PDA

View Full Version : how to workout for paintball?

FreakBaller12
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Alright, I finally joined a serious team and need to get into shape. I'm not overweight, I jsut need to get back into shape.
I was thinking 5 mile every other day?
Our team is going to do suicides with all our gear on
Situps, pushups
What else?

CKY_Alliance
08-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Yea i would say just run...but why not like 2 or 3 miles everyday..instead of 5 every other?I guess it would work out the same way but then again every other day would give your body a rest..ehh if it was everyday it will probably be easier to make a habit of it (for lack of better terms).

Webby
08-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Make sure to stretch before AND after every run. Start a slow jog at first, then after a week speed it up a little bit, and continue. Do not, and I repeat do not go into a full throttle run in your first week of training, that is a good way to pull and even tear muscles and ligaments.

If you've ever been on a team in any other sport (Hockey, Soccer, Basketball, Track and Field, etc) they will have taught you the proper ways to stretch, warm up, and train yourself. I find training in Track and Field is perfect, especially sprinting and medium distance. Even the Field events, such as the Shotputt or Discus build upper body strength and make it that much easier to move your marker around and snap shoot.

My advice for a good workout routine, every other morning stretch and do a two mile jog. Once your used to that, begin to wear your pod pack and throw on some weight, 5-10lbs at the start should simulate what it will feel like to run around an Airball field with equipment on. Ankle weights also work awesome at making you more agile.

For Upper and Middle body strength, push-ups can't be beat for their effectiveness while not using any equipment. Start at 10 pushups every other morning, and slowly increase the number you do. Sit-ups also can not be forgotten, do those five minutes after you do your pushups, start with 10 and move your way up.

That is just a very basic training method that works wonders at getting you prepped for, in this case, paintball at the tournament level.

Hope this helps

FreakBaller12
08-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much, just what I was looking for. :D

Carbon
08-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I hear plyometrics is really good for agility.

Also try looking into yoga for flexibility

MadPSIence
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I probably work out about as much as AFTICA.

that being said, it's Miller time. :headbang:

slade
08-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I probably work out about as much as AFTICA.
...yet AFTICA is still so much better than you.

Puckz
08-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Plyometrics are good for explosive power. I do a lot of it in boxing training. Something that may help in paintball would be to bend your knees together and then from the low position jump as high as you can, when you land let your knees fall into the same position and once you reach bottom jump again right away, do this 10-15 times. I wouldn't suggest any weights when doing this, plyometrics can be dangerous if you aren't carefull and ease into it, you will be putting a lot of pressure on your joints.

This type of exercise will make you faster out of the box and should help with moving quickly. One set a day for a few weeks should be plenty, don't try and do a lot at first or it will be counterproductive.

brianlojeck
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Wind sprints and squats or lunges.

You'll never run 2 miles in a paintball game, but you will run 30 feet again and again and again and again and again.

in fact, if I were in any kind of shape, I'd do suicides with a few squats at each end of the run.

Automaggot68
08-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Play paintball, and post Regularly on www.livejournal.com.

FreakBaller12
08-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Play paintball, and post Regularly on www.livejournal.com.
lol, sweetness, I need somewhere to let my emo-ness out.

Yea I'll try those plyos, sound like they'll help me alot.
I'm going to work on the sprints, I just need to get my legs and body back into shape first, that's why I'm running the 2 miles daily.

Automaggot68
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
lol, sweetness, I need somewhere to let my emo-ness out.

Yea I'll try those plyos, sound like they'll help me alot.
I'm going to work on the sprints, I just need to get my legs and body back into shape first, that's why I'm running the 2 miles daily.

You rule.
No, Im serious.

FreakBaller12
08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
You rule.
No, Im serious.
Nice, I've finally achieved my dream of e-coolness :cool:

funeralplanner
08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
If it were me, I would run sprints. 50 yds or so. With short periods of rest inbetween.

This is what I would do.

Start out with 6 60 yd sprints. 20 sec rest between sprints.

Then move up to 8, 10 and so.

You might even throw in some 30yd sprints too.

stondroopy
08-11-2005, 01:29 AM
what about grab the bacon?

Webby
08-11-2005, 03:37 AM
You can not focus just on sprinting, you must also build stamina and that is where the two mile run comes in. It's great that you can sprint 30 yards easily, but times that by the countless number of games you have in the run of a tournament with the limited time between games and you can get worn down easily.

In Track and Field, they had everyone do 2 laps around the track, regardless of your event. I, being in the Throwing Events, had thought that focusing just on my upper body was key to winning, man was I wrong. These laps around the track that I thought we're pointless are actually building my cardiovascular system, allowing me to to train harder, longer, and do each of my events with the same energy I had from the first throw.

Food for Thought