PDA

View Full Version : video card question will mine work with games like half life 2, doom3, Battlefield 2?

atm743
08-12-2005, 02:55 AM
ok well im getting my laptop this monday and i want to get into pc games.

heres the computer info

- Compaq Presario R4000
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ (2.0GHz/512KB L2 Cache)
- 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
- 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
- 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
- 100 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
- LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW&CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
- 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money

i want to get the games like half life 2, doom 3, battlefeild 2 and i dont know much about video cards and want to know if i will be able to play them on my computer set up?

heres a link to ati's site with my card info

http://www.ati.com/products/Radeonxpress200m/index.html

quik
08-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Maybe, probably not with high settings.

Eagle
08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
yeah, to get a decent performance, you'll need to crank your video settings down to fairly low levels probably. I know I have a higher processor but similar specs beyond that, I can run HL2 at a medium-high level, BF2 at a low-medium level, but have to run D3 at a very low graphics level to get decent frame rates. However I have a friend with almost identical specs to mine, including the same graphics card as mine, and he had to run HL2 at low levels and D3 could run at high levels. So, it's really hit or miss.

thecavemankevin
08-12-2005, 11:31 AM
yeah, to get a decent performance, you'll need to crank your video settings down to fairly low levels probably. I know I have a higher processor but similar specs beyond that, I can run HL2 at a medium-high level, BF2 at a low-medium level, but have to run D3 at a very low graphics level to get decent frame rates. However I have a friend with almost identical specs to mine, including the same graphics card as mine, and he had to run HL2 at low levels and D3 could run at high levels. So, it's really hit or miss.

yeah, i have a gforce 5200 128, running a P4 2.4 with at the time 512 ddr and was able to run Doom3 on mid-high settings where as far cry and bf2 i have to run low-mid. :confused:

atm743
08-12-2005, 11:42 AM
yeah, i have a gforce 5200 128, running a P4 2.4 with at the time 512 ddr and was able to run Doom3 on mid-high settings where as far cry and bf2 i have to run low-mid. :confused:

ok wait

im new to this video stuff

what do you mean by these settings??

like how do i mess with them and also

I GOT THE LAPTOP TODAY !!! :D

i fed ex tracking ## said that it will get to me monday but my father woke me up today saying guess what came in the mail. im like WAA WHOO

the only thing is that im poor at the moment and cant buy any computer games :(

well i have a 5 man tournement tomorrow and the top three teams will get cash prizes !! soo im going to kick butt tomorrow :D

Gitaroo Man
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I doubt you will be able to run BF2 very well at all..should have a 256mb video card, not a 128

lopxtc
08-12-2005, 01:37 PM
I have a 128Meg video card (GeForce 6600GT AGP model) and I run it on straight medium with a couple high settings and I have no problems at all.

Aaron

I doubt you will be able to run BF2 very well at all..should have a 256mb video card, not a 128

atm743
08-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a 128Meg video card (GeForce 6600GT AGP model) and I run it on straight medium with a couple high settings and I have no problems at all.

Aaron

cool that sounds good for me

really im dieing to play half life 2 because im a hugh fan of the first one.

for doom 3 i plaied it on xbox and its is fun but the graphics suck on xbox and one of my buds at school says that hes brother has it for computer and the graphics on the computer are amazing

i was going to try out battlefeild 2 to try something different.

now if unreal champieanchip 2 the liandri confilct was on pc i would be playing it now :D hehe

but please somebody help me with this settings. what do you mean by medium and high settings and how do i change them??

lmk thanks

Hexis
08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
The settings are in game. There is a "Video" menu that has a large number of different settings, and usually has a simple slider for a few default setups (low, medium, high, crazy...). Use Low and see if you are happy. "Medium" will look nicer, but be slower. It's up to you to find the balance between fast frame rates and image quality that's ok for you.

Just a warning the amount of ram on the video card is not nearly as important as the CPU. The card lopxtc has is a much higher powered card/chip than what you have. You may need to lower the quality setting to get acceptable performace on your setup. That's going to be generally true of laptops, they have lower performance (lower power consumpion) components, otherwise your battery would last all of 5 minutes.

atm743
08-12-2005, 02:34 PM
The settings are in game. There is a "Video" menu that has a large number of different settings, and usually has a simple slider for a few default setups (low, medium, high, crazy...). Use Low and see if you are happy. "Medium" will look nicer, but be slower. It's up to you to find the balance between fast frame rates and image quality that's ok for you.

Just a warning the amount of ram on the video card is not nearly as important as the CPU. The card lopxtc has is a much higher powered card/chip than what you have. You may need to lower the quality setting to get acceptable performace on your setup. That's going to be generally true of laptops, they have lower performance (lower power consumpion) components, otherwise your battery would last all of 5 minutes.

oooo ok i see

now do you think thouse that the cpu (procesor) that i have with the amout of computer ram and my kind of graphics card will work with the games i said?? i just have to mess with the video settings??

Hexis
08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, you should be ok. You have a nice fast CPU. A decent amount of ram (I'm a ram whore, so I like a lil more). You should be fine for the current generation of games, and any future ones based on the same engines (most will be).

atm743
08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, you should be ok. You have a nice fast CPU. A decent amount of ram (I'm a ram whore, so I like a lil more). You should be fine for the current generation of games, and any future ones based on the same engines (most will be).

sweet

i was getting worried :D

well right when i get some cash im going to go out and get half life 2 and battlefeild 2

now an other question

should i get a dvd rom game or the orginal one??

wich is better cuse i dont know wich battelfeild 2 and half life verstion ??

Hexis
08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
May as well get the DVD version. Less discs to think about. As for HL I would strongly suggest getting it via Steam. The Silver package is the best bang/buck setup, and you can't buy it in stores. You will end up downloading the majority of the content via steam anyways.

atm743
08-12-2005, 03:09 PM
May as well get the DVD version. Less discs to think about. As for HL I would strongly suggest getting it via Steam. The Silver package is the best bang/buck setup, and you can't buy it in stores. You will end up downloading the majority of the content via steam anyways.
what do you mean by the streaming thing about with half life??

they have two different kinds the cd one that has like tones of cds and the dvd one.

now for both i have to like update it like download patches or somthing??

i dont really understand what you mean by streaming most of it??

t33kyboy
08-12-2005, 07:35 PM
If you buy half life 2 on disk, you wont be able to get all the other mods (DOD:Souce or Half Life: Aftermath) So you should get it online... off steam (not stream)

atm743
08-12-2005, 07:37 PM
If you buy half life 2 on disk, you wont be able to get all the other mods (DOD:Souce or Half Life: Aftermath) So you should get it online... off steam (not stream)

oooo i see

what mods can you do?? are they like cheats??

bleachit
08-12-2005, 07:43 PM
mods are different games.

atm743
08-12-2005, 07:51 PM
mods are different games.

ooo like counter strike?

bleachit
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
yes, and various others, my favorite being Day of Defeat

Hexis
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Here's the page for steam:
http://www.steampowered.com/

The Silver package is the one I suggest.

atm743
08-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Here's the page for steam:
http://www.steampowered.com/

The Silver package is the one I suggest.

hmm sounds good i may do that

but it says this though

* This is an unreleased product and will be made available to purchasers upon its release. The release date for this product is uncertain and purchasers should not rely on any estimated release date.

soo its not yet out??

quik
08-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Its out.

t33kyboy
08-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Those are concerning the dates for Days of Defeat source and Half life aftermath. (which are not out yet)