PDA

View Full Version : So i've been out of the game for a few years...

Resurection
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
...and I come back to chaos all around.

Simply put, I have a few questions for people that have been involved with pb over the past 6+ years.

1. I have noticed little to no love at the stores and fields around Tampa Bay for anything AGD. WTF happened? Has the electro-revolution totally overstepped awesome engineering?

2. One particular store owner gave me nightmare like stories about AGD being bankrupt and out of business (despite a functioning webstore and this site).

3. Are there any magazines, websites, tournaments, fields, anything that hasn't completely subsided to feeling that the cheating ways of our game are just the way it is and chivalry and honor are dead?

I was forced out of the game about 5 years ago due to work, family, etc. and sold my Classic and gear to feed the baby. It took me 9 months to get over the withdrawal and I have worked hard to try and ignore the expensive hobby I once loved. So I play a few hours of rec ball with a hockey buddy and the bug has bitten me hard.

I have a line on a decent RT deal that will get me back in the game. But having read a few of the latest mags, sites, etc. I am wondering if getting back in the game is a good move?

Thus my name - Resurection - as I plan to pull old friends back in and form a psychotic-happy tourney team that uses only mechanical markers and plays fair. I am going to try to do my part, will you?

Resurection

Captain Canuck
08-11-2005, 11:06 PM
There are many facets to the game. You can go tourney and enjoy all the trials and tribulations that go along with it.

You can stick with recball, and just enjoy the play, and love of the game.

Scenario play is good as well, they are always good to just go out too...

As far as the anti-mag revolution going on, that has been going on for years... thats what happens when companies have oodles of money to throw at the player in the form of magazines and exclusive selling at the local proshop to get better pricing.

Miscue
08-12-2005, 02:51 AM
1. Something like that.
2. That's been said for years... Tom Kaye has however retired from paintball and no longer does day-to-day operations at AGD.
3. Owner's Group Division at IAO... scenarios... AO events... assorted stuff... those break the mold and are more like the good days of paintball.

That's cool... I've been thinking of doing mech only as well... that is... if I decide to play again.

Maggot6
08-12-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm going stock class, mostly because I don't think I could stand the tourny scene, or the people associated with it. All the electro "bull manure" going around is kind of annoying, and within mechplay, all everyone is trying to do is get an electro trigger, or just a light feeling one. Bah. nonsense.

DiRTyBuNNy
08-12-2005, 06:59 AM
1. Something like that.
2. That's been said for years... Tom Kaye has however retired from paintball and no longer does day-to-day operations at AGD.
3. Owner's Group Division at IAO... scenarios... AO events... assorted stuff... those break the mold and are more like the good days of paintball.

That's cool... I've been thinking of doing mech only as well... that is... if I decide to play again.

quoted for truth...

Resurection
08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
1. Bummer.
2. So TK is out, but AGD is still operating as normal as it can.
3. Not as much as I had hoped. But at least there is something.

I have seen on a few boards that IAO was a let down this year. Due to a lack of industry support. I've also seen a lot of comment on the sue-happy industry. Who is going after who for what? I can't seem to find any details as to what the griping is about.

-Resurection

bigpoppa7979
08-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Same kinda thing happened to me. I got out when my kids were small, because of the money. Now my boys are old enough to play, I go out once to play some rec with them, and I'm hooked again. I call my friend I sold my original mag to, and bought it back, still thinking that it was a top-notch gun. Only to find out that mags garner little respect these days.

I do LOVE going to a field and holding my own against 17 year olds. They ask me "what kind of gun is that", or "that thing is so quiet I didn't even hear you shooting at me" :) My response is "it's just an old automag, I won't worry about it if I were you"

Spartan X
08-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I think a mechanical division for the owners divition would be cool.

SCpoloRicker
08-12-2005, 10:20 AM
well... that is... if I decide to play again.

I need an old priest and a young priest!

You know you'll be playing select events Brian... :ninja:

Lee
08-12-2005, 11:33 AM
i'm in zephyrhills, where are you playing at?

i play all over the tampa bay/lakeland/plant city area.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76029

NoForts4Me
08-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I am wondering if getting back in the game is a good move?I will address this question: YES. I had a 6-7 year layout, and since I started playing again a few years back, I wished I had never left the sport. Some things to keep in mind, since paintball has segmented and grown so much:

1. Ignore the "politics" of paintball if you want to just play and have a good time. If you go on different forums, each one will tell you how you should play, what equipment you should play with, what companies you can associate with, and if you don't like their way you're a bad person. Make your own decisions, and play with what you are most comfortable with. The same applies to politics at the field as well.

2. Play with people you enjoy playing with. If your playing with or around jerks, you aren't going to have a good time. Get your group of friends back together, and even if you can't always play around others who are as honorable and sportsmanlike, having a core group that is will set an example and you will still have a good time. If you find yourself angry when you leave a certain field, change fields...there's always another one somewhere.

3. Try out the different segments of paintball if you can (ie: recball, renegade, tourney, scenario, etc.) and see what you like best.

4. Play, play, play.

Using myself as an example, I will be playing for the first time ever with an electronic gun in a couple of weeks. I just want to see how I like it. Even though I'm old-ish (compared to the kids), I also want to play in a tourney again just for the competition. I also have a nice Sniper II Pump that I split time with no matter what semi I have. Pump play is always fun for me.

Anyway, Welcome back and enjoy!

Resurection
08-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks... and for the record I am working on getting a mag or RT again. In the meantime I got a sweat deal on a cheap *** VL Prodigy E-Grip ($30) so I, too will be trying the electronic world. Of course I am playing the lowest of low end electro's it's still a big change from my old classic mag. :) 2.6lb trigger to 20ish ounce pull is a huge change.

I also might get myself on of those ION's cause they are cheap and from all accounts a really decent tourney level marker. Something to whip out when the kids just won't stop staring at my museum peice mag. :D

-Resurection

Commissar_Loki
08-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok Ion time. DO NOT buy this. Ok their cheap and fast, thing is, the macro fittings are junk. The barbs in the marker are junk. Their made cheaply imho. Get a Wrath or something if your looking electro. Thats just my opinion on those from the ones we've sold at my shop. IF you decide to get one, change the reg out, most of them creep, spike, or generally aren't very good, and since thats what controls your FPS... its important, Also it has mad drop off apparantly. Most people I have seen that change it use the Evil detonator and they love it. Just my input on it, don't want you to spend $250+ on a marker that'l be problematic.,... if that was the case buy a cocker :D

-Butch

punkncat
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I will definately have to look some of you Tampa area players up next time I come down in December. I was down over the 4th. A buddy and I went to Orbital Paintball in Tampa. We ended up not even playing the field looked so rough.

Lee
08-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I will definately have to look some of you Tampa area players up next time I come down in December. I was down over the 4th. A buddy and I went to Orbital Paintball in Tampa. We ended up not even playing the field looked so rough.

pm me when you come down!

onedude36
08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Ok Ion time. DO NOT buy this. Ok their cheap and fast, thing is, the macro fittings are junk. The barbs in the marker are junk. Their made cheaply imho. Get a Wrath or something if your looking electro. Thats just my opinion on those from the ones we've sold at my shop. IF you decide to get one, change the reg out, most of them creep, spike, or generally aren't very good, and since thats what controls your FPS... its important, Also it has mad drop off apparantly. Most people I have seen that change it use the Evil detonator and they love it. Just my input on it, don't want you to spend $250+ on a marker that'l be problematic.,... if that was the case buy a cocker :D

-Butch

Im with this guy. Wrath > ion in my humble opinion.

Resurection
08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Im with this guy. Wrath > ion in my humble opinion.

Well I had the chance to trade some non-pb merch in my closet for the ION so it was a decent offer at the time... but someone came in and overtook the offer by giving up cash for the ION so I am back to broke and no trader interested. :(

Aslan
08-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I think a mechanical division for the owners divition would be cool.

I've said the same thing. I would love to see a mechanical division...electros are annoying me.

minimag03
08-14-2005, 01:22 PM
When you say a good deal on an RT, what do you mean? Mag prices are very low these days, and you can get a working RT for around $175.

I know it's a trip for you, but Orlando Paintball has about all the mag parts you could ever want. Last time I was there they had an X-Mag, Hypermag, and a couple mechs.

Resurection
08-14-2005, 01:48 PM
When you say a good deal on an RT, what do you mean? Mag prices are very low these days, and you can get a working RT for around $175.

I know it's a trip for you, but Orlando Paintball has about all the mag parts you could ever want. Last time I was there they had an X-Mag, Hypermag, and a couple mechs.

Deal is: RT, two HPS tanks, two Revvy's, 4+1 pack, some misc stuff for $150-200 depending on smaller items. So it's a good deal still.

OP isn't too far, I have friends in Orl i visit often, and my company has an office there so I have excuse to go every now and then. Didn't know they had a bunch of Mag stuff though, that's good to know.