as SPACE ACE. Or that game w/ the bent screen to make it look like a hologram. I think it was TIME TRAVELER.

LudavicoSoldier
07-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Smashing rolls of caps with a hammer...those were the days (of deafness).

rkjunior303
07-21-2005, 12:56 PM

what?

Eatem Alive
07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
oh yeah...i can still smell it.

Vex
07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Mad Dog Macree was cool... but it wasn't as cool as SPACE ACE. Or that game w/ the bent screen to make it look like a hologram. I think it was TIME TRAVELER.
I've got the the 20th anniversary editions of both Dragon's Lair games and Space Ace on DVD. They work quite well on a regular player.

The memories...

I had a set of Lazer Tag guns (still around somewhere); and I also had the original NES with the gyroscope and Robbie the Robot--does anyone remember that? It also came with Duckhunt/Super Mario Bros.

SpitFire1299
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
.......and I also had the original NES with the gyroscope and Robbie the Robot--does anyone remember that? It also came with Duckhunt/Super Mario Bros.

Hah! Yes i do.

WARPED1
07-21-2005, 04:47 PM
The real reason:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089222/

DarkMag722
07-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Over here most of the people that play and doesnt play call paintball with the name of gotcha. Why it is called like that?

His location is in his profile.....real yourself back in as anymore attacks like that and you will be looking in from the sidelines....MarkM

rx2
07-21-2005, 06:40 PM
If I remember, the Gotcha commercial featured former NFL football quarterback Jim McMahon as a spokesman. I think one featured him lounging on a float in the middle of a pool at what we were to believe was his mansion. He would be shooting at things with his Gotcha gun, and his butler would come out and get shot, too. Ahh, the good ol' days.

digitard
07-21-2005, 08:11 PM
http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/nes/01/Gotcha_Game.gif

JRingold
07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Oh, man, now I'm having flashbacks to that game and duck hunt. :shooting:

StuDawggie
07-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Garbage Pale Kids... those are still classics. :rofl:

I'm in the middle of packing up my house for another move, and I found about 200 or so that I had from when I was a kid. Anyone remember the "Garbage Kids Pals" movie?

rx2
07-23-2005, 10:13 PM
I still have the Garbage Pails Kids movie on VHS in my vast collection of movies from the 80s. I also had every single card, in multiples, along with all of the posters that you had to assemble. Of course, those all got thrown out somehow. They actually sell reissues, as well as a newer line of cards illustrated by various artists, including some of the artists from MAD magazine.