PDA

View Full Version : New Computer... I can Game again!

digitard
08-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I used to be all into computer gaming... then I got into console gaming and my computer slowly faded out and parts became obsolete (aka my GeForce 4 TI 4200 that cant handle diddly).

So... I finally decided to buy a new computer, well I guess breaking my laptop LCD helped that, since I'm going back to school and my wife is already in school so we need 2 desktops since we work the same shifts and both need to study and I hate doing that on a laptop.

The other reason, obviously, is I wanna play some of the newer games. BF2 is my big one... plus I have some cool beta's I haven't tried due to system, or lack there of, issues.

Here's what I built. It should be here Wednesday.
- AMD XP64 3000+ (overcloking to 4000+ or near)
- DFI Lanparty UT nf4
- 256mb GeForce 6800GT (Leadtek, so will be slightly OC'd as well)
- 1gig PC3200 OCZ memory (2gigs next month when i start video editing again)
- 160gb Hitachi SATAII drive w/ 120gig and 60gig WD ATA storage drives (already owned those 2)
- Antec SonataII case w/ 450w Smartpower 2.0 PSU.
- Generic Logitech keyboard (i just hate my current one)
- Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Heatsink/Fan (for the overclocking) w/ some Arctic Silver 5 paste
- Plus some of my already existing stuff (Audigy 2, NEC 2500a DVDRW, Logitech Optical Mouse, etc).

My current computer (2400+, 1gig pc2100, 60gig Maxtor, 128mb GeForce 4 ti 4200, etc) will be going to the wife so she can have it just for her use/work.

Cant wait cant wait!

D.

Will Wood
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Yea, I'm picking up BF2 Thursday.
I meet the bare specs for it, hopefully gameplay will be playable at least on the lowest settings.

I havn't bought a game in the past couple years, (actually only HL2, but half the reason was for CS) and I vowed not to waste money on games, but a friend dragged me to a local gaming center and they have kick *** computers there and I played BF2 for a couple hours. Had a blast, now I have to buy the darn game. I'm not trying any demos in the future, I fear I might be suckered into more games when I should be saving up lol.

anyways, nice computer! :dance:

Chipper
08-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Nice, how much are you paying for it?

digitard
08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
950 shipped. Got it all at Newegg for ease.

MadPSIence
08-13-2005, 08:49 PM
damn nice rig. I have a 3.0 P4 , 1 gig pc3200 and an FX5700LE (256mb) and I have some trouble running BF2 and HalfLife 2 at high res and detail without some bad lag. Doom 3 is a write off.... so basically I quit gaming for a bit and play Xbox.

i'm going to upgrade when vista comes out.

Gitaroo Man
08-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I found it doesn't matter how good your computer is for BF2...it still has major problems. I got a 4000+ 1 gig and 6800 Ultra and it still jerks around so yeah. Great game thought and nice comp!

Arstron
08-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I am not a AMD fan, but I am with you on the antec case and quick silver though. :) My other case is a Thermal Take Xaser, I love that case, lots of room for air flow. Comes with plenty of fans. Its great, but it is huge!

Pyroboy597
08-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Ive got two Dell XPS's, fully loaded with all the extra video memory and RAM i could get. You should try playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It has to be the best free game ever. The graphics are similar to Call of Duties, but the game play is much fastre paced with more weapons like Flamethrowers, Panzers, airtrikes, artillery. Its a great game.