PDA

View Full Version : Tank Debate

The Mag Man
12-03-2001, 12:57 PM
I'm having a real problem here selecting a good N2 tank. The final decision has come down to either a PMI Pure Energy 68ci steel tank or a Crossfire 68ci steel tank. The PMI tank is $10 more than the Crossfire. Now I can't decide what tank to get because people I have talked to say that they have had some major problems with their Crossfire tanks including dropoff and eratic velocity. Yet people with the PMI tank say they have never had any problems at all. BUT, I talked to a tech from paintballgear.com and he said go with the Crossfire. I know the tanks themselves are the same, but its the regulator that concerns me. Which one is better and why? I just want my tank to give me good consistency right out of the box and not have to send it back for a different brand, thats why I ask.

toymyster
12-03-2001, 01:53 PM
If you are looking for a basic air tank, also look into ACI tanks!! They have better flow than either PMI or Crossfire!! I use on on my Retro and have seen no dropoff. Whereas I had dropoff from my PMI steel tank!!

dawump
12-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but before buying a steel tank feel the weight of it compared to a fiber wrapped one.

BIG difference.

I was in getting a fill in a local store the other day. I have a crossfire 44 3000 psi steel tank and I compared it in weight to a 66 4500 fiber wrapped tank.. ( aluminum, right? )..

NIGHT AND DAY!

I was so blown away by this that I'm going to get a new tank instead of the intelliframe because I think that the weight is affecting my game more than the trigger. Also my 44 is due for certification.

Looking at prices there is someone on ebay who sells new crossfire tanks daily. The 66 / 4500 tanks go for between $132 and $147 and that seems pretty good to me. The only thing is that the 4500 tanks description says it has a 4000 psi gauge, so I've emailed them asking what that is all about. He only accepts money orders which is the only down side - but at that price it seems OK.

Also, crossfire make a high and low pressure tank and we need the high pressure one for mags.. from his auction description that is what he sells most of the time. They are regulated to 800-900 psi.

Does anyone have experience with these tanks?

Keith

biggins
12-03-2001, 03:37 PM
I have a 88cu 3000psi crossfire tank never had a problem with it on my mini, phantom, or m98.

If your looking for a new tank, somewhere else on the board someone posted this link http://www.airamerica.com/specials.htm $250 for a 4500 raptor rex tank anysize