PDA

View Full Version : ceramic bolts

68bird
08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
does anyone make a ceramic bolt for any paintball gun ive see barrels and bearings but no bolts. help me out

Muzikman
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Why would you want a ceramic bolt? I would think the constant movement would screw up the surface really quick. Delrin is your friend when it comes to bolts.

Echo419
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Why would you want ceramic anything :(

GhillieGuy
08-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I would imagine that using a ceramic bolt in a gun but just chew the bolt up.. I thought that they used to make em' for cockers.

68bird
08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
well when i use to skate my friend had bones ceramics which were like the best bearings u can get those things were quick im just thinking a bolt could be pritty light and smooth.

MadPSIence
08-04-2005, 04:02 PM
what we need is the PORCELAIN bolt.

WenULiVeUdiE
08-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Besides them wearing out quite fast, I would imagine they would not work too well. You would not be able to hold them to as tight tolerances as Delrin or Aluminum. Not too mention they would most likely shatter/crack quickly.

PumpPlayer
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Ceramic is just clay (basically). Porcelain is the same thing. It's just earth-based composites.

The advantages ceramic has as a material are primarily its high resistance to high temperatures. Space shuttle tiles, for example, since they've been in the news lately. Secondly, ceramics can be easily molded and cast which metals have a tough time with without becoming extra brittle. The downside is that ceramic is brittle to begin with and easily cracks rather than flexing. Lastly, ceramics can be coated, treated and surface finished to make them much smoother than many other materials.

Your buddy's ceramic bearings were not referring to the entire bearing but simply the outer race having a ceramic insert. Making the entire thing out of ceramic would result in cracked bearing the first time you jumped or dropped the board. The thin insert decreases the friction in the system. They do the same thing in engines, transmissions, anything with rotating parts, really. A "ceramic" barrel is a sprayed-on ceramic-fleck coating. It's powdered ceramic and glue that they buff to get super-smooth. They scratch more easily, though. Carbon fiber is almost as smooth and with a better durability.

Ceramic bolts are NOT a good idea because first, it'll be heavier than a stainless bolt. Not by much, but heavier nonetheless. Also, the mainspring is likely to scratch the ceramic easily, weakening it structurally. It'll crack from there very easily. Lastly, it'll be more expensive to make them since you wouldn't sell many. Ceramic is not very machinable and the mold to make the bolts would be super-expensive for somethng of that complexity.

Aliens-8-MyDad
08-04-2005, 05:05 PM
wow nice explantion pumpplayer