PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot Paintball

MoneyShot
07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
I was jsut sitting here thinking and then i got to thinking about slingshots. I remembered how fun it was to shoot like rocks at squirls and rabbits and stuff. Then i thought about using it for paintball. So today i went out and bought a sweet slingshot and then i went in my back yard and then i shot some paintballs from it. This thing is sweet, it shoots so straight. I can hit like and tree i want. So now im going to take it paintballing with me next time to a woodsball field and then see if i can get anyone. Im going to have some friends go buy some slingshots and have like a 3 on 3 game or something. Just thought you guys might like to hear my idea, heehee.

Skoad
07-26-2005, 04:03 PM
my old roomate used to play slingshot vs guns....of course he wouldn't allow bunkering, only would play vs 1 other person (unless it was a free for all), and you had to shoot like once every 15 seconds

JimmyBeam
07-26-2005, 04:14 PM
all i can say is.....ouch

it hurts

slade
07-26-2005, 04:30 PM
i think a lot of slingshots can top 300 fps, so they arent really allowed...

wanna-b-ballin'
07-26-2005, 05:08 PM
when i was younger, my friends and i played a little paintball with slingshots. it was only us, and not at a field. i buzzed my friends face, and they we were like, "this isn't safe" so we stopped.

just a few months ago i took my slingshot to the field, and chronographed it. i have one of those slingshots with the wrist brace to steady the shot, and so you can shoot harder. well i checked the velocity. right around 200 fps 235 tops. if you pull back on it much harder you risk breaking the ball in the sack. i was useing a red band on my slingshot, its easier to pull back because its tapered, and yet it gives a higher fps. so i'd say its fairly safe to use them.

downside- the field might not let you because its easily possible for you to shoot rocks. more so than anybody with a gun, because everybody knows that rocks and guns dont mix very well.

WARPED1
07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
The "wrist rocket" styule slingshot shoots way over 300fps, so don't even think about it, unless you want to lose an eye.

MoneyShot
07-26-2005, 06:23 PM
just a few months ago i took my slingshot to the field, and chronographed it. i have one of those slingshots with the wrist brace to steady the shot, and so you can shoot harder. well i checked the velocity. right around 200 fps 235 tops. if you pull back on it much harder you risk breaking the ball in the sack. i was useing a red band on my slingshot, its easier to pull back because its tapered, and yet it gives a higher fps. so i'd say its fairly safe to use them

Thats like exactly how my sling shot is. It has one of those wrist things and it has red bands. When i was shooting it i figured i was shooting around 200-230 fps, so thats not a problem. I know i wasnt shooting over 270. But im going to chrono it to see what im really shooting.

JimmyBeam
07-26-2005, 06:32 PM
maybe its just becasue i got shot when i first started playing, but it seemed to hurt rather bad.

MoneyShot
07-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I kind of think that it would hurt too for some reason... So ill have to try it out on someone stupid, hehe.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-26-2005, 06:52 PM
i am sure wrist rockets can shoot over 300 fps, but with a paintball, it is probably quite difficult.
and them hurting more, i'm not suprised considering that the balls are flying slower, thus causing bounces

MoneyShot
07-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Yep i was alos thinking that.

drg
07-26-2005, 08:26 PM
I first played over 15 years ago with slingshots, back in the era of the splatmaster and $2.00 tubes of paint. It's fun, but the balls rarely break.

To solve the problems of pinching or softening the ball while in the leather pouch, I duct-taped a tube cap into the pouch. Then you can hold it loaded forever and pull back on the bands as hard as you like.

Army
07-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Not totally sure, but I think Crossman made a special pouch just for paintballs.....back in the 90's.

wanna-b-ballin'
07-26-2005, 11:09 PM
my slingshot is made by crossman, and i got it in the 90's. but now you have me interested in this paintball pouch.

drg
07-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Seriously, try the tube cap method. It really works.

ya motha
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
One time on a rainy day a couple of buddies of mine desperate to get in a day of paintball bought some $5.00 slinghots and had a really good time. Its kind of a refreshing spin on things if you get bored. I wonder what they would say if i brought one to the local field....

Narg
12-02-2005, 08:07 AM
when i was younger, my friends and i played a little paintball with slingshots. it was only us, and not at a field. i buzzed my friends face, and they we were like, "this isn't safe" so we stopped.
yeah.... not smart. you wouldnt go out with guns using no eye protection, would you? you could have at least used regular paintball masks. it can be safe if you make it that way:)

well i checked the velocity. right around 200 fps 235 tops
that is pretty nice to know about how fast they shoot. I have been hit by paintballs fired from guns and from slingshots. the only time a slingshot hurts is if you get hit in the small of the back or in the neck... other than that, it doesnt hurt at all.

The "wrist rocket" styule slingshot shoots way over 300fps, so don't even think about it, unless you want to lose an eye.
i have been doing it for 8 years now and still have both my eyes... they dont shoot over 250fps.

====

now as far as the paintballs breaking in your leather pouch... of course that happens. but only like 1 in 500 paintballs. you have to learn to hold the thing right. there are 2 ways to do this. grab the leather pouch behind the painball with the very tips of your fingers. the leather pouch then closes on the paintball when you pull back holding it in. I personally dont like this method. I grip just below the knots on the leather pouch. You dont squeeze the paintball at all. The problem is breaking your band if you pull back too far too much.

I love slingshot paintball. I've kinda started a league where i live. If you are interested in seeing what it's all about, check out my website:

Slingshot Paintball (http://www.freewebs.com/slingshotpaintball/)

zaqwert6
12-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Good luck shooting a paintball over 300fps with a slingshot , silly boys. ;)

However....

I actually have used one from time to time in the woods , they're suprisingly fun to play with...kinda like sc pump extreme and really quiet too. Just have to play with holding it so you can get a good pull with out breaking the ball.

WARPED1
12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
No way to control velocity, only place you could use slingshots is in "outlaw" ball.

eric_503
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
ive got a crossman slingshot around somewhere what i do is i put the ball in then grab where the holes are that the blue tube/elastic is tied to i never get breaks

wanna-b-ballin'
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
yeah, i have a crossman too. i can hit just about anything i aim at. and for holding it, i hold it right behind the knots, but infront of the ball. i try not to squeeze the ball. rarely i break one in the sack, but sometimes i hit the V bar thingy, and thats a mess to clean up. your whole band gets slippery.

Narg
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
ive got a crossman slingshot around somewhere what i do is i put the ball in then grab where the holes are that the blue tube/elastic is tied to i never get breaks

heh.. that's pretty much the way i described it in my post a few up from here;)

see everyone? it does work! out of the mouths of 2 or 3 witness!

and btw it is crosman... not crossman:)

eric_503
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
haha my bad i missed your post

geekwarrior
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
sweet, i have an old slingshot...might have to get a band for it...me and my little brother used to shoot rocks at each other (looking back that wasnt the smartest thing we did)...somehow we never hit each other in the face, but it did hurt like a mother, even with heavy clothes on....

wanna-b-ballin'
12-02-2005, 06:26 PM
my friends and i used to stuff our pockets full of leaves (fresh big green ones) and wad them up and shoot eachother. they wouldn't fly far, but they did sting up close.

bentothejam1n
12-02-2005, 07:52 PM
heh yea when I was little we used paintballs and marshmellows. I still have a scar where i got shot point blank on my shoulder

Vicious6
12-03-2005, 02:54 PM
marshmellows make excellent projectiles heh.... I found "marshmellow launchers" on thinkgeek.com, and some co-workers and I bought a few (mind you now this is my nighttime per-diem job, and it's an ambulance company). There's nothing like being a diligent little worker just to have a drive-by marshmellowing......

Edit: I'm tired and I can't spell

wanna-b-ballin'
12-03-2005, 04:01 PM
marshmellows make excellent projectiles heh.... I found "marshmellow launchers" on thinkgeek.com, and some co-workers and I bought a few (mind you now this is my nighttime per-diem job, and it's an ambulance company). There's nothing like being a diligent little worker just to have a drive-by marshmellowing......

Edit: I'm tired and I can't spell

i want one of these http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/7491/

Vicious6
12-03-2005, 10:21 PM
yes that was next on my list of toys :D