PDA

View Full Version : Are any Tanks Too Slow?

SlartyBartFast
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
In the "my member is larger than your member" debates that permiate paintball, I wondered:

Is there a tank/regulator that is demonstrably too slow for sustained fire at game bps speeds (for all intents and purposes 15bps)?

Name the tank/regulator and provide the proof.

Thordic
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Go dig up Crossfires research, theres no need to be repetative.

AKA's charts will show there is a big difference in the inline regs too.

Whether or not they are "too slow" to keep up is relative. How much drop off are you willing to put up with? Do you expect your tank to keep the pressure the same with sustained 15 BPS, or do you accept that it'll drop off after a second or two, and then you need to let it catch up?

SlartyBartFast
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Go dig up Crossfires research, theres no need to be repetative.

AKA's charts will show there is a big difference in the inline regs too.

Whether or not they are "too slow" to keep up is relative. How much drop off are you willing to put up with? Do you expect your tank to keep the pressure the same with sustained 15 BPS, or do you accept that it'll drop off after a second or two, and then you need to let it catch up?

No. The research only shows graphs in milli and micro seconds. None give the relevance of the data being presented.

The "drop-off" due to a slow tank is one based on myth and heresay. No proof has been offered.

Sure, one tank may have been proven faster than another. But what are the real quantifiable weaknesses of the slower tank when applied to a paintball marker?

At what BPS is there a difference and how much of a difference?

Lohman446
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Good thoughts.... look at it this way, if all markers are capped at 15BPS (I understand they are not) what good do internals do that are capable of sustaining 20+BPS if there is going to be another limiting factor.

Maybe the "fastest" tank will support 200BPS and the "slowest" will only support 100BPS - big difference, think how different the graphs would look. Does it matter to our use?

The question becomes, are there any tanks currently available that do not support the speed of markers today.

cdacda13
08-02-2005, 11:54 AM
When I dont have a volumizer on my angel, I get terrible drop-off at 10 BPS. My tank, a ACI Bulldog, can't keep up.
But, on my buddy's angel(same setting, no volly) He doesn't get any drop off with his crossfire tank.
We both use the mini-reg which keeps up pretty good.

SlartyBartFast
08-02-2005, 12:35 PM
When I dont have a volumizer on my angel, I get terrible drop-off at 10 BPS. My tank, a ACI Bulldog, can't keep up.
But, on my buddy's angel(same setting, no volly) He doesn't get any drop off with his crossfire tank.
We both use the mini-reg which keeps up pretty good.

But that’s really complicating the situation. The volumiser is after the mini reg. Right?

That means it’s not just the ACI Bulldog that can’t keepup but the COMBINATION of the two regulators.

Actually the reality is that the mini reg can’t supply sufficient air at the pressure and flow provided by the tank regulator.

Now, in this specific case adding a volumiser (which is the same as adding a capacitor to an electric circuit) lowers the performance requirements for the secondary reg and makes the system perform adequately. So, which is cheaper? ACI Bulldog plus volumiser or Crossfire tank?

This avoids the questions of what air lines are used between the tank reg and gun as they too could have a big influence. Larger line will provide both better flow AND provide possible advantages from the capacitance of the volume.

It also brings us to the obvious observation that addition of capacitance to either or both the high and low pressure sides of a marker should gain consistency and performance.

It’s a multi-variable setup. The high tech and possibly high price solution isn’t necessarily the best.

This also shows how graphs and tests could perhaps be skewed to gain marketing advantages.

TheTramp
08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
I've never had shoot-down with any gun/tank combo that couldn't be explained by HPR, dwell, LPR, etc. Of course I don't shoot at 20+ bps.

I don't think there is any properly functioning tank being sold that can't fully recharge 15 time per second. I'd love to see some test showing data either way though.

Automaggot68
08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
It depends on how steep the hill is.

onedude36
08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
we could try this possibly by taking a viking and a dye throttle(which is said to have slow recharge) and see how fast it will go with bounce/ramp. Then try with a crossfire or dynaflow. Although zak's video shows the dynaflow going strong at 30 bps...

I dont think you will get drop off at 15 unless your regs are set wrong or dirty. Doesn't matter what tank at 15 I think.