PDA

View Full Version : my buddie's ripping A-5

mag88888
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I thought A-5's were almost strictly for woodsball until I saw my friend's A-5. i havent shot many real nice electros but his A-5 felt incredible. he has a JCS trigger w/ e-grip, soon to also have WAS board, palmer's stabilizer, lapco bigshot. soon to also have HPA. and he's working on a project as of right now... he didnt like how his cyclone hogged air so he's gutting his cyclone and somehow pounding an egg2 z-boarded moto and stuff with halo b eyes into the shell of his cyclone. he says its gonna work, he has a ll the parts but hes waiting on the eyes. honestly im impressed with what hes doing to his A-5. the trigger felt great, so easy to walk...I also think his "new" cyclone is cool too. what do you guys think of this?

68magOwner
08-12-2005, 07:24 PM
i think that at the end of the day, his tippy is still far to long/heavy/unweildy

mag88888
08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
we'll see...

sol tank
08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
pics/vids or shens.

bleachit
08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
i think that at the end of the day, his tippy is still far to long/heavy/unweildy

that all depends on what barrel and other junk you have on it...

sounds like a sweet project.. definately need to post pics... especially when the new cyclone stuff is done.

mag88888
08-12-2005, 08:17 PM
i think my friend is posting his pics on tippmann since he's on that forum. i'll check up with him when hes getting pics and stuff like that. ill let you guys know whats going on with this.

peewee
08-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Come on chop chop , where's our pictures???? :D :D :D . I messed around with an egrip A5 setup with the JCS trigger etc. It shot great. Made me miss my old A5 a little. :(

VTpaintballer
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok, i'm the kid with the a5... mag888888 friend
i will have pics soon, i just need to get the eyes right and thats a few more drills into my main body, which i hate doing but i soon will have it up and running, atleats i hope.
And since i'm very bored i'll tell you how i go about doing this:

Heres a brief explanation....:

First i hated how the cyclone only went 18 bps max, when i could make it go up to 25 with a WAS board, so i wanted to just keep it mech, but the cyclone has way to much friction and reseting itself slowed it down too... and co2 pushed a spring in the cyclone, making even more friction, so i decided to gut it.

Now i have bought the egg2 motor with the new z-board, clocking at about 23-25 bps from what i hear... and seems correct. I then ordered eyes from odyssey becasue the z-board eyes were connected to the board, making it impossible, so i had to buy those. Now i would explain how i'm putting it together, but you all can just wait for the pics and vid.

Now this all didn't work like class A perfection, the cyclone at 18 bps, is spinning those blades 3.5 times a second, not makeing it very safe for those paintballs, the paintballs would drop down into the cyclone then hit the blades and bounce right back up becasue it couldn't drop fast enough into the sprockets. Now to fix this problem i have to make the blades go up into the hopper so the paintballs can drop into the cyclone from all sides and its not verticle anymore. This fixes that problem.

But now there is still friction with just the blades... So i have shave down the upper blades so the hopper can fit on and i have to put teflon spray all over the inner cyclone making it all nice and smooth.

So now i wish all my problems were fixed, but things that MAY not make it work:

1: the blades will be too heavy for the motor slowing it down about 5 bps
2. the eyes, if they are not put in right or i ruined the board by putting them on wrong, anything like that

The chances i think of this working at a 24 bps speed is a 75%.
Now this whole project has cost me a lot of time and around 150$ not to to nice but it will be insane if it works, i'll have a vid and pics by the end of september i still have to install a couple more items then make it pretty with some paint, sand paper, and bondo. Excuse me for any spelling mistakes...

thanks

-John

MoneyShot
08-12-2005, 08:52 PM
it sounds pretty cool to me

warbeak2099
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM

Agreed. That's why I sold my maxed out e-tippy. It shot great, but it was way too long and unwieldy. Too big for my taste.

spyder luver
08-12-2005, 11:04 PM
i sold my tippman 98c cuz it was to heavy and to hard to shoot fast and i chopped like madd but it was a nice gun i had a select few upgrades *it worked verry well for woodsball*

sounds like a sweet project though if u do it all right i think that would be awsome

bleachit
08-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Agreed. That's why I sold my maxed out e-tippy. It shot great, but it was way too long and unwieldy. Too big for my taste.

what size barrel did you have on your tippy?

min 98 is shorter than my spyder with a 14" on it.. but I use the stock on the tippy.

onedude36
08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
cant you just take off the cyclone feed? I know you can put one on a 98, so would it work the other way arround too? use a 98 feed elbow thing?

Or even better, mod it for centerfeed and a feedneck.

warbeak2099
08-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I had an 11" Aradus. It was still a long and unwieldy gun. Spyders are long too but not as long. I just don't like guns with the foregrip being spaced out from the trigger gaurd. I like everything nice and tight.

Bear_Claw
08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Eh i love my tippy and its STILL my prefered marke for woods and still seen some speed ball use over the mag. And my tippys a Pro/Carbine witch is quiet noticably longer than the 98c i used to have a LONG time ago.

Guess ya just gotta be use to hadeling larger objects :D .

I actually tossing around the idea of scraping my mag project infavor of getting a rt/or egriped 98Pro with cyclone just for something to tinker with.

yingyang
08-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I dont want to rain on your parade, butttttttttttt the blow back valve wont keep up with a constant 20 bps, it will have resetting problems....but maybe yours is special :clap:

peewee
08-13-2005, 09:14 PM
You might try swapping the cyclone feed for a Q loader or warp.....

VTpaintballer
08-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I dont want to rain on your parade, butttttttttttt the blow back valve wont keep up with a constant 20 bps, it will have resetting problems....but maybe yours is special :clap:

no, the 98c can keep going at a 24bps rate. meaning a5 can

If you would like a video just ask, its somewhere on the tippmann forum

yakitori
08-14-2005, 09:18 AM
it might be able to keep up w/ that rof w/ an EXTREMELY high flow tank.

Not only that, tippys kick like a mule. If you have watched the WAS video w/ PSP ramping mode, that gun is all over the place. And they are bulky and sound like a cannon. They are terribly ineffecient too.

But it is a low end blowback so what do you expect. They are built like tanks and are good for woodsball though.

warbeak2099
08-14-2005, 11:42 AM
LP Kit fixes the kick and efficiency problem. I had one and it chanegd the gun entirely. It was way quieter, had very little kick, and had decent efficiency. Well worth the $120.

drg
08-14-2005, 02:18 PM
They are built like tanks and are good for woodsball though.

Just curious, what is the deal with the A5's reputation as "good for woodsball"? The only thing I can think of that it has going for it is the possibility of using a flatline. Otherwise, by my reckoning, any other gun that would be better on a speedball field would be better in the woods from a performance perspective, as long as the colors were woods-friendly. I play in the woods fairly often and A5s aren't particularly threatening, as far as I can tell.

Are we talking about the "scenario" look/feel?

yakitori
08-14-2005, 07:40 PM
ya and the LP kit also increases weight and bulkyness. Why spend 120 on an addition to an A5 when nowadays you can get so many other high end guns for a little bit more.

An a5 w/ egrip and was, and LPK, etc still doesnt compare to other guns for the same price.

And tippmann just has a reputation of making guns that are geared more toward the rec/scenario player than speedball. You can use any gun in speedball, but why walk onto the field w/ ppl shooting trixes, timmys, shockers, etc when you have a superbly upped a5. You still wont get that great of efficiency and kick will not be reduced that much since it is still a blowback and will only have a slightly less reciprocating mass even w/ the LPK. just cause you drop the pressure down from 800+ to 400 or so doesnt make it kick all that much less. Maybe slightly less.

sol tank
08-14-2005, 08:41 PM
still no pics/vids...

come on...shens...prove me wrong.

master_alexander
08-14-2005, 09:13 PM
here is MINE:

the gun:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/2914/a58he.png

the frame:
http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frame0vx.png

its from my f/s thread.. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181072)

i love it, but i want to try something new... it shoots so nice with the new frame.

Archangel Zer0
08-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Just curious, what is the deal with the A5's reputation as "good for woodsball"? The only thing I can think of that it has going for it is the possibility of using a flatline. Otherwise, by my reckoning, any other gun that would be better on a speedball field would be better in the woods from a performance perspective, as long as the colors were woods-friendly. I play in the woods fairly often and A5s aren't particularly threatening, as far as I can tell.

Are we talking about the "scenario" look/feel?
They're talking about the "drop it and kick it around in the dirt" reliability of the marker. Pretty much all Tippmann guns are constructed of heavier materials and are easier to repair than higher end electros. The mil-sim cosmetic upgrades for the marker also make it popular among woodsballers. A fully upgraded A5 can run in excess of a grand, so I usually recommend that people who are looking for high performance buy a marker more in line with what they're looking for.

VTpaintballer
08-15-2005, 04:02 PM
well we all will see when i'm done with it, and then everyone can see the truth about an a5 possibly hitting 24 bps. i'm not sure myself how the out come will be, i've never seen an a5 past 18bps.

warbeak2099
08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
It's been done. Countless people with RT'ed tippys over on the tippmann forum have posted vids of their guns shooting around 22bps. With paint that is. Yes, they were sound tested.

brianlojeck
08-15-2005, 06:21 PM
>Not only that, tippys kick like a mule

.50 caliber Desert Eagle pistols kick like a mule.

10 guage shotguns kick like a mule.

If you can't control the kick of a tippmann (or any paintgun for that matter) you need to do more wrist exercises. The kick is noticible, but not anything close to mule-like or troublesome.

VTpaintballer
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
It's been done. Countless people with RT'ed tippys over on the tippmann forum have posted vids of their guns shooting around 22bps. With paint that is. Yes, they were sound tested.

i dont think thats with the a5, 98c yes, but a5 no, its impossible, a5 chops over 18, unless you do some insane mods to it

and i am taking care of the kick problem

warbeak2099
08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
You do realize that an a-5 and a 98c are internally identical. The cyclone chops after around 18bps, but you're fixing the feed rate problem. And other people have too, they've removed the cyclone and put on a Halo, Warp w/ another loaader, or Qloader. Come to think of it, one of the vids I saw was in fact an a-5. It was hooked up to a scuba tank (regulated down), it had an RT, and the guy got it over 20bps with very little chops. If anyone else has seen the vid it's taken in some kind of desert/dry plain environment. It almost looked like the guy was living on a ranch.

VTpaintballer
08-16-2005, 08:26 PM
You do realize that an a-5 and a 98c are internally identical. The cyclone chops after around 18bps, but you're fixing the feed rate problem. And other people have too, they've removed the cyclone and put on a Halo, Warp w/ another loaader, or Qloader. Come to think of it, one of the vids I saw was in fact an a-5. It was hooked up to a scuba tank (regulated down), it had an RT, and the guy got it over 20bps with very little chops. If anyone else has seen the vid it's taken in some kind of desert/dry plain environment. It almost looked like the guy was living on a ranch.

ok that i understand, but they took the a5 off, making it almost alike to the 98c, but i'm keeping my cyclone, and trying to make it up to 25 bps.

sol tank
08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
been a week now buddy...still no pics or vids...

VTPBPlayer
08-17-2005, 02:42 PM
been a week now buddy...still no pics or vids...

ok read, he said the end of september buddy

VTpaintballer
08-18-2005, 09:04 PM
ok read, he said the end of september buddy

i did, but new change of plans guys, sorry but since there is a high demand for football and school stuff in my life, ym project has slowed down, i still hope for end of september but my only free times are the weekends so i'll try my best. sorry

-john