That was frippin' cool.

FreakBaller12
08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Go hornets! Stupid bees, I hate bees.

That was frippin' cool.
yea I'd rather be attacked by 30 hornets than 30,000 bees. :p

Jaan
08-09-2005, 12:42 PM
The scary part is that human history is just like that ... the guys who come into a new land, slaughter everyone including the children are the ones who survive. Look around you, your ancestors were just like that.

Kai
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
The scary part is that human history is just like that ... the guys who come into a new land, slaughter everyone including the children are the ones who survive. Look around you, your ancestors were just like that.

That's pretty deep, brother!!!

CKY_Alliance
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
O **** there called giant hornets..we had a nest of them in my backyard that wouldnt go away and we had no idea what they where just that they were huge and had stingers..those things are insanse but they seem to be more calm then other bees and such.

B.A.M.
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow thoes hornets owned at first i though it was fake but guess it was real

Echo419
08-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Amazing Futage.

DWill
08-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Can't see the video for some reason, but I imagine they are Japanese hornets. Here is a cool articles about them.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1025_021025_GiantHornets.html

http://www.vespa-crabro.de/manda.htm

bam wannabe
08-10-2005, 04:32 AM
so basically the hornets are the nazis, and the honey bees are the jews...

thats how i see it anyways

Jonneh
08-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Are all american nature shows presented like this? As in, do you chaps have such short attention spans that unless a show is called something like 'Worlds Killiest Hornets' or 'The Hiveocaust' that it just doesn't get seen. We don't need the dramatic music as the brave bees defend their humble home and the savage hornets that rape and plunder it.

Over here we enjoy our occasional nature shows but for the most part they just inform, if you havn't seen it yet, see if you can get your hands on the Blue Planet DVD set, it's amazing, also it shows a whale getting mugged by some orcas.

edit: It was some pretty cool footage, but the commentary and presentation made it feel a bit silly.

Arson51
08-10-2005, 05:52 AM
I wonder what would be the result when hornets attack a nest of africanized bees. Anything from Africa is going to be stronger and nastier than anywhere else.

Bolter
08-10-2005, 06:23 AM
I wonder what would be the result when hornets attack a nest of africanized bees. Anything from Africa is going to be stronger and nastier than anywhere else.

Im fairly certain the hornets would still take them.

Jaan
08-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Are all american nature shows presented like this?Nahhhh ... there are so many nature shows and documentaries done by so many producers and directors they're all very different. We have entire channels that show almost nothing but documentaries ... I'm watching one now on X-Rays on the History channel. I also work on the powering systems for many of these films, like the Imax film "Everest". If you really want to see something cheesy though, try finding something called "When Animals Attack" made by the Fox network :rolleyes:

Does anyone here remember a series of documentaries called "Trails of Life" narrated by Richard Attenborough? That was probably the best nature show ever. It showed parallels between what animals go through, and what we go through. Oh yeah, and they had Killer Whales attacking seals on the shore, Sharks eating Birds stuff like that too (c:

so basically the hornets are the nazis, and the honey bees are the jews...

thats how i see it anywaysI saw it as more like Spanish Conquistadors and the Aztecs, Europeans and Native Americans. The Nazis did a lot of damage, but the rest of us kinda said ... uh, no. They didn't end up winning, but they came close.

Pballwizz
08-10-2005, 07:37 AM
WHOA! That was hella cool. I put it to music (Breathe by The Prodigy) and it was awesome!

Echo419
08-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Children Children.. there just bees.

Lohman446
08-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Are all american nature shows presented like this? As in, do you chaps have such short attention spans that unless a show is called something like 'Worlds Killiest Hornets' or 'The Hiveocaust' that it just doesn't get seen. We don't need the dramatic music as the brave bees defend their humble home and the savage hornets that rape and plunder it.

Only on FOX :D

Echo419
08-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Didnt you see the credits at the end of the movie... made by Miramax :nono:

CaptaiN_JacK
08-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I saw almost the exact same show on the discovery channel or something of that sort. What they didn't show you is how the bees counter the hornets' attack. The hornets have to find the hive before they can attack it, so they send scouts out looking for them. This is where the bees only chance of survival lies. They all swarm the scout hornet and attatch onto it's body, bringing it to the ground. Then a massive amount of bees join in and completely cover the hornet. The hornets can only survive, let's say a 100 degree body temperature, while the bees can survive, and heat themselves, up to 103 degrees (not the right temperatures, but close enough for you to get the point). They vibrate their wings/bodies to heat themselves up, and it eventually gets so hot that it kills the hornet. The hornets can't attack a hive if they don't know where it is!

Thordic
08-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Captain Jack, if you read those links up above, only the japanese honeybees are capable of the "thermal defense" where they ball up and overheat the hornet to death, the european honeybees have no such defenses.

CaptaiN_JacK
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I always knew the japanese were better than the europeans.

MoneyShot
08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
that clip was awesome. Next time i have a honeybees nest in my yard im going to hire me some hornets.

PsychoBaller
08-10-2005, 11:24 AM
DAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGG !!! Hornets are crazy warrior mofos.... you'd think the bees with they numbers would win... :shooting:

CKY_Alliance
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
that clip was awesome. Next time i have a honeybees nest in my yard im going to hire me some hornets.

Not a good idea the venom in the japense giant hornet can deteriorate(sp?) human flesh...if not trated that and there stinger is about a quarter inch long.

Yea i read that thing on national geographic webpage and im glad i never got stung...anyone know if there are any other type of giant hornets or just the japanese type?

Big'n slo
08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
'Give me five bees for a quarter,' you’d say.
"Now where were we? Oh yeah -- the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.
They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Enraged Monk
08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
'Give me five bees for a quarter,' you’d say.
"Now where were we? Oh yeah -- the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.
They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

IM SO CONFUSED...

TDonovan
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I hate hornets. Bees are cool with me because they make honey. A couple summers ago I had 2 encounters with yellow jackets/hornets (or wasp). I KNOW the first was with yellowjackets because they had made their home in my tree's stump and I google'd it. It killed the tree, and when I stepped on a hole (thought it was a chipmunk hole) they swarmed. I ran like crazy and came back with tons of poison. Killed all of them and later my dog ate the poisoned yellowjackets. He was fine though.

The next week I drove into my garage only to find that there were tons of hornets/wasps buzzing around. They were concentrated all above my car and when I got out I was again swarmed. I ran into the house and came back about 40 minutes later only to find about 50 dead bugs laying on the ground.

Good thing they tried to make a nest in the garage light, and good thing I left it on when I closed the door.

dann
08-10-2005, 11:08 PM
This is pissing me off!! :mad: I can hear the sound but there is no image. Someone know what the hell is goin on?

-Dan

Jaan
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
IM SO CONFUSED...Back then onions cost a nickle, and nickles had pictures of bumblebees on them (c:

matt-o
08-11-2005, 01:10 PM

Over here we enjoy our occasional nature shows but for the most part they just inform, if you havn't seen it yet, see if you can get your hands on the Blue Planet DVD set, it's amazing, also it shows a whale getting mugged by some orcas.

edit: It was some pretty cool footage, but the commentary and presentation made it feel a bit silly.
british tv sucks

matt-o
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
I hate hornets. Bees are cool with me because they make honey. A couple summers ago I had 2 encounters with yellow jackets/hornets (or wasp). I KNOW the first was with yellowjackets because they had made their home in my tree's stump and I google'd it. It killed the tree, and when I stepped on a hole (thought it was a chipmunk hole) they swarmed. I ran like crazy and came back with tons of poison. Killed all of them and later my dog ate the poisoned yellowjackets. He was fine though.

The next week I drove into my garage only to find that there were tons of hornets/wasps buzzing around. They were concentrated all above my car and when I got out I was again swarmed. I ran into the house and came back about 40 minutes later only to find about 50 dead bugs laying on the ground.

Good thing they tried to make a nest in the garage light, and good thing I left it on when I closed the door.
awesome story