PDA

View Full Version : Are performance enhancing drugs part of paintball

Lohman446
08-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but lets look at the logic of paintball - at least some players

Its ok to wipe if it gets you ahead

Its ok to use gun cheats to get ahead (less so now with ramping available to everyone and legal in many places).

I'm sure there are others.

So here is a point to ponder. If some of these same players who have reached the top through use of other cheats (in addition to tremendous skills, I don't mean to take that away) were told they could be the supermen by taking a few pills a day - would they?

Which brings up the question - do you think performance enhancing drugs are present in paintball, or will they be in the future?

rkjunior303
08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but lets look at the logic of paintball - at least some players

Its ok to use gun cheats to get ahead (less so now with ramping available to everyone and legal in many places).

So here is a point to ponder. If some of these same players who have reached the top through use of other cheats (in addition to tremendous skills, I don't mean to take that away) were told they could be the supermen by taking a few pills a day - would they?

Which brings up the question - do you think performance enhancing drugs are present in paintball, or will they be in the future?

WHAT?

I'm sorry but this made me laugh.

Lohman446
08-08-2005, 06:54 PM
WHAT?

Laugh as in no way, or laugh as in, thats a stupid question of course they are?

hockeynoodles020
08-08-2005, 07:03 PM

What would they do? Most performance enhancing drugs help build muscle...muscle doesnt really make you faster, just stronger. Paintball isnt that demanding of a sport. Compared to other sports(hockey, football, baseball, soccer) paintball is very easy physically. So im curious as to what performance enhancing drugs would do for a paintballer? Im sure some players at one time took them...but i HIGHLY doubt it was for paintball. :rolleyes:

rkjunior303
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
As in no way.. I mean, c'mon..... Performance enhancing for what, finger speed?

Goldie D Pimp
08-08-2005, 07:07 PM
So you're saying sprinters don't use drugs?

I can think of a couple of olympic sprinters who got busted for drugs...

Lohman446
08-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I was thinking running speed - track stars are busted from time to time - now I grant Im not sure if they are sprinters or umm.. some track even involving strength - it was just an idea floating around in my mind.

rkjunior303
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
So you're saying sprinters don't use drugs?

I can think of a couple of olympic sprinters who got busted for drugs...

SPRINTERS use drugs but c'mon. the majority of paintball players aren't sprinters. Granted, speed is an important aspect of the game but I see it as highly unlikely.

Poeple will do whatever they can to gain an advantage but I just don't buy it.

webmstrk9
08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
hmm...from what I have seen and heard, I would think the drugs being used would performance INHIBITING... :tard:

Goldie D Pimp
08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
SPRINTERS use drugs but c'mon. the majority of paintball players aren't sprinters. Granted, speed is an important aspect of the game but I see it as highly unlikely.

Poeple will do whatever they can to gain an advantage but I just don't buy it.

I would say EDIT HECK yes "performance enhancing" drugs are used.

Do they do any good? Probably not any good that we'd see.

I do know guys that take paintball WAY TOO SERIOUSLY and will do anything they think may give them an edge.

I guarantee there are people who use roids and such thinking it will make their game better.

Is it widespread? Do the "pro's" do it? Who knows but I guarantee someone does.

MadPSIence
08-08-2005, 07:34 PM
with ramping, and now a barrel with adjustable curve.. why the heck would anyone need performance enhancing drugs? in 2 years, paintballers will sit in laz-boy chairs and shoot heat seeking balls at each other while signing 14 year old tits.

Jaan
08-08-2005, 07:45 PM
If you take the paintballers I know the only performance enhancing anything they ingest are boxes of donuts and the occasional beer.

Now, if you're talking about the D&D guys, it's all about the Mountain Dew ... those guys are hardcore. :headbang:

magman007
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Eh, i shoot black tar heroin between my toes, but thats the only drug i do.... although it does seem to make my fat arse run faster

tranman
08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
The distances that are run in paintball are not long enough to warrant any drug use. If drugs will make a .1 second in a 100m race, how would this help you in paintball when you don't even have to run 10m. Steroids aren't going to help you shoot any faster, the bigger your finger extensors and flexors get, you lose some fine motor control.

Last time I looked, the majority of adult paintballers were overweight, performance enhancing drugs aren't going to make a difference in paintball.

shartley
08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
The distances that are run in paintball are not long enough to warrant any drug use. If drugs will make a .1 second in a 100m race, how would this help you in paintball when you don't even have to run 10m. Steroids aren't going to help you shoot any faster, the bigger your finger extensors and flexors get, you lose some fine motor control.

Last time I looked, the majority of adult paintballers were overweight, performance enhancing drugs aren't going to make a difference in paintball.

But then wouldn’t diet pills be “performance enhancing”? ;)

So I guess my answer would be.... I sure hope so. :D

PBX Ronin 23
08-08-2005, 08:55 PM
In a culture where boundaries are constantly pushed to the edge and where winning isn't everything....it's the ONLY thing, you will at some juncture find steriod use in any athletic endeavor.

It may not be prevalent now in paintball but as the sport evolves where more of a premium is placed on athletic ability, I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear of the use of "performance enhancing" drugs.

My two copper coins.

funeralplanner
08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I've been putting some kind of cream on my trigger. Flaxseed oil I think. :dance:

My trigger is now HUGE, and VERY FAST.

All kidding aside, an advantage is just that, an advantage. Being faster down field, being able to concentrate more, due to not having to concentrate on running fast. You get the idea.....

Richter
08-08-2005, 09:05 PM
steroids help you take of your lock-tighted reg off your tank when doing it by hand in the airport.
Actually heard that about a guy that just might be doing "the juice". I saw him at a practice and he seems to be considerably faster than when i saw him 2 years ago. Maybe he has been training or maybe he is a juicer.

minimag03
08-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't think there is enough to be gained in the sport right now. The majority of drugs being used is in a leauge where money is at stake. Without that payoff at the end, I'd say most players don't bother. I'm not saying there isn't people crazy enough to do it though.

VFX_Fenix
08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I dunno about "performance enhancing" at the time being, I can see it being an issue at a later date if the sport actually gains the sort of status that Football or Baseball have here in the USA, but apart from that I'm sure that someone's used PED's at some point in Paintball.

Now if you wanna talk about drugs in general... yeah... I've seen more people smoking bowls and tossin' back brews, on the field at times no less, in the last year than I have in the previous 6 combined.

JRingold
08-09-2005, 12:00 AM
I agree, as I don't think the pharmaceuticals being used by paintball players are intended to be performance enhancing, more like mood enhancing. But only for medicinal purposes, like treating my catarax... :wow: :p :cool: :cheers:

You really have to watch out for those guys who work at the Orange Julius or Jamba Juice places, they really know how to get the juice... :spit_take

BobTheCow
08-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Eh, i shoot black tar heroin between my toes, but thats the only drug i do.... although it does seem to make my fat arse run faster
Never have I ever... done black tar heroin! :ninja:

ultralight
08-09-2005, 01:16 AM
steroids not only build muscle, but with the proper training regimen and diet, can melt fat and help "tone" muscles. some say that paintball isn't big enough to warrant the use of steroids but i think that that is the perfect cover. there are cash prizes at stake, so the motivation is definitely there, but most people, most importantly the ones who matter, wouldn't think that paintball is "big" enough to merrit steroid use. the fact is that steroids are more prolific than most of the general public can fathom. i've seen highschool and even middleschool (that's right, 8th grade) athletes who have used steroids. most people have seen steroid users and never even suspected it. i'm willing to bet that 75% of all men's health cover models have used one cycle of anabolic steroids. i know, they're not the hulking gorillas that we were all taught to look for when spotting juicers. but that's just it... you don't have to get all big and nasty looking. the mr. olympia types that you see have done several cycles and trained non stop as a profession. but the underwear models have only done one cycle to burn the fat and expose those washboard abs.

do i think that there are paintballers who use steroids? probably. but i doubt that many, if any, are using them specifically to enhance their paintballing ability.

do i think that it is or will become a widespread problem? probably not. let's face it, these guys need to stay lean, all they need is one $1500 cycle and they should be set for years to come.

edit: great to have you posting again lohman, i always enjoy your topics. and congrats on your 2nd place IAO win.

Duzzy
08-09-2005, 01:17 AM
I was reading a hunting magazine, it is probably long gone by now but they mentioned a type of drug that would be very useful in paintball.

I don't know what it does, or how it does it but it makes hunters get "on track" faster. It basically speeds up their reactions to a certain extent. It is something English and I don't know anything about it really, but if it exists it might be the next problem.

Maybe I shouldn't even bring it up, but if I don't someone else will.

behemoth
08-09-2005, 01:39 AM
WHAT?

this is as far as i read.

I agree, gotta be the stupidest comment evar.

"Gotta make that 50! gotta get the pull! QUICK, ELEPHANT GROWTH HORMONES!!"

gc82000
08-09-2005, 01:51 AM
I think it is not really roids that are the enhancing drugs of PB, more like Red Bull and other energy drinks.

behemoth
08-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I think it is not really roids that are the enhancing drugs of PB, more like Red Bull and other energy drinks.

http://ieatcrayons4.tripod.com/lg-bawls.jpg

Automaggot68
08-09-2005, 02:34 AM
While I understand that you're probabaly talking about Roids, or things of that nature....
I thought I'd add this.
Way back when, I was addicted to a variety of illegal substances, one of them being Methamphetamine.**
I'd sometimes play paintball while under the influence of said substance, and it didn't not improve my perfornce at all.
Opinions may vary.

**I have since cleaned up my act, everything is peachy keen, kiddo's.

Teamslayer76
08-09-2005, 05:05 AM

Lohman, I'm sorry but I disagree with you. I don't know any players "locally" that cheat like that. We all use semi auto and never have to my knowledge whiped. We call ourselves out if we see the paint. At the field there might be a whiper once a day, but never a Rampin/Full Auto cheater.

As for steroids I doubt it. But I'm sure people have thought of it and have tried it.

Tyger
08-09-2005, 05:43 AM
There's an over the counter medication that's WADA banned that effectively increases your body's ability to process oxygen in the lungs. I know of at least one tournament player who has taken this drug regularly, and he says it increased his stamina through a day of play. He said the last game of the day feels like the first game, he was just as fresh off the line and not fatigued.

So yes, there are players taking performance enhancing drugs. There are also players taking recreational drugs as well, but that's not important.

Lohman446
08-09-2005, 06:17 AM
While I understand that you're probabaly talking about Roids, or things of that nature....
I thought I'd add this.
Way back when, I was addicted to a variety of illegal substances, one of them being Methamphetamine.**
I'd sometimes play paintball while under the influence of said substance, and it didn't not improve my perfornce at all.
Opinions may vary.

You stumbled across what I was thinking - actually I was thinking I beleive its Adderall (sp) a prescription form of meth. Abused it has all the "benefits" of meth along with the side effects. I'm thinking making someone more alert for instance. While otehr muscle building drugs may be an issue with proper training. I agree with those that have said there may not be some massive gain (you say none) but I think that people are willing to win at any cost, and sometimes those are small edges. I'm thinking when I'm watching X-ball and the breaks to the corners, a step or two is a big difference....

Mr. Mouse
08-09-2005, 08:12 AM
what kind of drug would you be talking about? adderal or addredalin to make them concentrate? steroids to make them faster and stronger? because other than that i dont know what kind of drug a player would take but im sure it will happen in the near future if paintball gets big enough where the world is watching or alot of people.

hitech
08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
what kind of drug would you be talking about? adderal or addredalin to make them concentrate?

I always found (naturally occurring) adrenalin to be a hindrance. At least in large quantities. My first game of the day (especially I a tournament) was always the worst. It was hard to concentrate until the adrenalin production slowed down. Now that I don't take the game very seriously, it's not a problem. :D

onedude36
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Tyger:
There's an over the counter medication that's WADA banned that effectively increases your body's ability to process oxygen in the lungs. I know of at least one tournament player who has taken this drug regularly, and he says it increased his stamina through a day of play. He said the last game of the day feels like the first game, he was just as fresh off the line and not fatigued.

That deffinately sounds 'performance enhancing', in fact I would probably benefit alot from it seeing as I have asthma and loving X ball. I doubt that is a good idea though, it sounds like a short cut, and endurace training would probably be better for you.

FSU_Paintball
08-09-2005, 02:33 PM
If you consider weed to be a performance enhancing drug, then yes, many paintball players partake :)

I'm sure there's people who do stuff like what Tyger said, but I think it's a minority. Most stuff like steroids won't help you too much. And even if people do, I really don't think from a "being fair" standpoint that most people would really care. Paintball isn't always about how big and strong you are, and people already do crazy (legal) things to get themselves in "game shape"

Cameo
08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
You stumbled across what I was thinking - actually I was thinking I beleive its Adderall (sp) a prescription form of meth. Abused it has all the "benefits" of meth along with the side effects. I'm thinking making someone more alert for instance. While otehr muscle building drugs may be an issue with proper training. I agree with those that have said there may not be some massive gain (you say none) but I think that people are willing to win at any cost, and sometimes those are small edges. I'm thinking when I'm watching X-ball and the breaks to the corners, a step or two is a big difference....

Buddy, i am sorry but i think you are subcomed with Adoral. when used properly it does give you energy and help you stay awake ect. but on those who do not need it, it can cause extreem light headedness as well as jitters. Unless you are narcoleptic stay away from it. I imagine it will do more harm then good.

As for other "speed" type drugs, I wouldn't dowbt if someone whould use those to enhance thier game. the only thing with those is that they can mess up the aim. Would you rather be fast or accurate?

Automaggot68
08-09-2005, 06:51 PM

Aderall, yeah. I've had some experience when I was a child. Before Gym class I'd pop a few of them, in order to give myself a small performence boost during our morning run.
I abused it yes, but I obtained for my 'diagnosed' ADD/ADHD. Blah. Some of the worst years of my life. 50mg of that stuff while didn't compare to Meth, it was overwhelming the things I could do with it. The results afterward were sometimes not worth it, vomiting, nausea, dry mouth, etc.

I was an overweight kid looking to get an edge, I wanted to run the mile run in less than ten minutes.

JRingold
08-10-2005, 11:20 PM
I was an overweight kid looking to get an edge, I wanted to run the mile run in less than ten minutes.

Define over-weight? When I was 14 I weighed in for freshman football at about 230 and I still hit a 7 minute mile. Even now at 300 and twice+ that age, I still make it in 8.

Probably why I never felt the desire for performance enhancement, well except behind closed doors with a girl. X, that's the way to go.

Not trying to judge. Just trying to understand. There were a some people I knew back then who were on the juice and probably more that I didn't know, or didn't want to. Some of the drawbacks, just didn't seem worth it. Especially since none of them made it past high school athletics.

Automaggot68
08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Define over-weight? When I was 14 I weighed in for freshman football at about 230 and I still hit a 7 minute mile. Even now at 300 and twice+ that age, I still make it in 8.

Probably why I never felt the desire for performance enhancement, well except behind closed doors with a girl. X, that's the way to go.

Not trying to judge. Just trying to understand. There were a some people I knew back then who were on the juice and probably more that I didn't know, or didn't want to. Some of the drawbacks, just didn't seem worth it. Especially since none of them made it past high school athletics.

well, after I hit my growth spurts, grew into it.
Joined (J)ROTC, The Wrestling Team, football, etc. Lost everything, gained some back.

I was like...200 in the seventh grade?

JRingold
08-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Would you rather be fast or accurate?

Is that a trick question? If I'm shooting fast enough, I am being accurate, right? Accuracy by volume?? Isn't that how tournaments are played?

JRingold
08-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I was like...200 in the seventh grade?

Ditto, I was prevented from playing pop-warner football in seventh and eighth. It sucked. I blame those two years on why I never made it to pro-football. Hey, when you're a failure at something like that, someone or something else always has to take the blame, right?