PDA

View Full Version : What Am I Missing?

Vex
07-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Alright, I don't see how a HALO is any more force-fed or any less gravity-fed than an eVLution II.
Looking at the inner feedcups, raceways, and drive assemblies of both, they are almost identical in the way they seem to operate.
With the HALO's drive cone, it seems like you'd get a lot more "bobble" when there are less paintballs inside, versus the impeller of an Egg.

So what am I missing?

11 Bravo
07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I have both feeders and they are both good , but the Halo puts constant pressure on the balls and I dont think the Egg does. That would mean (sp) that the Egg has to catch up when you start firing and the Halo is already pushing the balls before you fire.
Also - stock the Halo B does 23 bps and the Egg does 17 bps.

Vex
07-30-2005, 12:54 PM
I have both feeders and they are both good , but the Halo puts constant pressure on the balls and I dont think the Egg does. That would mean (sp) that the Egg has to catch up when you start firing and the Halo is already pushing the balls before you fire.
I know that the HALO feeds faster; however, why do people think that it is a true force feed, and the Egg is not? If you were to put a better gear ratio into the Egg's servo and increase the amount of power going to the motor, it would certainly feed as fast as the HALO. I realize all the little extras that the HALO has for $100+ vs. $70 for the Egg. If all of those extras were put into the Egg--then wouldn't it feed as fast?
The similarity between the two is the way that they feed--not how fast. They both use an impeller of sorts to push paintballs into the raceway and down the feedneck. At some point, gravity will take over--for both. I just don't see the point when this happens being different in either one. The best thing you can actually say is that they are "force-assited" gravity hoppers. They both rely on gravity to bring the paint into the feedcup, then the cone/impeller forces the balls into the raceway/feedneck--the paint has a good momentum now, but relies on gravity overall to get the ball into the breach.

God...do I just not get it?

Dayspring
07-30-2005, 01:25 PM
The spring on the drive cone of the Halo makes it force fed. Even with the power off, the hopper will push the balls into the gun. The Egg can't. (albeit only for like 4-5 shots until the spring unwinds.)

Vex
07-30-2005, 02:15 PM
The spring on the drive cone of the Halo makes it force fed. Even with the power off, the hopper will push the balls into the gun. The Egg can't. (albeit only for like 4-5 shots until the spring unwinds.)
But how is it forcing the balls into the feedneck any differently than the Egg? That's what I'm not understanding I guess. They both spin counter-clockwise forcing the paint into the feedneck...right? I don't see any difference in the operation--just the speed of the operation.

How does having a spring in the drive cone help it any?

yingyang
07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
by putting pressure on the stack of balls in the cone and the tube, but also your right, the egg operation is just a little slower also.

VFX_Fenix
07-31-2005, 12:41 AM
When the Evo II is turned off the impeller is stationary and does not exert any pressure uppon the ball stack (Unless you have a Z-Board and even then it's only until the impeller arm is unflexed). The Drive cup of a loaded HALO that's been allowed to wind the spring, either through turning it on or a RIP drive, the spring in the drive cup provides pressure to the ball stack (pre-load).

Once both loaders have started spinning and aren't feeding from "stored energy" (HALO) they will both feed in a similar fashion by pushing balls into the feed neck with their impellers. If you notice an uncapped gun shooting with a HALO usually has a very fast burst initially but slows down once the spring tension on the ball stack has been expended. With the Evo II the feed rate is more or less constant through the entire string.

Z-Boards in Evo II's add a certain ammount of "pre-load" to the stack by causing the impeller to continue turning after paint has stopped leaving the loader. However the value of this additional spinning is questionable (to me) it's a "feature" of the Z-board.

Bottom line, it's a matter of Pre-load, not actual method of delivering paint while the guns are shooting, but what the loader's doing before a string is fired.

Blazestorm
07-31-2005, 01:03 AM
Here you go folks.

Revies - Reloader A's - Ricochet 2k's and AK's
*Agitate the paint as to remove jams.

Evolutions - Apaches
*Sort paint in a cup as to move the paint to the feedneck

Halos - Reloader-B's
*Sort paint in a cup as to move the paint to the feedneck
*Apply constant pressure to the feedstack to allow very high burst speeds. Constantly guarenteeing paint will be in the breech.

Those are the differences between feed systems, I don't care about warp-feeds or Q-loaders becuase those are silly ;)

VFX_Fenix
07-31-2005, 01:37 AM
...., I don't care about warp-feeds or Q-loaders becuase those are silly ;)

:rofl:

onedude36
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
turn it on. put your finger on the feedneck. put paint in. it will feed to your finger, and add a little pressure. that is force feed. eggs dont do that.

Dayspring
07-31-2005, 05:39 PM
The egg's impeller isn't spring loaded. It is not constantly exerting presure on the ball stack.

The Halo system is.

But how is it forcing the balls into the feedneck any differently than the Egg? That's what I'm not understanding I guess. They both spin counter-clockwise forcing the paint into the feedneck...right? I don't see any difference in the operation--just the speed of the operation.

How does having a spring in the drive cone help it any?

athomas
07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
A fast egg and a basic halo will feed at approximately the same rate in a free fall non mounted situation. Once you add the start-stop situation of a bolt in the breach, the equality stops.

The halo will apply pressure to the ball stack via spring while the bolt is forward. When the bolt retracts, the ball is accelerated into the breach much faster than if it was gravity fed. The energy that is stored in the spring, allows the Halo to maintain near its maximum feed rate whether it is running free or starting and stopping.

The egg does not apply any pressure to the ball stack when the forward bolt stops the flow of balls. The motor stops when the eye does not detect a gap. The bolt retracts and the first ball free falls into the breach using the force of gravity from dead stop. In most cases, this equates to about 14 - 15 bps.

Vex
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Got it now! Thanks for all of the replies!

I swear that if I had posted this on PBN, first response would have been like this:
"Gawd, what a total n00b! U dont no N E thing! Go back 2 woodsball! I'm 14 and play ternamints all the time. I no evrything!"

SpitFire1299
08-01-2005, 06:48 PM

The halo IS better, and more consistant. I had both, and sold my eggy. But.. it would be smarter to just buy an egg since your saving money.

Blazestorm
08-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Got it now! Thanks for all of the replies!

I swear that if I had posted this on PBN, first response would have been like this:
"Gawd, what a total n00b! U dont no N E thing! Go back 2 woodsball! I'm 14 and play ternamints all the time. I no evrything!"

Nice stereotype... You'd actually get more responses, within minutes over AO which took 3 days to get you an answer.

PBN is larger with more people. While there are more "idiots" there are also more intelligent people as well.

Go post it and see what happens. Paintball Talk is the most actively viewed forum.