PDA

View Full Version : Why the Emags battery is bigger than others

SpitFire1299
07-26-2005, 09:46 PM
This is from 2001, and I think a lot of people didnt know of this. So. please read all before you post. :)

Guys,

The Emag battery is larger than other electros to keep the entire system as simple as possible. All the other electros except the Hyperframe and Booya use a low pressure regulator and micro solenoids to actuate an air ram to fire the gun. The solenoids are VERY small and difficult if not impossible to fix. The addition of the regulator and air ram makes for more things to adjust and possibly go wrong.

We went another direction, in keeping with our rep. of high reliability it made more sense to get E performance with the minimum amount of extra parts. Our design uses only ONE extra moving part, that is the solenoid plunger. To our way of thinking this makes our system the easiest to debug and keep going. The penalty for the simplicity is a larger battery.

The Hyperframe and Booya use a single 9v but they get less shots per battery. There are also other issues with these designs that we chose to avoid by using a larger, rechargeable battery.

I recently posted the prototype short battery pack in response to everyone complaining about the weight of the Emag. People generally think the Emag is way heavier than the Angel when in fact with the Emag's battery removed they weigh the same. The response (as we read it) on the shorter battery pack is "make it round, weight is not an issue".

The funny thing about the battery shape is that in our original proto the battery pack WAS round. At that time everyone was complaining they couldn't anodize the gun so we made it flat for more color and billboard space. You have to understand how confusing it is for us when everyone says they want their gun to look different, but not TOO different. Colors are ok but flat front grips or Z-grips are just TOO different.

Back to the drawing board, I'll see what we can do about round front grips.

AGD

And heres some bonus information from wayyyy back.

News flash from AGD Europe, the tourney was the German Millenium Series. Germany has decided that the battery pack on the front of the Emag looks too much like a real gun and will not allow them into the country. We are working with the German BKA to legalize it and getting an "F" stamp.

See, not as bad as it first looked!

AGD

Heres a proto-type- (YUCK!)
http://www.automags.org/pic/img/proto/front_grip_2.jpg

Honestly.. i dont think there is anything wrong with the size of it. Its annoying listening to people complain about how its heavy and "ugly". The emag is VERY simple.

So.. stop complaining and start understanding!!!
:cheers:

500th post!! :hail:

master_alexander
07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
i never knew that.

and i like the battery pack the way it is...

FreakBaller12
07-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I personally think the look grows on you after awhile. I also love the simplicity of mags, which is why I keep coming back to them.

MonsterMag
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
They need the power to power the noid and board. Emags noids are big :)

doober
07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
i just got my emag (first mag at all) and i love it. And to me its not very heavy because it gets all balanced out and i love how the pack is flat. Also my friend has a 2002 LCD Angel and it is way top heavy!!!

But in all i LOVE my mag and its simplicty and being different.

SpitFire1299
07-26-2005, 10:54 PM
i just got my emag (first mag at all) and i love it. And to me its not very heavy because it gets all balanced out and i love how the pack is flat. Also my friend has a 2002 LCD Angel and it is way top heavy!!!

But in all i LOVE my mag and its simplicty and being different.

Heh.. my friend also has a 2002 angel LCD. Its a hard gun to play with because the weight is unbalanced. Well, thats how i see it. I find that the gun with the smaller top and heavier bottom are very uncomfortable, and then theres the well made emag, great balance.

Heres my emag..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/PwrMugen/Paintball/myemag.png

68magOwner
07-26-2005, 11:05 PM
to make it more reliable eh? Well, look at all the other markers using the alternative to the emags style "simple/reliable" noid plunger, how many of them have problems with the noids? Meh, i would have preferd it be a standard 9v and solenoid

Vex
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I like the Emag just the way it is. I'm glad AGD went with final design.

Dayspring
07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
So when my Timmy noid died a month out of the box and had to replace the entire thing for $75, and then again a few days later, I was longing for the days of the mag plunger.

The other thing is that the push/pull solenoids lose power as they heat up. That's why they went with a bigger, more durable one. Just needs more power, that's all.

to make it more reliable eh? Well, look at all the other markers using the alternative to the emags style "simple/reliable" noid plunger, how many of them have problems with the noids? Meh, i would have preferd it be a standard 9v and solenoid

RRfireblade
07-27-2005, 09:28 AM
It's all a trade off. The Emag is a simple design and simple to trouble shoot however I have changed far more Emag niods than any others combined as well as the transistor used to switch it. I've seen that little sucker burn right thru the board. :D The Emag niod is just bigger and works alot harder than the others. It also doesn't handle the ROF that people expect to get out of their markers today as well.

All in all tho, it generally works fine and is not 'problematic' by any means. I've seen many that have millions of cycles on them and still rip just like day one.And personally I don't have any problems with the battery pack. It gives the E/Xmag a unique appearance and makes it stand out in a crowd.It's also much easier to hang on to when splattered with paint than many round foregrips and Regs. I like that too so to each his own I guess. :)

BigEvil
07-27-2005, 09:35 AM
So when my Timmy noid died a month out of the box and had to replace the entire thing for $75, and then again a few days later, I was longing for the days of the mag plunger.

The other thing is that the push/pull solenoids lose power as they heat up. That's why they went with a bigger, more durable one. Just needs more power, that's all.

I guess its also a trade off wether sell more 9v guns and fix them more often or sell less 18v guns and fix them less often?

MadPSIence
07-27-2005, 09:48 AM
frankly.. to me the battery pack is a sweet thing. it's the most comfortable foregrip for me.

JoshK
07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
frankly.. to me the battery pack is a sweet thing. it's the most comfortable foregrip for me.

Agreed. That's why I used a empty emag battery housing on my old hyper framed mag...and I'm going to be using it on the mech mag I just bought also. Of course this is with an adapter made by Big n slo.

athomas
07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I was out to the field this past weekend. A friend, who normally shoots a Matrix, was using my emag (matrix had a bad solenoid gasket) for the entire day. He loved it, said it shoot amazingly consistent. He had no problem railing paint with it. He also found it to be quite light and comfortable.

At the end of the day, everyone was milling around and talking. We all had our guns stripped down to just the gun, without hopper or tanks. So, everyone was looking at everyones guns and checking out the triggers and the basic feel. They had heard the emag was heavy, and were quite surprised to find how light it was. I don't even have a fully ULE emag, not even the x-valve, just the ULE body and Fireblade trigger (which I love).

One guy remarked "Anybody that says this gun is heavy has noodle arms." LOL.

11 Bravo
07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I also like the battery pack. It does provide a good grip. All the other guns have a regulator there so whats the big deal.

SpitFire1299
07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
One guy remarked "Anybody that says this gun is heavy has noodle arms." LOL.
Thats an awesome quote! I agree with that all the way. A lot of people pick up my guns and add 3000 shots to the counter and i have to take it away from them. :D

It feels really strange wrapping my hand around a little regulator or front grip to me, even though i have a few guns that i do have to.

FSU_Paintball
07-27-2005, 01:31 PM
I always figured that the reason it had a large battery was because tripping a sear as big as that one uses up some serious juice.

master_alexander
07-27-2005, 01:45 PM
for thoes of us who dont have emags, wanna put up a pic of the internals of the frame? :D

player4
07-27-2005, 10:50 PM
for thoes of us who dont have emags, wanna put up a pic of the internals of the frame? :D

http://www.airgun.com/xmag/html/marker.html

- scroll down a little bit