PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your gun

MoserMan
12-03-2001, 12:31 PM
How do you guys clean your gun?

When you break a ball in your mag do you take off the valve and clean off the end that has that star shaped tip and wipe it?

Have any of you tried to gas up your gun and submerged it in water to clean it? Does this work and is it safe?

Daniel Morse
12-03-2001, 01:08 PM
If you break a ball in your mag during a game obviously just squeegee your barrel. Wait till after the game to take out the power feed plug and clean inside breach. It is not necessary to take your whole valve out until you get home and want to give it a thorough cleaning and oiling. You can dump it in water although I do not recommend it because you then have to worry about getting rust. Take the mag apart and use denatured alchohol on a paper towel on everything. Try not to use water unless you really want to. :) :D ;) :p

dawump
12-03-2001, 02:19 PM
I do the following:

1) Turn the power feed plug so that it stops ball flow
2) Shoot out the ball in the breech
3) Remove the barrel and pull through a squeegee and also clean the breech end on my shirt
4) If the balls in the elbow have paint on them I pull out the powerfeed and dump 10 balls.
5) I then squeegue the powerfeed tube.
6) I dry fire 5 times to clean some gunk off the bolt
7) Replace the barrel.

I HATE doing this much work, but anything less is just a compromise with the boomstick, which I find is really affected by paint in the barrel. I'd much rather spend two minutes doing this behind good cover and then know that I'm all set.

It doesn't happen very often.

Keith

MoserMan
12-04-2001, 12:24 PM
Thx alot both of you that was very insightful

Morse I have 2 questions:

What is de-natured alcohol and why do you specificlly use this?

Whats wrong with water?

What part of the auto mag rusts? I thought it was rust proof....I think:rolleyes:

Dawamp:

I'll try this next time a break. I also have a boomstick and it blows after a break and cleaning on field is tuff. I totally agree with you when you say find some cover and throughly clean rather then rushing cause I've tried that and...well it sucked

I just thought of something that might work great
The plastic tube with two rubber ends that came with your barrel can be used to clean your barrel. Fill it with water and insert the barrel. Just shake it around and pul out the clean barrel. Dry it off and your all set!:D

dawump
12-04-2001, 12:46 PM
Interesting thought with the tube!

That would clean out the ports too, although I don't usually worry about them - it blows out eventually.

The swab I use after the pullthrough is one of the big fluffy ones. Wooden stick with fluffyness at each end and a rubber join in the middle. It's good in that it absorbes as well as cleans although it turns into a big gooey mess pretty quick.

Keith

Failure
12-04-2001, 12:51 PM
I believe everything on a mag is made from stainless and aluminum.

dawump
12-04-2001, 12:54 PM
Its the coiled spring inside the regulator that can rust.

Once it is properly lubed you can fill the two OIL holes with vaseline to keep moisture out of this area. ( Tech tip I got on the phone from John at AGD ).

Keith

MoserMan
12-04-2001, 12:55 PM
Does anything rust?

PyRo
12-04-2001, 04:31 PM
DeNatured alchol is a fairly strong solvent. Kind of like really strong rubbing alchol. Oil, and some paint good sometimes don't come off with just water. The same reason you use soap to get the grease of dishes. The only part that can rust on you is the spring pack, and maybie the nubbin. Other than thats its all aluminum, SS, or Carbon Fiber.

Failure
12-04-2001, 04:37 PM
Carbon graphite :) You know, there is r/c car spray out there that is plastic friendly and takes off grease. May want to check the ingredients and try that but soap and water and windex should be just fine.